Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H96 Max H2 Possibly Bricked

Hi

I’m hoping someone on this forum may be able to help bring my two H2’s back to life as I seem to have broken them somehow.

Long story short I wanted to change the heatsinks and the thermal adhesive to bring the temps down a bit, so I took them both apart removed the heatsinks and cleaned everything up. I went ahead and used artic silver 5 adhesive and some new heatsinks on both gpu and processor.

I waited for them to dry before testing them out and here’s where the problems started.

The first box turned on fine but froze during the google logo after a few attempts at getting it to boot it started showing multi coloured lines on the screen. The other box just displayed the H96 Max logo and wouldn’t go any further.
    After trying a few times and taking the heatsinks back off neither one will display anything through HDMI now they seem to power on and I get a solid blue light but nothing on the display. I can feel the chips getting hot so I’m assuming its running.

Any idea how I can diagnose what’s wrong with them?

I tried plugging them into my computer, but they aren’t even showing up in device manager they just light up with a solid blue light.

you probably shorted some pins with the new heatsink in that case you damaged the hardware (multi coloured lines)

first thing, try a different power supply maybe its broken, if that doesnt help you can try to use different usb cable (use usb 2.0 port) to get them detected, use a toothpick ect.
    If that does not work, you may need to short pins on the EMMC chip to get the device into MASKROM mode, if the hardware is not damaged you can get those back to life.

You cannot hard brick Rockchips. Check if your drivers on pc are installed correctly.

if you have questions quote me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
      you probably shorted some pins with the new heatsink in that case you damaged the hardware (multi coloured lines)

first thing, try a different power supply maybe its broken, if that doesnt help you can try to use different usb cable (use usb 2.0 port) to get them detected, use a toothpick ect.
      If that does not work, you may need to short pins on the EMMC chip to get the device into MASKROM mode, if the hardware is not damaged you can get those back to life.

You cannot hard brick Rockchips. Check if your drivers on pc are installed correctly.

if you have questions quote me here.
      Thanks for your help Ive been trying to bring it back to life but haven?t had much success.

I checked the board a few times and cleaned it again to try and rule out a short but still haven?t been able to get it to boot.

Holding the reset button while plugging into the pc doesn?t seem to do anything just same solid blue light and the chips getting warm. I also tried shorting the pins on the nand but all this seems to do is make the blue light go out.

I did get it to work once while I was shorting different pins out randomly and it displayed the h96 logo on the tv but nothing else. I also had it connect to the pc briefly windows made the connect sound but said device not recognised then nothing again after unplugging.

I tried swapping the power supplies around but no difference I also tried a different power supply with the same output and this seems to have killed one completely it now shows no light and the other now shows a faded blinking light even with the original charger connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Burston View Post

Thanks for your help Ive been trying to bring it back to life but haven?t had much success.

I checked the board a few times and cleaned it again to try and rule out a short but still haven?t been able to get it to boot.

Holding the reset button while plugging into the pc doesn?t seem to do anything just same solid blue light and the chips getting warm. I also tried shorting the pins on the nand but all this seems to do is make the blue light go out.

I did get it to work once while I was shorting different pins out randomly and it displayed the h96 logo on the tv but nothing else. I also had it connect to the pc briefly windows made the connect sound but said device not recognised then nothing again after unplugging.

I tried swapping the power supplies around but no difference I also tried a different power supply with the same output and this seems to have killed one completely it now shows no light and the other now shows a faded blinking light even with the original charger connected.
        Well, then throw them in the trash, hardware damaged probably, you should get a better box i recommend the mx9 pro tv box best box i had no stutter or freezes after stresstest.

It does come with android 8.1 and has rkmc support, best and working hardware configuration i have seen, its not the fastest box but it does the job without problems.

Other box i can recommend is the A5X max rk3328 its the same hardware just different layout.

hope that helps, you can pm me if you still have questions.

Comment

Thanks i'll have a look at those boxes.

Do those boxes support auto frame switching?

I made the mistake of picking up a 4k firestick the other day and its rubbish it cant even play videos in sync with kodi.

Comment

• mo123
            mo123 commented
            Editing a comment
            None of them support auto frame-rate switching.

Originally posted by Andrew Burston View Post
          Thanks i'll have a look at those boxes.

Do those boxes support auto frame switching?

I made the mistake of picking up a 4k firestick the other day and its rubbish it cant even play videos in sync with kodi.
          The MX9 Pro does support that if you use RKMC to watch movies.

Systemwide refresh rate switching is not available.

Comment

Working...
          X