Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I built a kernel image what do I do with it???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a kernel image what do I do with it???????

Ok i have a few questions about building a custom rom/kernel for my v88 rockchip rk3229 android tv box. I want to be able to use a external usb wifi adapter, and everything that i have read states that in need a custom kernel with the wifi drivers installed into it.

OK here is what Ive done so far:

I downloaded and installed ubuntu 16.04 lts on a seperate partition on my compouter.

then i went here http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wik...de#Environment to find out all the dependencies for the build enviroment (fyi you have to add repo ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test and make sure canico partners is selected as well). That takes forever to load

then i went here http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Rockchip_Kernel for instructions on how to download the source and build the kernel. it says it supports the rk3229 SoC

i downloaded the source with git clone https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel.git in terminal and changed into the kernel directory.

i used the "For ARM v7" instructions with a slight variation as shown here

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- rockchip_linux_defconfig

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- menuconfig

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4

the 2nd command is used to add the wifi drivers

After i ran the 3rd command (and waited an hour) i got several rk3229 dtb files. i chose the rk3229-evb.dtb file. (i also compiled it again using the rk3229-evb-android.dtb )

Now the "make rk3229-evb.img" command didn't exactly work at 1st but with a little tweaking I got it to build.

So now i have a zboot.img , resource.img, boot.img, and a kernel.img. I also have a vmlinux, a vmlinux.o, and a system.map file

Sooo my 1st question is wtf do i do with these....

I was thinking about using the rk tools to disect the firmware i downloaded then swap out some or all of the files and rebuild it and try to load it as a update.img

another idea i had was to use the TWRP recovery.img i found for the box and load the image files i built with it.....any thoughts

also i was wondering since the kernel version is 4.4 if i use the rk tool option do i need to use a certain firmware to make sure they will work. i thought i read that Android nougat uses kernel version 4.4 so would i need to use a Nougat firmware.

and what about the other files...what are they for

I realize that a lot of these are noob questions but cut me some slack. Up until 6mths ago i didn't know anything about compiling a kernel, the android file system, using TWRP, or even using linux that much.

Since, I'm not sure if any thing I"m doing is right, any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey man,

Sorry to say but I believe you compiled the linux version of the kernel.

You need to get your hands on an Android defconfig for the device you are compiling for and compile it with a Toolchain that is built for android for example googles prebuilt toolchains.

Comment

Hi ,

if this build kernel.img really works you can try to flash it with AndroidTool 2.38 or above &

RKDRrivers of course installed on PC , good luck / gefattern

Comment

Working...
      X