Debian on rk3229 is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rockeirodohs

the freeze after 30 is a well know bug , but it happens only with some specific distros, if you take the ones described in this post it runs quietly forever.

about not starting from sd, you have 2 options :

1) you must avoid the board starting from internal flash by pulling the clock pin of the nand to ground ( difficult to find the right pin thought )

2) you must avoid the board starting from internal flash by ERASING the boot sector in nand itself ( easier but you need a LINUX computer and rkdevelop tools compiled on it )

Both processes are absolutely REVERSIBLE : )

Comment

The box doesn't start when I put the SD, only shows red light...
      Wbt this pin of nand? Where is it?

Comment

I'm using a R329Q V3.0, the system always shutdown after 30s
        what can I do?

Comment

rockeirodohs

​​​​​​​which image are you using ?

and for what do you want to use LINUX? I can say that if you still need videos and medias remain on android, if you need more servers applications is better linux

by the way R329Q V3.0 for me is only working with this method , with precompiled images is not working

Comment

I dont know how to start this...
            I wanted to use linux on it, just for some youtube and some OS features, and give it a new life too
            but it's so hard hahahahaha

sorry for bad english...

Comment

Ok so you still want videos features and NOT servers applications and so on .

What I can suggest is remain on Android for those purposes, because the things to do to run Linux on those are some complex.
              NOT IMPOSSIBLE, just complex. I have running but for asterisk sip VoIP server so I don't need video

Until some code writer won't discover how to use internal nand and an easy way to flash the nand itself better stay on android

Comment

Originally posted by rockeirodohs View Post
                I dont know how to start this...
                I wanted to use linux on it, just for some youtube and some OS features, and give it a new life too
                but it's so hard hahahahaha

sorry for bad english...
                hardware acceleration does not work. you can view youtube but lag.

Comment

@neomode
                  Hello, I didn't abandoned my project, just I am following different approaches.
                  I am at a good point but need help . this is my statement:

" Why compile new dtb, kernel and stuffs when WE have all those ? Yes indeed android kernel is network paranoid, but with right tuning we can go around this. "

And infact I used uboot, trust, misc, kernel and resources from original firmware, what i did was changing the BOOT and SYSTEM with one of my interest.

Boot is the very first INIT that android kernel encounters so I rewrote an INIT to search from a different rootfs with a different /sbin/init second stage.

et VOILA' , kernel and rootfs ( debian, archlinux, fedora all of course for arm ) are booting, did change some permission for opening socks on network.

All is working...

BUT..... BUT...BUT...

after EXACTLY 29 minutes and 59 seconds the board became unresponsive.

I am sure it depends from some chron, watchdog, wavelock, thernal.... devil, woodo, ghosts that android kernel starts and android rootfs executes but debian root doesn't manage and I am pretty sure this can be solved but..

WHAT is the responsible of boad shutting down?

I haven't sufficient skills to search for this

Anyone?

EDIT : could be something related to http://rockchip.wikidot.com/power-manage

Comment

fabiobassa why not try rockchip kernel ? https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel, if you want pre-compiled binary i can share too.. i tryed all methods, but didnt past TPL Init yet.

Comment

@willerson
                      Thank you for your appreciated answer

that kernel is 4.4 ! I compiled it , it runs smoothly but NO DRIVERS for internal nand memory ( i mean storage and not DDR ! DDR are properly recognized) . It runs ONLY from sd. If you have read previous posts, have been many attemps to boot from sd card and all is working from sd card , even with kernel 5.2.

But unfortunately the internal nand storage is NOT recognized because of LACK of propers drivers and nobody is yet going to adapt/write proper kernel driver ( the name of driver/blob is RKNAND )

That means on new devices with 16 giga internal storage such a waste of storage and speed ( the best sd card will be nothing compared to internal flash nand ).

I also compiled the old kernel 3.10.104 and in that case internal nand is recognized and debian running from internal storage just changing init and setting the proper device for rootfs , but after 30 minutes board hangs. Sure it depends from a watchdog, sleeping mode, freeze mode, power suspend/resume mode or may be a strange behaviour inherited from u-boot , but I don't know where point my searches

This is now the obstacle I am not able to pass for having a full running headless server running on 3229.
                      I repeat, from sd card all is working properly but I would like to see internal nand

Comment

fabiobassa, if kernel 3.10 works, it means that 3.10 have the proper driver? right? if so, we can try to port the driver to newer kernels, and board freezes probably is because uboot, im sure of that, maybe you can try using binary and u-boot source from respeaker , https://github.com/respeaker/rkbin && https://github.com/respeaker/rk-linux-develop, their parameter file seems good, because it is for linux and not android... https://github.com/respeaker/rkbin/b...3229_parameter

Comment

willerson

Because of two reasons we can't:
                          1) respeaker kernel is based on 4.4 ( again no drivers for rknand) and....

2) u-boot from respeaker doesn't even recognize internal nand of 3229.
                          so it is a chicken--egg problem

We should focus on 3.x.x kernel that is one surely working , maybe we could take uboot from raxda project

But how can you say that freezing after 29 minutes and 59 seconds came from u-boot?

It seems more a relate power suspend problem

Do you want to join this study/investigation ?
                          We can discuss privately and/or public and publish results

Comment

Are there any news how Rk3229 like Scishon V88 performs with the debian image and how the nand could be accessable? Since Kernel 4.x I think there is official support for Rk3229

Comment

suppenkasper

yes, definetly some good news !

willerson is actively studying and developing proper drivers to work on nand and me actively testing on a variety of board, and willerson ( thanks man !!) is going to publish a github.

But before let us test every thing is in proper place and working !!!

Comment

Tried this ReSpeaker Linux IMG on my old schision V88 tv box and it boots and runs, Ethernet only mind.

Great to see some efforts made around the 3229, would love to see LibreELEC run one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X