Dolamee D5 RK3229 Modded Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolamee D5 RK3229 Modded Firmware

This is based on the September 7 firmware, which had some regressions from the original August build that was installed on my box.

It is a debloated version, removing anything that I consider to be illegal, dodgy, not child friendly or of no great use for a machine with these specs.

This includes a clean install of Kodi.

Root is in place.

Apps added:

Nova Launcher (So you have a choice of the stock or this, with a more pleasing to the eye background)
    Youtube (Regular Play Store version)
    Airdroid (Useful for file transfer over WiFi)
    All In One Toolbox (General crap cleaner and app bootup manager)
    App Backup & Restore
    BBC iPlayer
    Chrome Browser
    ES File Explorer
    MiXplorer file manager
    MX Player (and neon codecs)
    Petrus Reboot (for those that use other remotes to enable reboot and shutdown options)
    RKMC (Rockchips own Kodi version with hardware acceleration for RK SOC's)
    Terminal Emulator (May be of use later to to feed small updates over the air)

What is not working:

Adjust display refresh rate is not working but was not working in the original firmware and is next on my list to resolve.
    When playing videos, there may be a couple of seconds of audio corruption at the start,

Installation:

Android tools v 2.33 is included with the firmware download, so just do the usual erase flash and then flash the firmware.

Once flashing is complete and the box reboots (new boot logo), once the boot animation process is complete the process of app installation/population will continue in the background for about 10 minutes and there will be a Google settings popup that will appear asking if you want it to check for the presence of harmful apps. You can select either decline or accept. If you choose decline then the popup will appear every time one of the apps is installed in the background, so I recommend selecting accept and if, like me, it is a feature that you usually prefer to turn off, then you can do so later in settings.

Once installed you will be presented with the stock launcher. Note that the KodiCenter icon will do nothing as I have removed the addon install wizard feature.

Because this box only has 1Gb RAM, it will suffer from resource hogging, so I would recommend that you initially boost the system performance by preventing some apps and services from starting at boot and also keep clearing closed background tasks out as you use the machine.

This is where the All In One Toolbox app will be of use. Start it up and select the Boot Speedup option. Disable all User Apps from starting and then, in System Apps, I have also disabled Bluetooth share, eHomeMediaCenter, FileExplorer, Gallery, Wireless Update and Youtube. Be careful about what you do select in System Apps though as some are required to boot at startup. Then reboot the box to have a smoother experience. Note that when you install other apps and some are updated through the Play Store then they may autostart, so worth running the toolbox on a regular basis (and clearing out the crap regularly too).

Will it work on other RK3229 boxes?:

Quite possibly, although where there are different WiFi or Ethernet chipsets used then results may be variable.
    Post if you do (or do not) have success with other boxes (it will work with TVBox-R9)

As usual, it is always a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK exercise.

I hope that you enjoy.
    Last edited by bluesmanuk; 10-15-2016, 17:52.
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Dolamee_D5_bluesmanuk_15102016 V1

https://mega.nz/#!Wx4DDJSD!YxiVHIj4oaJDcZLntc46GMIsBLLiGogxXiRx3MK SakY

Dolamee_D5_bluesmanuk_19102016 V2

https://mega.nz/#!O5Ykwbaa!8v0JAzx0Ws2bz32O-GHLVDfIIi7OEcDnUkCQDU8Q6W0

V2 Changes:

Replaced RKMC with a Kodi fork that performs a little better.
    Updated update script to add future updates.
    Updated apps.
    Some background stuff.
    Last edited by bluesmanuk; 10-20-2016, 04:03.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
      What is not working:

When playing videos, there may be a couple of seconds of audio corruption at the start,
      Is this an issue on original firmware also?

Have you tried SPMC on it? Is HW acceleration working?

Comment

Originally posted by bobrooney View Post
        Is this an issue on original firmware also?

Have you tried SPMC on it? Is HW acceleration working?
        The original firmware that I had isn't available anymore and many of the boxes now come with a September update that has regressions,so the original was better.

So the first Mod is from the September update, which is good but not as good as the original.

Gearbest did find me a firmware from late August that I modded yesterday that is better and I think that I have managed to squeeze the best out of it for now, once appropriate optimisations have been applied, especially keeping boot startup processes and background tasks out of the way.

SPMC is not really geared towards Rockchip devices as it lacks any of the hardware acceleration and the developer stated a while back that they had dropped support for Rockchip.

The hardware acceleration in the Kodi fork being used is turned on by default and so far, have not come across a file that won't play with it on that wouldn't with it off, or using the official version and SPMC.

Hopefully the manufacturers will update it further and make it better.

If they can implement auto frame rate switching then I do think that it will make just that little bit of difference that is needed.

But for now I am happy with it and using the D5 on a daily basis, all powered from a USB 2.0 port alone for basic use, which is pretty remarkable.

If you are by any chance currently running D5-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY49F eng.melvin.20160820.083343 test-keys then I would be very interested in getting a dump of your firmware to play with.

Comment

I asking this because I am thinking to buy this box. So, unfortunately I don't have that firmware from august and I doubt that I will have when I buy it since I plan to buy it from GB.

Comment

Well for the price point that it is at, it's a pretty good box as long as you accept it's limitations and optimise it's resources.

Comment

Is it possible to replace the KodiCenter icon and link it to open somethinge else? I personally won't use the default launcher, but if the D5 is ever passed on to someone else, it'd be my preference not to have a dead artifact on the home screen. Perhaps can link it to a music app or YouTube for example.

Just a request, not sure how to do it myself. I suppose I could unpack the defaultlauncher with .apktools and modify something, but I'm not sure what to edit to accomplish this.

Comment

Awsome Blues V3 should be completed when mine come in
                Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

22 dollars and updated firmware??? Wow
                  Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by UknowEtheG View Post
                    Is it possible to replace the KodiCenter icon and link it to open somethinge else? I personally won't use the default launcher, but if the D5 is ever passed on to someone else, it'd be my preference not to have a dead artifact on the home screen. Perhaps can link it to a music app or YouTube for example.

Just a request, not sure how to do it myself. I suppose I could unpack the defaultlauncher with .apktools and modify something, but I'm not sure what to edit to accomplish this.
                    You can install the Kodicenter.apk that I have uploaded here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww2n8i3l24248c4/KodiCenter.apk?dl=0

I've not played with altering these kind of launchers yet to see if they can easily be modified but might have a go to see what is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                      Awsome Blues V3 should be completed when mine come in

V3 has just bricked the D5 lol

Only soft brick though, so back to the drawing board.

Comment

Oh no... I didn't mean I want the KodiCenter.... that thing is crap. Nobody needs that

I will see what I can find out about modifying the default launcher

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post

V3 has just bricked the D5 lol

Only soft brick though, so back to the drawing board.
                          Back to the swearing board??? 😂😂😂

Buy a V88 pro. Trying to mod it will have you swearing in faster pace.... L'OL

Comment

Originally posted by UknowEtheG View Post
                            Oh no... I didn't mean I want the KodiCenter.... that thing is crap. Nobody needs that

I will see what I can find out about modifying the default launcher
                            Saves having a dead option if you do pass it on though.

I've had a quick look at the launcher but it looks protected from what I can see so far.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post

Back to the swearing board??? 😂😂😂

Buy a V88 pro. Trying to mod it will have you swearing in faster pace.... L'OL
                              A little bit of that too.

I read all about the woes of the V88 Pro and glad that I missed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X