Buying a new Device for just Kodi? Keep this in mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a new Device for just Kodi? Keep this in mind

Alot of talk is happening re Support for Andriod devices. Without a main Android coder at Kodi. Its up in the air. Heres a quick list of device os that wont have an issue. Linux/Windows/Amilogic/OSI(Apple) plus a few more. and you notice that amilogic is supported yes and No. Its supported because manufactures code to the api for that device. Rock chip is Not supported because they refuse to conform to the api. Amilogic uses the mediacodec so it should be fine.

Spin offs or forks of kodi if supported by manufacture should work. But heres my point. How many custom versions will have to be made for rockchip devices its time Rockchip started working and meeting the api. Kodi is not changing thier stance. Below the point they make and will continue to make even if they do get a lead android programer.

The problem is not the Hardware here but the resources available from the Kodi devs and the actual manpower to support all Android platforms. Its clearly impossible.
    And this goes to the bigger problem at the heart of the Google Android platform, that being one of fragmentation across many many Hardware chipsets, all with different implementations.

As Ned has already said the only way forward is the Android media API, MediaCodec. And for that the Hardware sellers and their Firmware devs need to get onboard.
    Buy a device with no Firmware support, well you get what you pay for and there is no way the Kodi devs are going to write specific code just for your device. (Suggestion - sell your unsupported device now)
    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

scooter2014 I totally agree and this should be a sticky...
    kind regards
    cyber7 (aka Aubrey Kloppers; Cape Town; South Africa)
    http://www.cyber7.co.za / http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com

Comment

Definitely good to consider. Thanks for the post scooter2014. RK needs to get with it.

Comment

The most stable platform that I have that supports Kodi well is Windows 10 on my Pipo X7S. I bought a Beelink i68 to pair with a 4K Vizio. The i68 is a decent platform, but the various flavors of Kodi have had me experimenting more on this platform than any other. The Zidoo variant of Kodi has been most promising and may be the ultimate solution. I would hope that the code developed for the RK devices would/will ultimately be included with the official Kodi releases.
        Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), A95x Max, WD EX2 NAS

Comment

Wont happen thats already been hashed out. Rockchip or manufactures need to conform to api.
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

When you start to look into this with eyes open you see open electric on amilogic devices. Same person gave me a pi zero and ran kodi from it works (slow but useable and video was clear and no jumps stops ect) Same person Showed kodi on 5 os platform devices all ran well. Qoutes from past Amilogic here Rockchip had better step up or lose market space.. To date they have not. Linux hardware support only possible thanks to Mac1. And that is only for kodi in linux in Rockchip devices. Fixes to device to just get to run smooth 89 percent Thanks to Developers not rockchip or manufactures. Alot here still. Koying also a freaktab member called Rockchip out on providing code never released. I have windows linux based tv boxes shield and sound video just work. Kodi finally telling them do whats right conform to the api. Everyone bashing Kodi. Maybe time to put the blame back to where it actually belongs. Rockchip sooooooo long this has been coming for you maybe its carma for the T chip devices?

My last coment on the subject.

Comment

I see your point after doing some research on the API Kodi requires. The last 20 years I have supported a major ERP system that allows third party 'bolt on' applications. These application must use the prescribed API calls to and from the main application or the vendor will not certify the third party. In this instance, Rockchip is the third party and must support Kodi API requirement or lose market share.

Comment

Thanks to Scooter for a most informative post.

It seems that amlogic has decide to join rockchip in not supporting kodi api.

Comment

I just picked up an AMlogic s905x. It is running stock Kodi 16.1 and gives me no audio problems at all. Pretty cheap through Geekbuying.com. Will jump to 17 when in general release. Installed ROM is not rooted, so be advised.

Comment

Witch device? I have m8s/tanix/nexbox

Comment

Mini M8S 2g/8g. Plays any 4K that I can throw at it.

Comment

On stock firmware???

Comment

Originally posted by cjeman View Post
                          Mini M8S 2g/8g. Plays any 4K that I can throw at it.
                          I have a MiniMX and 4K videos stutter heavily, over 60mbps videos and the latest firmware from Beelink also has problems with pass-through.
                          On a RK3368 no stutter problems or audio problems with the same videos.
                          So you must play very low bitrate 4K videos and only use stereo sound to not have any problems since official Kodi has no Amlogic support?

Comment

Same here thats why i asked about stock firmware lol

Comment

I have a Beelink i68g running Tronsmart R68 with ZDMC that runs pretty well, but not as well as the M8S for 4K. They are used with a Vizio 4K that can do up to 60fps. The M8S plays any 4K file that I throw at it. Now, these 4K files are mostly test clips that I have gotten off the Net. Some of these are at 60fps but are mostly Stereo. The M8S is new so I have just begun to test 4K content. I will concentrate on DTS & DD5.1 content and let you guys know. Manufacturers that do not honor Kodi's API for passthru are causing us to use branded versions of Kodi to get around audio issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X