Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan for UT4

Here are some Pictures of the Processes :

On the last Picture you can see the cutable PC Dust Protection that i bought Weeks before.Later i post a Picture of the

rebuild Device.

nice Day

Greetings

gefatttern
    Last edited by gefattern; 10-27-2017, 02:28.

Hi ,

here a Picture of the rebuild Box

url=http://www.fotos-hochladen.net][/url]

hope it helps others with hot running TV Boxes.

Greetings

gefattern

Comment

My Amlogic s912 box regularly exceeded 70C while running 1080p streams & gaming.

Here is my solution - dropped the temp ~ 22 F For you Celsius types, max temp @ 100% cpu utilization test w/ 22 threads maxed out at 57 C after 6 minutes. I aimed the fan under the box so the cold air is drawn from the top over the heat sink by creating low pressure like a wing. There are adequate ventilation holes on bottom but none in the plastic cover. The MB restricts airflow to a small crack around the edges in this box.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Mine , did it on an Alfawise. Hole sawed 1" . Use a blower instead of a fan.

Comment

Pancho, looks good & puts the air where it does the most good too ! I think I will use one of the $10 tablet/phone Amazon cooling pads w/ the box upside down as my permanent fix, since that will let me swap to every new box easily or might rummage thru my old junk for a small cpu fan but they look like crap like my present setup, LOL . I don't understand why they do not design in better ventilation for these boxes - they must know they can run hot & misbehave. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

BTW, love snorkeling thru this forum !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Trout View Post
            Pancho, looks good & puts the air where it does the most good too ! I think I will use one of the $10 tablet/phone Amazon cooling pads w/ the box upside down as my permanent fix, since that will let me swap to every new box easily or might rummage thru my old junk for a small cpu fan but they look like crap like my present setup, LOL . I don't understand why they do not design in better ventilation for these boxes - they must know they can run hot & misbehave. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

BTW, love snorkeling thru this forum !!
            Just replaced the big cooler. It was just too noisy and bulky.
            This one is a smaller 5V fan. Just soldered the two wires to the USB slot it the board. Used two small zip ties.
            I don't know why they really don't use a larger heat sink and more holes either.

Comment

The issue always is just how robust the fan output is and how good the internal power is when you start adding more to the USB ports. I always plug in a USB device powered by a powered USB hub. That ensures you don't drop the MB voltage too low. You might want to run a stress test on the cpu at 100% load on all cores to see if your fan is adequate for the job. I used this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...throttlingtest and it did the job well with the default settings. Best not to run the test for too long - it beats the hell out of the CPU to run flat out for more than a few mins. Here is my results.

PS I plug a USB hard disk DVD writer, flash drives, microSD, etc into my USBs so you might not have that issue.

Comment

The issue always is just how robust the fan output is and how good the internal power is when you start adding more to the USB ports. I always plug in a USB device powered by a powered USB hub. That ensures you don't drop the MB voltage too low. You might want to run a stress test on the cpu at 100% load on all cores to see if your fan is adequate for the job. I used this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...throttlingtest and it did the job well with the default settings. Best not to run the test for too long - it beats the hell out of the CPU to run flat out for more than a few mins. Here is my results.

PS I plug a USB hard disk DVD writer, flash drives, microSD, etc into my USBs so you might not have that issue.

It had no problem running the heavier CPU blower . It was staying cooler with that blower in fact. But, it was just too loud for me. Bulky too.

Comment

I believe that about the noise, lol. Nice chatting w/ you - off to check out the H96 MAX threads. I like the looks of that box for my next toy now that 7.1.2 runs on it.

Comment

I believe that about the noise, lol. Nice chatting w/ you - off to check out the H96 MAX threads. I like the looks of that box for my next toy now that 7.1.2 runs on it.
                    For that price, I recommend the Fire TV box ( 2015 model ). I have NVIDIA Shield too. But, the Fire TV gets more mileage nowadays. Paid $2.99 for 6 months of Amazon Prime at ****.

Comment

Originally posted by panchovilla View Post

For that price, I recommend the Fire TV box ( 2015 model ). I have NVIDIA Shield too. But, the Fire TV gets more mileage nowadays. Paid $2.99 for 6 months of Amazon Prime at ****.
                      LOL, I have an old Fire TV Stick. PIA. (Replaced it with a Win10 Minix Box) Fire TV has NO usb 2 no usb 3, not enuf internal storage or RAM, I have prime but Prime TV (member for years) is like a pitiful shadow of NetFlix and I found THAT to be too confining without the breadth of sources access of Kodi w/ Android 7.1 which has free access to everything. I have a large personal collection of vids made from my dvd (backups) & music integrated into my systems. After 40 years of building computers & programming, I am not about to use a walled garden of proprietary OS that regularly smashes my installation setup. So thanks for advice but I am well past that dumbed down Android 5.x POS. I just like playing with toys as do you, apparently. Fast toys. With USB 3 & C, ethernet, like real computers have these days even if they are cheap toys that I will open up & tinker with. ~100 - 125 bux range of a RK3399 box is way more than a Fire TV goes for anyway although by the time you kludge all the hardware it needs, you certainly can spend that much if FireTV would let you.

The U2C i have posted pix of does quite well, runs everything decently. I just want more zip on a computer than it provides at $70 and better USB since I am plugging old USB 3 devices into it's USB 2 ports. A year or two from now I will want some other toy that has wings and a prayer or something. It's just what I do.

My best to ya ! Keep an eye out for Obregón ...

Comment

LOL, I have an old Fire TV Stick. PIA. (Replaced it with a Win10 Minix Box) Fire TV has NO usb 2 no usb 3, not enuf internal storage or RAM, I have prime but Prime TV (member for years) is like a pitiful shadow of NetFlix and I found THAT to be too confining without the breadth of sources access of Kodi w/ Android 7.1 which has free access to everything. I have a large personal collection of vids made from my dvd (backups) & music integrated into my systems. After 40 years of building computers & programming, I am not about to use a walled garden of proprietary OS that regularly smashes my installation setup. So thanks for advice but I am well past that dumbed down Android 5.x POS. I just like playing with toys as do you, apparently. Fast toys. With USB 3 & C, ethernet, like real computers have these days even if they are cheap toys that I will open up & tinker with. ~100 - 125 bux range of a RK3399 box is way more than a Fire TV goes for anyway although by the time you kludge all the hardware it needs, you certainly can spend that much if FireTV would let you.

The U2C i have posted pix of does quite well, runs everything decently. I just want more zip on a computer than it provides at $70 and better USB since I am plugging old USB 3 devices into it's USB 2 ports. A year or two from now I will want some other toy that has wings and a prayer or something. It's just what I do.

My best to ya ! Keep an eye out for Obregón ...
                        Fire Stick and Fire TV BOX are two different animals.
                        The Fire TV plays Netflix at full HD or UHD too.
                        I can't complain much about Amazon Prime. I only paid less than $3 at fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by panchovilla View Post

Fire Stick and Fire TV BOX are two different animals.
                          Not really. Same Android 5.x custom OS version that updates & smashes your installs. Same lack of ports, storage, app stores. There really isn't any reason to spend 85/70 bux for a Fire TV compared to the $70 U2C (or equal s912 or even 905X) with standard Android 7.1, 4 usb ports, optical out, no ethernet in new, 2GB/16GB compared to 2/8 for either old or new. Regular 6.x or 7.1 Android OS is crappy enough without having to ration storage space for apps that won't completely load into the added storage anyway. A couple of large 3d graphics games plus kodi and that's all she wrote in 8Gb. Then you have to micromanage your apps to install new ones. We won't get into the advertising thing ... which I find annoying but not a deal breaker.

Unless Amazon gets with it, they are going to go the way of IBM PC versus clones - completely driven out of the market by the equivalent of Dell / HP / clone China. Either you keep up with innovation or you die and the new Fire TV is backwards retrogression. What were they thinking removing the MicroSD & ethernet ???

I am unimpressed by UHD, HDR, or even 4K 30fps. We have trouble enough getting streams that actually can send 1080p without losing frames here in the hinterlands despite 50Mbs cable connection let alone trying to stream blueray rips. I have a BR player and discs if I really cared about that, which I do not. 1080p is more than good enough when i get a decent stream from Romania, India or Singapore, LOL.

Comment

Not really. Same Android 5.x custom OS version that updates & smashes your installs. Same lack of ports, storage, app stores. There really isn't any reason to spend 85/70 bux for a Fire TV compared to the $70 U2C (or equal s912 or even 905X) with standard Android 7.1, 4 usb ports, optical out, no ethernet in new, 2GB/16GB compared to 2/8 for either old or new. Regular 6.x or 7.1 Android OS is crappy enough without having to ration storage space for apps that won't completely load into the added storage anyway. A couple of large 3d graphics games plus kodi and that's all she wrote in 8Gb. Then you have to micromanage your apps to install new ones. We won't get into the advertising thing ... which I find annoying but not a deal breaker.

Unless Amazon gets with it, they are going to go the way of IBM PC versus clones - completely driven out of the market by the equivalent of Dell / HP / clone China. Either you keep up with innovation or you die and the new Fire TV is backwards retrogression. What were they thinking removing the MicroSD & ethernet ???

I am unimpressed by UHD, HDR, or even 4K 30fps. We have trouble enough getting streams that actually can send 1080p without losing frames here in the hinterlands despite 50Mbs cable connection let alone trying to stream blueray rips. I have a BR player and discs if I really cared about that, which I do not. 1080p is more than good enough when i get a decent stream from Romania, India or Singapore, LOL.
                            That is pretty shocking.
                            I've had a few S912 boxes ( Mecool BB2 Pro, R-TV S10 and H96 ). Still have the H96 for testing now. None benchmarked over 42K on Antutu. Fire TV goes over 70K.
                            I don't really have many apps on it outside of Kodi, Terrarium and 2 Kodi Forks. I watched Oceans 12 last night . Compared it to a 1080P Real-Debrid stream on Covenant and Terrarium.
                            The Prime Video blows them away in picture quality .
                            My family shares Netflix UHD. That you cannot play on these chinese boxes. Can't even play 720P in any of them afaik. I am getting a Vorke Z6 ( already ordered ) and that's going to be in the living room.
                            That only cost me $65. Fire TV boxes prices are going nuts right now. Can't find them as well. Best I can find is $118 for Fire TV Gaming edition . I believe they are the only boxes that actually appreciate in price. It's nuts.
                            The box does take micro SD card. So, storage is not much of a problem if I want download emulation games. Not planning in doing that soon.

I have no idea what the thinking is on the new FIre TV. No wonder the old one is going up in prices.

Comment

Well, I got a FireTV Stick when it first came out and much of my experience is based on that & the struggle to get Kodi sideloaded before it was as well integrated as it is now. Back then it was an innovative thing but it has always been a 2/8 box. It would regularly update and smash my Kodi build and that would get old. If you put several apks, games on it the UI would slow to annoying levels because it was filled up and that would not be any different on the FireTV 2/8. Yeah, the full box was better performing but I assume the same updates happened there as well since they had to do with UI adjustments & advertising placement implementation mostly. You also misunderstand the purpose/capability of the microSD card - apps do not actually run from it but some ancillary files are stored on it just because Android OS has to use certain root disk partitions to run certain things - hardcoded. Hard to say exactly what OS internals changed by updates because you were the mushroom - kept in the dark, & fed crap and had no control over the process, LOL.

As far as Android 7.1 boxes, my U2C S912 box has no problem getting 1080p streams but sometimes they drop frames because of the source stream speed rather than any hardware deficiency. My box has no trouble playing my local .mp4 rips of DVDs at >1080 HD. 720p streams consistently better & really are not all that much worse quality on my 50" LG TV and I don't know why you should have any problem because I never have - works just fine streaming from any source, YouTube included. My TV only does 1080p but my 29" Win desktop screen is 4K and runs fine but that is win. I don't use Netflix anymore, I just stream their shows from internet sources and skip the $10/month. If I wanted 4K & more reliable stream availability, I would spend a fraction of that on Real Debrid and stream away on all those excellent streams for $18/yr or whatever pittance they are going for now. Don't confuse digital rights restrictions with capability, which is what is involved in Prime & Netflix. I run the Prime Video app all the time and Prime shows look good when they are not overloaded but they are not any better than any other 1080p source - Amazon is just as vulnerable to clogged server hops as anyone else.

The RK3399 benches AnTUTU roughly double any S912 (for what that is worth - not much) but it is STILL a $125 TOY. Got bad news for you - FireTVs of any type are ALSO chinese box TOYS, lol.

The reality is that none of the Android boxes (even the shield) can compare integration, performance & quality to a WIN/APPLE desktop - Android boxes are cheap TOYS. So if all you want is quality & speed, spend a few hundred/thousand and get a REAL intel/amd HTPC with lots of ram, super display card, blue-ray player, multi Tb network file server, fiber-optical network connection, etc, not a toy. If I want Android apks on my Win box, I can run any of a dozen Android emulators and the apks will work well enough to satisfy that itch too. But there is not much to recommend Android OS, although it is getting better. It's still buggy, out of control, and quite limited in capability. It's fine for toys.

Comment

Working...
                              X