H96 Max RK3399 not recognized by PC for flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H96 Max RK3399 not recognized by PC for flashing

Hoping someone here can offer some guidance. I bought this box from Geekbuying and played around with it for a bit. I'm really wanting to flash some updated firmware for the box, however I can't get it to be recognized by a PC. I've installed the driver tools and have tried this a number of different PCs. I've even tried with different USB 3.0 cords. And yes, I'm plugging into the blue USB 3.0 port. When I plug in the USB cable into the box, Windows acts like nothing has been plugged in, not even an unknown device. The blue light shows up on the box too. Pressing the reset button in the aux jack doesn't change anything either. The box works fine otherwise, I just want to update the firmware. I've reached out to Geekbuying and they said I can either send it back for them to repair or they'll give me $30 to have it repaired myself. I'd rather not go through the trouble of shipping it back to China and waiting... any recommendations on what I can try here? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by familyman View Post
    Hoping someone here can offer some guidance. I bought this box from Geekbuying and played around with it for a bit. I'm really wanting to flash some updated firmware for the box, however I can't get it to be recognized by a PC. I've installed the driver tools and have tried this a number of different PCs. I've even tried with different USB 3.0 cords. And yes, I'm plugging into the blue USB 3.0 port. When I plug in the USB cable into the box, Windows acts like nothing has been plugged in, not even an unknown device. The blue light shows up on the box too. Pressing the reset button in the aux jack doesn't change anything either. The box works fine otherwise, I just want to update the firmware. I've reached out to Geekbuying and they said I can either send it back for them to repair or they'll give me $30 to have it repaired myself. I'd rather not go through the trouble of shipping it back to China and waiting... any recommendations on what I can try here? Thanks in advance!
    Hi ,

strange , did you used Power too ??? , press Reset , plug USB , plug Power , wait for Sound and connecting

in Tool and leave the Reset Button , that is all , flash , good luck / gefattern

Comment

Wow... I must have totally missed needed to use the power, what a noob mistake. Other boxes usually just the USB will power it. Thank you very much. Followed your steps and flashed the new firmware successfully. This site has been a great resource as I have a handful of these boxes around the house. Much appreciated!

Comment

Wow... I must have totally missed needed to use the power, what a noob mistake. Other boxes usually just the USB will power it. Thank you very much. Followed your steps and flashed the new firmware successfully. This site has been a great resource as I have a handful of these boxes around the house. Much appreciated!
        No you do not need the power adapter... I have flashed my h96 max rk3399 player at least 20 times and it never needed to use the power adapter ...it is not needed ...only USB cable

Not just me watch the you-tube videos no one uses the power adapter...

Michael T.
        3.0.x Lollipop firmware RK3288 By Wasser/ My Standard Remote IR
        CVSB-K200-Wireless Mini QWERTY Keyboard / Motion Mouse for Android RF
        Rii Mini i25 Qwerty Keyboard/Motion Mouse For Android RF
        Media Flow Suite ... 24 TB ReadyNas Pro wired 1 GB Ethernet

Comment

Hi ,

now you know it , hope this Rom is better and good for your needs , what Rom did you

flash ??? , you know that there is a CustomRom for your Box , made by Superceleron ,

great Dev. and Member on FT , if you need any help ask , but as possible try to stay in

this Thread , greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by michael2t View Post

No you do not need the power adapter... I have flashed my h96 max rk3399 player at least 20 times and it never needed to use the power adapter ...it is not needed ...only USB cable

Not just me watch the you-tube videos no one uses the power adapter...

Michael T.
            Ok, my mistake. It wasn't the power, it was pressing the reset button prior to plugging in the USB. In the documentation I had read, it was plug in USB then press reset. Thanks for clarifying and providing the additional information.

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

now you know it , hope this Rom is better and good for your needs , what Rom did you

flash ??? , you know that there is a CustomRom for your Box , made by Superceleron ,

great Dev. and Member on FT , if you need any help ask , but as possible try to stay in

this Thread , greetings / gefattern
              So the ROM I flashed was the latest from Geekbuying, dated 20180713. Prime video worked which is one of the reasons I wanted to update. I had issues with a lot of launchers though. I just tried flashing the Superceleron ROM and I have no wifi. That's a dealbreaker out of the gate. However now, I'm getting errors when trying to flash back to the firmware from geekbuying... Need to dig into that now...

Comment

So the ROM I flashed was the latest from Geekbuying, dated 20180713. Prime video worked which is one of the reasons I wanted to update. I had issues with a lot of launchers though. I just tried flashing the Superceleron ROM and I have no wifi. That's a dealbreaker out of the gate. However now, I'm getting errors when trying to flash back to the firmware from geekbuying... Need to dig into that now...
                Hi ,

think your Box uses another Wifichip , what kind of Errors ??? , "download boot fail" , sounds not nice ,

think you must use the SDCard Update Method to fix this , hope you get it back to life ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Hi ,

think your Box uses another Wifichip , what kind of Errors ??? , "download boot fail" , sounds not nice ,

think you must use the SDCard Update Method to fix this , hope you get it back to life ,

greetings / gefattern
                  So I was getting an error on the startup test. Not sure how or why this worked, but when I did a restore using a version of rkbatchtool, that got me basically to a boot loop of sorts. Then I was able to reflash the geekbuying rom using Factory Tool 1.6. Maybe that will help someone else with a similar issue.

I'm going to stick with the geekbuying rom for now, wifi works, prime video works, just trying to figure out the best launcher that actually works. Ugoos and a lot of others just crash when opened. Thanks for your help!

Comment

So I was getting an error on the startup test. Not sure how or why this worked, but when I did a restore using a version of rkbatchtool, that got me basically to a boot loop of sorts. Then I was able to reflash the geekbuying rom using Factory Tool 1.6. Maybe that will help someone else with a similar issue.

I'm going to stick with the geekbuying rom for now, wifi works, prime video works, just trying to figure out the best launcher that actually works. Ugoos and a lot of others just crash when opened. Thanks for your help!
                    Hi ,

please read in the other H96Max Threads there you can find Hints what Launchers work ,

this happend to others too , in Future please always ask before you want to test a Rom ,

further good luck / gefattern

Comment

Hi, first time posting here and looking for some help. I downloaded the latest firmware (180713) and installed it on my H96 Max RK3399. Used the Rockchip Batch Tool v 1.8.
                      Plugged in the box to my TV and all I get is the H96 Max logo, been like that for 30 mins now. Is this normal, if so, how long should I wait for it to do something?

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Originally posted by user202101 View Post
                        Hi, first time posting here and looking for some help. I downloaded the latest firmware (180713) and installed it on my H96 Max RK3399. Used the Rockchip Batch Tool v 1.8.
                        Plugged in the box to my TV and all I get is the H96 Max logo, been like that for 30 mins now. Is this normal, if so, how long should I wait for it to do something?

Thanks for any help!
                        Why use RK Batch tool made in 2015 to flash RK3288 devices that doesn't support Nougat to flash RK3399 devices?
                        It will cause all sorts of problems.
                        Use Factory tool v1.6 or AndroidTool v2.52 or later to flash.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

Why use RK Batch tool made in 2015 to flash RK3288 devices that doesn't support Nougat to flash RK3399 devices?
                          It will cause all sorts of problems.
                          Use Factory tool v1.6 or AndroidTool v2.52 or later to flash.
                          Hi Mo123 & all others ,

about AndroidTool , i had Version 2.39 /2.42/2.43 , but in Version 42 & 43 the Log gave out that

it is only Version 2.39 , i really want the latest Version , can u please upload it here , about Drivers

4.6 are the latest , or ??? , hope he can get his Box to life ,

greetings / gefatttern

Comment

Hi Mo123 & all others ,

about AndroidTool , i had Version 2.39 /2.42/2.43 , but in Version 42 & 43 the Log gave out that

it is only Version 2.39 , i really want the latest Version , can u please upload it here , about Drivers

4.6 are the latest , or ??? , hope he can get his Box to life ,

greetings / gefatttern
                            AndroidTool v2.61 Here
                            Factorytool v1.63 Here
                            Driver still v4.6

There are so many different tools and versions and some might brick certain devices if not flashed correctly, it is becoming very complicated.

Also found a SDCard Repair manual to transplant firmware from an SDCard to storage, need to try to translate from Chinese, but maybe it can only work for RK3399, not RK3288 I think or not for devices that are very damaged. Would be useful if can't be flashed from a PC and you want to restore stock firmware easily, maybe for users who installed SuperSU.

Comment

Thanks! I have Driver Assitant v4.5, can't find v4.6. Hoping the Android tool and factorytool will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X