Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI passthrough magic in resource.img

mo123
    So I am using the latest firmware from Nexbox. Unfortunately, HDMI passthrough option is absent in Kodi.
    The magic is in the resource.img.
    As soon as I replace the stock resource.img with HPH_NT-V8_v1.2 by mo123 resource.img, HDMI passthrough option appears in Kodi. Attached are the dts files for both stock and HPH resource files.
    I tried comparing these two files, but cannot pin point the "magic" node that causes HDMI passthrough option to appear in Kodi and actually work.

PS: I cannot use HPH resource.img as it is, because it has additional differences that cause the remote & LED to not work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ontherocks; 08-13-2016, 18:45.

HDMI pass-through has more to do with the kernel & system images & the Kodi app itself.
    I don't think using the resource.img only will be effective.
    Best to try the latest firmware

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
      HDMI pass-through has more to do with the kernel & system images & the Kodi app itself.
      I don't think using the resource.img only will be effective.
      Best to try the latest firmware
      http://chinagadgetsreviews.com/firmware-nexbox-z68.html
      I did not mention all the details of the modified firmware that I am using so that the post does not become complex to miss out the main point, i.e. what is the magic node in the device tree of HPH NT that causes HDMI passthrough to work.
      What I am using is lonix v9-5 firmware based on Zidoo with the resource and kernel replaced from the latest Z68 firmware i.e. exactly the one you have mentioned.
      Believe it or not, everything else remaining same, HDMI passthrough option appears in Kodi (and it actually works) just by replacing resource from HPH NT.
      So the magic is in the device tree (in this case).
      Last edited by ontherocks; 08-14-2016, 07:05.

Comment

goodnews, but after you use HPH resource, I could not make the remote work. led doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by GZD View Post
          goodnews, but after you use HPH resource, I could not make the remote work. led doesn't matter.
          If you are looking for a working resource.img to use with @lonix v9-5 firmware, Stzo created some excellent ones. Download from the attachment and use any one of them. Everything works, including wifi, HDMI passthough, ac3 transcoding, remote except the mute button.
          Attached Files

Comment

So you mean use lonix v9.5 with kernel from new nexbox rom and the resource from stzo from up attachment. I will try it today.

Comment

Originally posted by GZD View Post
              So you mean use lonix v9.5 with kernel from new nexbox rom and the resource from stzo from up attachment. I will try it today.
              That is correct.

Comment

Thanks for that tip ontherocks, best solution I've had for my Z68 after 5 days of stuffing about with all the different combinations. Movies are playing brilliantly with DTS/DD5.1 going out via spdif. I've only got one problem remaining which I'm hoping one of you geniuses can help me with.... why doesn't my music also play via spdif? I tried a music video too (which is just a rip from youtube) and same problem - it goes out via HDMI to my TV... Surely that's an easy problem to solve? Thanks to anyone who can point out what I'm missing.
                Last edited by Scholten; 09-07-2016, 01:59.

Comment

Bugger, not so good after all. If I skip forward in a movie, sound drops out. I think best take this over to the Kodi thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Scholten View Post
                    Thanks for that tip ontherocks, best solution I've had for my Z68 after 5 days of stuffing about with all the different combinations. Movies are playing brilliantly with DTS/DD5.1 going out via spdif. I've only got one problem remaining which I'm hoping one of you geniuses can help me with.... why doesn't my music also play via spdif? I tried a music video too (which is just a rip from youtube) and same problem - it goes out via HDMI to my TV... Surely that's an easy problem to solve? Thanks to anyone who can point out what I'm missing.
                    Post a screenshot of the Kodi Audio Settings.

Comment

Thanks ontherocks, I've tried many other combinations of Kodi settings, as well as the FTMC 16.1 kodi with same results.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Thanks ontherocks, I've tried many other combinations of Kodi settings, as well as the FTMC 16.1 kodi with same results.
                        I carried out some testing with my setup.

1. I connected an optical cable from Z68 to my Receiver
                        2. I connected an HDMI cable from Z68 to my TV
                        3. I went to Settings-->Sound and set it to SPDIF passthrough (Not HDMI passthrough)
                        4. Launched an online music streaming app. I get perfect audio from my Receiver speakers
                        5. Launched youtube and played some video. I get perfect audio from my Receiver speakers
                        6. Launched Kodi and played some MP3s. I get perfect audio from my Receiver speakers
                        7. Launched Kodi and played some DTS and DD audio files. I get perfect audio from my Receiver speakers

The Kodi settings were same as yours. The key setting might be Point #3.

Comment

Thanks again Ontherocks - sadly point 3 is the same for me - it's set to SPDIF. Out of interest, do you get sound to your TV as well? Because if I'm playing MP3 I get sound on the TV, but not to the receiver. I don't get sound on the TV when DTS or DD is working on the receiver from a movie.

I'm going to break out a "clean" Z68 and start from scratch again and see if I can get this licked. It's too convenient a solution if it works to simply throw it out.

Comment

I reloaded a 5 year old PC which has SPDIF. Windows 10 latest version, Kodi 16.1 stock standard, everything works. After enjoying some movies and music, back to the Z68's. Loaded lonix v9-5 with resource and kernel replaced as per above. DTS plays spdif, nice. DD5.1 plays spdif, nice. For the life of me - my receiver detects linear PCM when playing music (MP3, Flac, whatever), but no sound - except if I turn up my TV I can hear it through the HDMI there.

It's ok - I have a working solution with the Win10 box, but seriously, I just don't get how you guys have it working and after flashing 3 different Z68 boxes with so many different combinations, I can't get a working spdif Z68. Can I borrow yours ontherocks to try here?

Comment

Thanks again Ontherocks - sadly point 3 is the same for me - it's set to SPDIF. Out of interest, do you get sound to your TV as well? Because if I'm playing MP3 I get sound on the TV, but not to the receiver. I don't get sound on the TV when DTS or DD is working on the receiver from a movie.
                              In my case, for MP3s I get audio both from my TV and receiver simultaneously.
                              For DTS and DD audio files, I get audio only from my receiver. This is expected as my TV cannot decode DTS or DD audio, i.e. multichannel encoded audio.

When playing MP3s pull out the HDMI cable from Z68 or TV. Do you get audio from your receiver?

Comment

Working...
                              X