Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexbox - Z68 HPH-Nagrace NT-V8 edition by STZO

Hi Guys,

I create this new topic to make it clear and easier to find another possible replacement to the unusable stock firmware of the Z68 TV box sold by Geekbuying. Similar to other variants, this one also has pros and cons, but it increases the chance to everyone to find the most suitable ROM for their device. This ROM was composed mainly from parts of other published firmwares, with adding some modifications on some of them to adjust its features and supports to the Z68 specific hardware. Unfortunately, the hardware (as it comes from the factory) has some weakness, as the processor cooling is concerned. In order to have a reliable device, you must have to install an appropriate heat-sink onto the SoC. A possible solution you can see on this photo:

http://freaktab.com/album/567945-nex...os-ut4-edition

The basics come from the HPH NT-V8 software made and published by mo123, hardware support added by STZO, and also the boot logos and animation were replaced as a label of the composer. This is my last attempt with HPH-Nagrace firmware mod. This is version #4 already, as prevoius ones had some booting problems. Finally, I successfully localized and solved the problems with the booting, and so I now publish here the mostly corrected ROM of version #4.

What's working perfectly:

- 2,4 and 5GHz wifi
    - gigabit LAN
    - fully functional IR remote (factory functions)
    - auto-framerate changing
    - audio passthrough (DTS, Dolby Digital)
    - blue LED when operated (near zero power consumption only when it lights in Red)
    - 0,1-0,2W standby power consumption (no need of power off!)
    - lifetime license

Not tested by me:

- USB HDD support
    - bluetooth headphone support
    - HD audio passthrough (some people reported that they work too)

Remaining issues (will not be solved by me, any time):

- no auto-reboot during the installation (it was the situation with original nagrace rom too)
    - no power off function (Z86 hardware specific feature, but not necessary, see above)
    - MCH PCM to Dolby Digital transcoding in KODI has problems (better not to use it)
    - MAC address' (IP numbers) are changing at every boot-up (it can finally be solved with this tool: UpgradeDllTool_Release_v1.35: https://mega.nz/#!XplFzSCR!CRV8zYNZ5...M3465prlCtRnDc )

Actually, most of you could be satisfied with this ROM. Transcoding option in KODI must left turned off (default setting). Stereo sound is always perfect even if MCH PCM audio is played. Movies with DTS or DD sound will be played perfectly, too.

Link to the ROM:

https://mega.nz/#!X5sHRaBQ!1bnEv7bDa...H2wSssYOC4iA0U

Install hints:

At the first powering after the upgrade, it will not automatically reboot. You have to make a power off/on cycle when it shows "rebooting...". Following the reboot, the fist run takes approx 10 minutes to install the applications before is stands up. Since that time you can enjoy all functionalities.
    Please be patient during the boot animation at the first run, it lasts about 8-10 minutes (apps are installed). Later it boots up in approx. 30 seconds.

If you want having Root, you should check the box in the Settings/Accessibility menu. AnTuTu benchmark is 30-31000. LAN speed is 90Mbit up, 180 Mbit down, wifi speed is 12Mbit up, 18Mbit down at 5GHz (2,4 GHz is similar), measured with 32kB packet sizes.
    Audio lag in DTS and DD movies is approx. 0,3 sec.

Wifi speed test results you may see on the screenshots below (although I measued better values as well).

If you want to hide system bar (as it can only be used with a mouse), may install "Fullsreen" apk: http://apk-dl.com/files/56324ecee2e168ee2bf06845 .

I also tried this addon in KODI:

plugin.video.youtube-master
    https://mega.nz/#!qhVFnJ7K!JFuBJWkYR...pAVOOoZU_Q8N-8

this is the first way of getting auto-framerate changes when playing YouTube videos that I found. Works perfectly!

Attached Files

Additional information:

Maybe you need to wipe the storage before flashing! (It ensures that no junk remains in the empty spaces, which could make trouble if getting a call accidentally.) Use Android Tool to do that:

https://mega.nz/#!X5M1CQ4S!a__lJtR0q...VXSgapu7RV-Ly0

When using Android tool to download img files, for separate file downloads please use this (or equivalent) config file (enclosed with the above package too) in Android Tool:

https://mega.nz/#!HtdniJ5A!vMhZM8oox...6gY1ejSOSdsJAs

Image file names and locations should be set to the actual ones, or select them by clicking on the "..." cell of the table.
    Last edited by Stzo; 05-13-2016, 12:24.
    Regards, STZO

Thanks STZO. So nice of you now you will be getting feedback quickly...

Comment

You will receive the following on first boot. Just switch off power and power the box again. It will boot normally.

Code:
      Recovery system v5.0

E:failed to mount /mnt/external_sd (No such device) ​
      E:failed to mount /mnt/external_sd (No such device)
      Formatting /data...
      Formatting /cache...
      Formatting /mnt/internal_sd...
      Rebooting...

Comment

Hi STZO, thank you for your work on the Z68 box.
        I am completely new here and have just purchased first Android TV box(es) (Z68 2G/16G, MX Plus (s905), Zidoo X6). I have read all of the Z68 threads and your modified Nagrace FW is very nice for what I am doing (support multi-user under 5.1 - Nexlight FW did not support multi-user and modifying the build.prop file (2 lines) did not resolve that).
        When I boot the box I get a momentary error which flashes up on the screen as the system desktop starts, although I have not yet captured the string (I may have to video and watch the frames)?
        Should I have cleared the flash or similar before flashing your v4 img? (I was trying Nexlight 3a before)... Sorry I am sure that might not be enough information... (Is there a log or similar that will show the error?)

Comment

Originally posted by ontherocks View Post
          You will receive the following on first boot. Just switch off power and power the box again. It will boot normally.

Code:
          Recovery system v5.0

E:failed to mount /mnt/external_sd (No such device)
          Formatting /data...
          Formatting /cache...
          Formatting /mnt/internal_sd...
          Rebooting...
          Yes, it's normal in this situation. Probably, no SD card inserted into the box. Automatic rebooting does not work here, as I explained above, it did not work with the Nagrace ROM as well.
          Regards, STZO

Comment

Originally posted by Daximus View Post
            Hi STZO, thank you for your work on the Z68 box.
            I am completely new here and have just purchased first Android TV box(es) (Z68 2G/16G, MX Plus (s905), Zidoo X6). I have read all of the Z68 threads and your modified Nagrace FW is very nice for what I am doing (support multi-user under 5.1 - Nexlight FW did not support multi-user and modifying the build.prop file (2 lines) did not resolve that).
            When I boot the box I get a momentary error which flashes up on the screen as the system desktop starts, although I have not yet captured the string (I may have to video and watch the frames)?
            Should I have cleared the flash or similar before flashing your v4 img? (I was trying Nexlight 3a before)... Sorry I am sure that might not be enough information... (Is there a log or similar that will show the error?)
            Hi Daximius,

That error message comes from the Android system somewhere, I could not find the source. Otherwise, I did not experience any drawback of it. mo123 wrote that this message appears when the hardware is different from HPH. I don't know more.
            Regards, STZO

Comment

Stzo, thank you for answering my question. I will not re-flash the box again now as I have not seen any issue related to the message. Regards and once more thanks...

Comment

Stzo, thank you for answering my question. I will not re-flash the box again now as I have not seen any issue related to the message. Regards and once more thanks...
                Hi again,
                The message comes up at every reboot, do not take care about it.
                Regards, STZO

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  Thanks STZO. So nice of you now you will be getting feedback quickly...
                  Was a bit hard to find the way how to create a new topic...
                  Regards, STZO

Comment

The message on start-up is because of missing drivers and settings from NexBox Z64 that is present in HPH RK3368 for Le Home Remote Control Assistant.

Comment

Hi mo123,

Thank you for your kind assistance with presenting this nice description about Le Home Assistant!
                      Regards, STZO

Comment

Hi and thanks both of you for this Rom. I used the geekbuying firmware for a while and then updated to this one. I noticed a few things. This Rom is faster by 5K points in Antutu (30K v 35K), the WLAN speed is almost the same (around 30-40Mbit) but the speed comes to a high price... the heatsink is getting very hot... Its hot even on idle and it gets very hot while reboot (boot) process.

Is this Version overclocked and the governor set to performance? I cant see that because I have not find a way to root this Rom... Is there a way to get root on this rom (geekbuying Rom was prerooted)?

Thanks...
                        Last edited by jit18; 05-19-2016, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by jit18 View Post
                          Hi and thanks both of you for this Rom. I used the geekbuying firmware for a while and then updated to this one. I noticed a few things. This Rom is faster by 5K points in Antutu (30K v 35K), the WLAN speed is almost the same (around 30-40Mbit) but the speed comes to a high price... the heatsink is getting very hot... Its hot even on idle and it gets very hot while reboot (boot) process.

Is this Version overclocked and the governor set to performance? I cant see that because I have not find a way to root this Rom... Is there a way to get root on this rom (geekbuying Rom was prerooted)?

Thanks...
                          Hi ji18,

The rom is not overclocked. You may check the clock frequencies with KernelAuditor. Root can be switched on and off in the Accessibility menu on the setting tab. After turning it on, the device reboots, and since then it is rooted. I measured the power consumption, it is 2W when idling, approx. 3W when movie is played, and 4-5W during the boot. What do you mean "very hot"? Heat sink temperature around 50-60C is quite normal. Did you connect any external device to the box?
                          Regards, STZO

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply...

Originally posted by Stzo View Post
                            What do you mean "very hot"? Heat sink temperature around 50-60C is quite normal. Did you connect any external device to the box?
                            Wow... I didnt measure the Temperature but it feels like 60C plus...

Here is a Pic of my Z68...
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jit18 View Post
                              Thank you for your quick reply...

Wow... I didnt measure the Temperature but it feels like 60C plus...

Here is a Pic of my Z68...
                              It looks great, especially that the box is opened. (Although bit strange.) I did not open the box like this (drilled only some holes on the bottom), have a similar size sink, but the box is warm only, not hot. I don't know what could be the problem. (One time my device stucked into a high power state during the experiments with another software, then it boiled up until reboot.) Btw., you may buy a power measuring device for approx. $10-20 (take care if it is capable to measure the real effective power) and so you can see the relation between the warm up and the power. Average power consumption may not exceed the values that I explained above.
                              Regards, STZO

Comment

Working...
                              X