X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3229 JeOS, @superceleron vs @mo123 builds vs Alfawise A8

Hi all,

Am a newbie so excuse me for naivete...

I am generally only interested in 720p streaming. Of course I want a nice, stable iptv stream, less emphasis on video libraries.

I got a couple of RK3229 no brand boxes 1GB RAM, 8 GB flash, in place of what I thought were S905* boxes ordered, and will likely get more if I can get enough answers.

1. I read online about FTMC 16.1 and also that since RK3229 is open source now, no need to look back to FTMC?

Then here read about superceleron sticky 5.1 ROM for Mxq 4k and also mo123 Nougat ROM for NT8.
    I am assuming these builds might also work for generic RK3229 boxes.

How does this jibe with Kodi 17-18? What major add-ons are unsupported now on Kodi 16?

Will Rockchip tools do the job, or is a particular version of TWRP needed to flash these ROMs onto RK3229 boxes? This new 4PDA link doesn't seem working:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...rk3229-release

2. Which build is more appropriate now, i.e., what are the differences currently- are there specific features in "old" 5.1 build ?

Where does Android TV OS fit in?

Is there hardware acceleration for 720p or does hw accel only apply to higher res? What are the roles for GPU and VPU here?

How is mo123 Nougat build different than the Alfawise A8 box with PIP at Gearbest from the July 2018 postings?

3. How about any wifi patches SV6051 vs RTL8189 since both are popular?

4. Where do FTMC or RK3229 specific Kodi builds fit in now? Deprecated?

5. Important. Amlogic has many JeOSes even for generic boxes like LibreElec and now CoreElec.

How about for RK3229 now that it is open source? Or are we stuck with Android ROMs for these TV boxes?
    Last edited by Shippy; 09-07-2018, 04:52.

FTMC, SPMC is discontinued, so you won't get any support or be able to use 90% of new addons.
    Kodi 18 runs terrible on these cheap, genetic devices.

Basic 720p streaming might work ok.

You can't just put Nougat on generic devices, hardware is very different.

I don't know of any twrp that works reliably and how would you update the bootloader?

No AndroidTV available that I'm aware of, maybe only old Lollipop ones. Why would you want AndroidTV without any HD playback in apps?

No LibreELEC, only for RK3328 devices, so you are stuck with Android.

The seller must be smiling all the way to the bank.

Comment

QUOTE=Shippy;n743705]Hi all,

Am a newbie so excuse me for naivete...

I am generally only interested in 720p streaming. Of course I want a nice, stable iptv stream, less emphasis on video libraries.

I got a couple of RK3229 no brand boxes 1GB RAM, 8 GB flash, in place of what I thought were S905* boxes ordered, and will likely get more if I can get enough answers.

1. I read online about FTMC 16.1 and also that since RK3229 is open source now, no need to look back to FTMC?

Then here read about superceleron sticky 5.1 ROM for Mxq 4k and also mo123 Nougat ROM for NT8.
      I am assuming these builds might also work for generic RK3229 boxes.

How does this jibe with Kodi 17-18? What major add-ons are unsupported now on Kodi 16?

Will Rockchip tools do the job, or is a particular version of TWRP needed to flash these ROMs onto RK3229 boxes? This new 4PDA link doesn't seem working:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...rk3229-release

2. Which build is more appropriate now, i.e., what are the differences currently- are there specific features in "old" 5.1 build ?

Where does Android TV OS fit in?

Is there hardware acceleration for 720p or does hw accel only apply to higher res? What are the roles for GPU and VPU here?

How is mo123 Nougat build different than the Alfawise A8 box with PIP at Gearbest from the July 2018 postings?

3. How about any wifi patches SV6051 vs RTL8189 since both are popular?

4. Where do FTMC or RK3229 specific Kodi builds fit in now? Deprecated?

5. Important. Amlogic has many JeOSes even for generic boxes like LibreElec and now CoreElec.

How about for RK3229 now that it is open source? Or are we stuck with Android ROMs for these TV boxes?[/QUOTE]

Hi ,

i am not really a Pro in that but when you only want to stream in 720p a RK3229 Box will do the Job , but

only buy Rom supported Boxes , not all CustomRoms can be used on other Boxes with same CPU , most

Wifi & BT will not work , if difference exist .

if you want to flash a RK or AML Box , it will be done with PC & the needed Tools , of course it is possible

to flash with TWRP , but only with right Fileformat (.zip) , about Kodi add-ons , i be sure that the most of

them run well . LibreElec/...Elec are at the Moment in the beginning state on different RK CPUs , AML is

better supported with that .

At the Moment User Nayam Amarshe and his Team making good ATV Roms for S905x/w/S912 Boxes ,

more to find here too , hope i could help you with my answers , if you only want to use Kodi , the best is

to buy a AML Box and flash LibreELEC to it , but i do not know your needs ,

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
        FTMC, SPMC is discontinued, so you won't get any support or be able to use 90% of new addons.
        Kodi 18 runs terrible on these cheap, genetic devices.

Basic 720p streaming might work ok.

You can't just put Nougat on generic devices, hardware is very different.

I don't know of any twrp that works reliably and how would you update the bootloader?

No AndroidTV available that I'm aware of, maybe only old Lollipop ones. Why would you want AndroidTV without any HD playback in apps?

No LibreELEC, only for RK3328 devices, so you are stuck with Android.

The seller must be smiling all the way to the bank.

OK, thanks.

1. In what sense is Kodi 18 terrible on generics if it has been cleaned of legacy code (per Kodi team) and if I mostly want 720p streaming? Is this related to RK3229 or also Amlogic S905?

Is Kodi 17.6 better here? My issue is that Kodi 17.6 does not support live HLS YouTube streaming (checked with YouTube plugin guy @anxdpanic.)

Will a 5.1 ROM like superceleron work better than the Nougat one here on RK3229 generics? Other suggestions?

I just want an efficient running, stable box...don't even know why Nougat is better than MM better than 5.1 for an Android Box. Will likely use some MXQpro 4K clone but no guarantee of receiving the "right" HW specs from Ali or Gearbest (any others online?)

2. I noticed your AndroidTool burn after writing about TWRP- sorry.

3. Also, how could we use xupnpd.org installed on a home router instead of UPnP for *live* streaming from Kodi PVR Simple IPTV Client or addons like iVue2 TV Guide.

Appreciate your *detailed* changelogs and instructions !
        Last edited by Shippy; 09-07-2018, 08:29.

Comment

gefattern

Thank you too. Luckily your comments coincide with mo123 ones

For S905/ Kodi 18 I am following coreelec.org who just released v 8.95.1 with a package manager. I am hoping Kodi 18 here can work OK with S905 boxes given CE's generics focus !
          Last edited by Shippy; 09-07-2018, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Shippy View Post
            gefattern

Thank you too. Luckily your comments coincide with mo123 ones

For S905/ Kodi 18 I am following coreelec.org who just released v 8.95.1 with a package manager. I am hoping Kodi 18 here can work OK with S905 boxes given CE's generics focus !
            Hi ,

i hope you will find the right Box for your needs ,

good luck / gefattern

Comment

Working...
            X