No announcement yet.

Radxa RockPi 4 RK3399 - Custom Android Pie firmware by mo123

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope u still work on the full android firmware mo123 , rly like your work for rock-chips, would love to beta test the rom,

i still have my X99 box lying around with rk3399 i was able to root it but its overall full of bugs and no autoframerate switching in RKMC/FTMC otherwise great power with rk3399 cant compete rk3328 cpu. Are you able to include OC settings in the kernel that i mentioned above?

greets

Comment

So, this is going to be a long post...
      1st want to start this post with a BIG THANK YOU to mo123 for this ROM. It is absolutely amazing and feels like a production ROM, at least 100% better then what any Chinese Manufacturer is releasing in their TV boxes. If I were to give this ROM a rating it would be 90% on the way to being exceptionally Great. My quibbles an quirks found in the Rom are all relatively small.

My setup is 4gb Ram Rock Pi 4 B with 32gb emmc storage in an aluminum case with passive cooling large heatsink.
      • ROM Benchmark testing :
      Did achieve 112K high score benchmark on very first test when device was cold and before adding my full suite of apps, but after several other tests device now always averages 109K score with Antutu version 8.3 :
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rockpi4.antutu.8.3.png Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	801081

Geekbench4 :
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rockpi4.geekbench4.png Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	801080

Storage and Ram test with A1 SD Bench :
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rockpi4.a1sdbench.png Views:	0 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	801082
      3DMark :
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rockpi4.3dmark1.png Views:	0 Size:	314.1 KB ID:	801084
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rockpi4.3dmark2.png Views:	0 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	801083

First Impressions and Notes :

- 1st Forum Post "Changelog" says v1.4 - when in fact the version I downloaded and installed is v1.6 according to About section of settings.
      - Magisk works great and installed correctly the latest Update.
      - TWRP seems to be an Older version and could use a version update. Currently it would not detect the System partition or allow it to be mounted correctly to flash zips. Tried to install my (apk+data) backup from Migrate and failed.
      - Busybox is older version. Yes, Magisk has the most current version 1.31.1 install-able as a Module, but it would be nice if that was included and installed in the ROM system build.
      - Bonus a lot of apps I have never heard of, some from APKpure so they can be updated in that app, but of course the best addition to the ROM is Dashboard which is absolutely phenomenal.
      - HeadsUpNotifications app, definitely needs the user to go through the settings to set it up correctly.
      - Device uses a Xiaomi Fingerprint in build.prop -- does this help with device registering itself with Google on first boot? I have noticed Superceleron doing the same thing in his ROMs.
      - Does 'WifiDisplay' app work for you? Noticed that it is the very old version that hasn't been updated by Rockchip in years. Couldn't get it to work with different devices, so just uninstalled it from the Rom.
      - Lightning Browser has an available update to 5.1.0 but the current version 4.4.2.93 must have a different Signature blocking it from being updated. Would it be possible to use Bromite as the installed system browser instead? Check https://bromite.org
      - Did not understand what purpose the "Settings > Tuner Settings > Home Screen > Default setting" had, it is not possible to permanently change launchers inside ATV ROM.
      - My display registers as 4096x2160p in apps like Aida64, but when you check default settings the device always reverts to 1920x1080p30hz or to a viewport of the same default 1920x1080p30hz even after changing the setting and/or rebooting.
      - ROM uses the <interactive> CPU Governor, I prefer to use the <ondemand> CPU governor, if I was using a forced-air cooling and didn't mind the extra wattage used then of course <performance> governor would be best.

Bugs :

- Bug where you exit the current App when you Allow/Deny Permission Dialog prompt. Known bug with Android 9, but it is still SO annoying.
      - Bug/Crash in <More Settings> when selecting <Accessibility> and <Display> -- both will not open and send you back to TVsettings.
      - Performance Dialog ~ Ram showing "-264mb Total" and not showing Usage or Quantity. Kodi 19 also had problem identifying Ram quantity.
      - Search in 'More Settings' doesn't work, fix is to include AOSP '/system/app/SettingsIntelligence/SettingsIntelligence.apk' in ROM build.
      - Secure Setting display_density_forced is set at 240. Switching this by terminal to the correct ATV standard of 320 gets reset to 240 after Reboots or Shutdown.
      - Bug where "Developer Option > Smallest Width" always reverts to 540p, for my 4k TV it looks best at a setting of 720p

Suggestions an Speculations :

- Add AOSP-Clock aka DeskClock.apk or GoogleClock as '/system/app/' so that have option to use clock as a Screensaver.
      - Can delete system apks BasicDaydreams and PhotoTable from '/system/app/' -- both are not needed.
      - Kodi is 19.0-Alpha, I would prefer the current stable release of 18.6 be included in the ROM, leave 19.0 for the LibreELEC Nightly+Development users until it is stable release for Android.
      - Delete the old Rockchip FileExplorer <com.android.rockchip> -- and install an ATV-type file manager like "FileExplorer" by Anker or ever just add "Files" by Google in its place.
      - Can Vulkan be activated in the ROM? The ARM-Mali site says the GPU supports Vulkan API
      - I suspect that if the ROM had the AOSP Gallery.apk installed in '/system/app/' that it would be possible to have a wallpaper installed and visible in Overview/Recents window. I believe it is a required system app to mount a wallpaper. But of course, the wallpaper won't be visible on the home screen because of ATV restrictions.
      • Settings {system,secure,global} that should be set by Default, maybe they already where set, but I went ahead and inserted them thought terminal, here is edit:
      Code:
      settings put system enable_pass_through 1
      settings put system font_scale 1.25
      settings put system haptic_feedback_enabled 0
      settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
      settings put global development_settings_enabled 1
      Cheers!!!
      Last edited by RiCkLaR_atvX; 04-01-2020, 22:09. Reason: a bunch of typos

Comment

• gefattern
        gefattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi , what does this mean :

Settings {system,secure,global} that should be set by Default, maybe they already where set, but I went ahead and inserted them thought terminal ,

is this important ??? etter for Security ??? , thanks / gefattern

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
      So, this is going to be a long post...

First Impressions and Notes :

- 1st Forum Post "Changelog" says v1.4 - when in fact the version I downloaded and installed is v1.6 according to About section of settings.
      - Magisk works great and installed correctly the latest Update.
      - TWRP seems to be an Older version and could use a version update. Currently it would not detect the System partition or allow it to be mounted correctly to flash zips. Tried to install my (apk+data) backup from Migrate and failed.
      - Busybox is older version. Yes, Magisk has the most current version 1.31.1 install-able as a Module, but it would be nice if that was included and installed in the ROM system build.
      - Bonus a lot of apps I have never heard of, some from APKpure so they can be updated in that app, but of course the best addition to the ROM is Dashboard which is absolutely phenomenal.
      - HeadsUpNotifications app, definitely needs the user to go through the settings to set it up correctly.
      - Device uses a Xiaomi Fingerprint in build.prop -- does this help with device registering itself with Google on first boot? I have noticed Superceleron doing the same thing in his ROMs.
      - Does 'WifiDisplay' app work for you? Noticed that it is the very old version that hasn't been updated by Rockchip in years. Couldn't get it to work with different devices, so just uninstalled it from the Rom.
      - Lightning Browser has an available update to 5.1.0 but the current version 4.4.2.93 must have a different Signature blocking it from being updated. Would it be possible to use Bromite as the installed system browser instead? Check https://bromite.org
      - Did not understand what purpose the "Settings > Tuner Settings > Home Screen > Default setting" had, it is not possible to permanently change launchers inside ATV ROM.
      - My display registers as 4096x2160p in apps like Aida64, but when you check default settings the device always reverts to 1920x1080p30hz or to a viewport of the same default 1920x1080p30hz even after changing the setting and/or rebooting.
      - ROM uses the <interactive> CPU Governor, I prefer to use the <ondemand> CPU governor, if I was using a forced-air cooling and didn't mind the extra wattage used then of course <performance> governor would be best.

Bugs :

- Bug where you exit the current App when you Allow/Deny Permission Dialog prompt. Known bug with Android 9, but it is still SO annoying.
      - Bug/Crash in <More Settings> when selecting <Accessibility> and <Display> -- both will not open and send you back to TVsettings.
      - Performance Dialog ~ Ram showing "-264mb Total" and not showing Usage or Quantity. Kodi 19 also had problem identifying Ram quantity.
      - Search in 'More Settings' doesn't work, fix is to include AOSP '/system/app/SettingsIntelligence/SettingsIntelligence.apk' in ROM build.
      - Secure Setting display_density_forced is set at 240. Switching this by terminal to the correct ATV standard of 320 gets reset to 240 after Reboots or Shutdown.
      - Bug where "Developer Option > Smallest Width" always reverts to 540p, for my 4k TV it looks best at a setting of 720p

Suggestions an Speculations :

- Add AOSP-Clock aka DeskClock.apk or GoogleClock as '/system/app/' so that have option to use clock as a Screensaver.
      - Can delete system apks BasicDaydreams and PhotoTable from '/system/app/' -- both are not needed.
      - Kodi is 19.0-Alpha, I would prefer the current stable release of 18.6 be included in the ROM, leave 19.0 for the LibreELEC Nightly+Development users until it is stable release for Android.
      - Delete the old Rockchip FileExplorer <com.android.rockchip> -- and install an ATV-type file manager like "FileExplorer" by Anker or ever just add "Files" by Google in its place.
      - Can Vulkan be activated in the ROM? The ARM-Mali site says the GPU supports Vulkan API
      - I suspect that if the ROM had the AOSP Gallery.apk installed in '/system/app/' that it would be possible to have a wallpaper installed and visible in Overview/Recents window. I believe it is a required system app to mount a wallpaper. But of course, the wallpaper won't be visible on the home screen because of ATV restrictions.
      • Settings {system,secure,global} that should be set by Default, maybe they already where set, but I went ahead and inserted them thought terminal, here is edit:
      Code:
      settings put system enable_pass_through 1
      settings put system font_scale 1.25
      settings put system haptic_feedback_enabled 0
      settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
      settings put global development_settings_enabled 1
      Cheers!!!

Thanks for the detailed review.

The latest firmware is actually v1.5, I updated the OP now.
      I'm working on v1.6 now, the version number might have been a mishap since I did v1.6 for the Khadas Edge RK3399 also at a similar time.
      Magisk updated, so I will include the new Manager.
      In v1.5 there were lots of changes to TWRP, so I think it will mount all the partitions correctly now.
      I will just have to figure out how to include the new busybox, not sure from where the old one comes from.
      The Xiaomi fingerprint is supposed to offer better app compatibility, but I haven't noticed differences with it on, you still need to use Magisk.
      Google apps can work correctly with it excluded.
      WifiDisplay works, you also need to enable Wireless Display in your phone's display settings, there is also a CastReceiver app that does the same some users include in roms but I think it's a modded app since the one on the Play Store is time limited.
      Bromite can work, the only problem is preinstalled apps take twice their storage space, including their extracted files since Android Pie on Rockchip devices, so 200MB extra.
      The framebuffer is 1080p so that is correct. If you set the resolution to 4K then it will be upscaled from 1080p but video playback that uses a different layer will still be done in 4K.
      The Nvidia Shield is currently the only Android device that can display both the UI and video playback in 4K.
      Interactive performs better than on-demand for scaling from low to high cpu usage but I can make an on-demand boot.img later.

Bug where you exit the current App when you Allow/Deny Permission Dialog prompt. Known bug with Android 9, but it is still SO annoying
      - Fixed now in v1.5
      Will check the other issues, the ram usage worked correctly in the past I think.
      Thanks for the tip about SettingsIntelligence. I didn't know it had any use.
      Will check the display densities, it was changed to 320p but something might still trigger or change it.

Will test a few file managers, most have adware or limited free features but a simpler app optimised for tv can do.
      Vulkan is supposed to already be working.

For the display problem
      Can you go through all the Display resolutions and apply them in TvSettings?
      Make sure each resolution you apply stays checked and the selected item doesn't jump to a previous resolution.
      If so, there might be a timing difference with the tv's edid info compared to the values I added based on my tv.
      You can then delete the /system/usr/resolution_whilte.xml file(root access needed) and it will use timings based on your tv but there will be lots of extra resolutions like interlaced ones and PC monitor ones that are useless for a tv. or you can continue using the file but remove all the 4096x2160p entries in the file so Android will only use 3840x2160p resolutions that is supported up to 60hz, 4096x2160p is only supported up to 30hz. You can also use a startup script to force Android to start in any resolution and frame-rate, I'll check if I can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
        The latest firmware is actually v1.5, I updated the OP now.
        I'm working on v1.6 now, the version number might have been a mishap since I did v1.6 for the Khadas Edge RK3399 also at a similar time.
        Ok, download version 1.5 and hope to give it a try this week.

The framebuffer is 1080p so that is correct. If you set the resolution to 4K then it will be upscaled from 1080p but video playback that uses a different layer will still be done in 4K.
        The Nvidia Shield is currently the only Android device that can display both the UI and video playback in 4K.
        Ok, but if the framebuffer can be set at 60hz and not 30hz then that would be optimal. Using apks like DevCheck and DeviceInfoHW both show the default of 30hz which they are getting info from reading the devices framebuffer I am guessing.

Thanks for the tip about SettingsIntelligence. I didn't know it had any use.
        I should have typed '/system/priv-app/' as the location Not '/system/app/' in the post above, but I am sure you knew that.

Vulkan is supposed to already be working.
        Vulkan may be activated in the kernel stack but not in android, my first test was to check DevCheck app and it said NO for Vulkan supported device. So sorry if you looked at my Pictures of the 3dMark benchmark and it shows Vulkan was tested accurately, those screenshots were taken after I hacked in the missing Permission files to activate Vulkan in android. Please test as well, I believe that the game Asphalt 9 can only be download from Google Play Store if the device has Vulkan activated in Android.

For the display problem
        Can you go through all the Display resolutions and apply them in TvSettings?
        Make sure each resolution you apply stays checked and the selected item doesn't jump to a previous resolution.
        If so, there might be a timing difference with the tv's edid info compared to the values I added based on my tv.
        You can then delete the /system/usr/resolution_whilte.xml file(root access needed) and it will use timings based on your tv but there will be lots of extra resolutions like interlaced ones and PC monitor ones that are useless for a tv. or you can continue using the file but remove all the 4096x2160p entries in the file so Android will only use 3840x2160p resolutions that is supported up to 60hz, 4096x2160p is only supported up to 30hz. You can also use a startup script to force Android to start in any resolution and frame-rate, I'll check if I can find it.
        Yes, deleting the 4096x2160p entries did help. Also, I think my main problem/conflicts were with RefreshRate app and SmartYouTube, my solution was to not use the RefreshRate app and to also not use the Autoframerate settings in SmartYT app. The problems with SmartYouTube are the apks fault and not the ROM, Vanced YouTube worked without any issues and/or switching to 4k videos, which SmartYouTube had errors with several different 4k videos at 4k resolution.

Comment

ROM v1.6 released.

Comment

thank your FW,very useful.
            and would U like release RKUPDATE format FW?

Comment

trebor can you please PIN this Thread to the Top and Mark as [ROM] -- because it is a really nice ROM and deserves recognition!

Have tested the latest release Version 1.6 and it is Amazing!

Most of all my little quibbles about version 1.4 are fixed. I would rate this ROM at being 96% complete, it runs like a professional made ROM like something you would see being released on Ugoos or NvidiaShield.

# Things to Fix:
              • LeanKey Keyboard Pro is not set as Default Keyboard from initial Start-Up. *Suggestion: also add Gboard 64bit for phone to the ROM, I like using air-mouse remote, and that allows Freeform mode so that keyboard is Mini styled and can be moved around the screen.
              • TWRP is version 3.2.3-0 (android 8 release variant) which needs to be upgrade to at least version 3.3.1 which is fully compatible with Android 9. Currently the installed version will not mount /system for flashing System modifying Zips. Test it with Migrate app, if it could be updated I believe then Migrate would work. See info on XDA about Migrate. Link for download: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261765642 Click image for larger version  Name:	Migrate.apk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	802067
              • At first boot the Density or Scale is set to large and the Setup Wizard was too Zoomed in on screen, I believe this all has to do with the Bootloader not identifying the Aspect ratio of the TV correctly. Please add back your File that set the Resolution, because that file was not added every boot the device reverts to 1920x1080p30hz, I know that while setting the aspect ration at 4k the device will be up-scaling but that is okay, what aggravates me is that my Odroid_N2 has no problem remembering it is hooked up to a 4k TV. After boot Density can be set with Terminal :
                Code:
                wm density 320

# Suggestions:
              • Program some default key-actions, example: 1) Long-press Menu key > Open TV-Settings or MoreSettings. 2) Long-press Back key > ForceClose Foreground App (ForceClose Foreground App is not an option in the installed KeyMapper app so I must still use ButtonMapper by flar2)
              • Add the App Play Services Info (update) -- I don't know if due to the false Fingerprint, but the device would not auto update Play Services. With this app you can manually check and updated through the AndroidTV Play Store :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	play-services-info(update).jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	802068
              • Add Files by Google which works with D-pad remote :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Files-by-google.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	802066
              • Add Send Files to TV which has Adware but is still nice and simple to use :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	SendFilesToTV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	802065

# Setting a mobile/tablet launcher now works in ROM, but you must disable and not use DASHBOARD or it reverts back to AndroidTV Homescreen.
              • Lawnchair 2 launcher working straight from Reboot or PowerOn status :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	lawnchair2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	802071
              • Dark-mode android setting working in Lawnchair appdrawer :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	darkmode.appdrawer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	802069
              • Adding Taskbar gives Multi-tasking a whole competently better experience on a TV, usage :
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Taskbar.usage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	802070

Thank you mo123 -- can you please upload your Resolution-Fix file ""/system/usr/resolution_whitelist.xml"" so I can use that immediately, I forgot to make a backup of it when using the old version of the ROM.

Thanks!!!
              Last edited by RiCkLaR_atvX; 04-13-2020, 08:28. Reason: typo

Comment

Another thing, this probably needs to be forwarded to Radxa (forum) support, but it would be nice if the Bootloader was updated to include the newer CEC or libcec code for the Kernel+Bootloaders so that the device can recognize the states: 1) CEC - Wake-UP by user control press or view. 2) CEC Wake-Up by path or routing change(Active Route).

Basically I would love it if the device would wake from Sleep/Dormancy just by CEC inputs.

Comment

thank you @ mo123 ,& can you disable first boot setupwizard.mode in next release firmware? Google IP Not allowed in Dictatorship country

Comment

• gefattern
                    gefattern commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi , with "root" you can delete the specific App self , small Info ,

greetings / gefattern

Originally posted by onlyonce View Post
                  thank you @ mo123 ,& can you disable first boot setupwizard.mode in next release firmware? Google IP Not allowed in Dictatorship country
                  Why don't you setup your router to run through a VPN or Proxy to bypass country restrictions for all your Internet devices. If a VPN service doesn't allow to be used with modern ASUS routers then either it is time to buy a new router and/or to shop around for better VPN service.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

Why don't you setup your router to run through a VPN or Proxy to bypass country restrictions for all your Internet devices. If a VPN service doesn't allow to be used with modern ASUS routers then either it is time to buy a new router and/or to shop around for better VPN service.

many years ago VPN can be used,?Now update SSR Proxy address every day ,Each VPN IP can only survive for a few minutes,every time?
                    ,Big Brother watch you

Comment

Hello mo123

Was testing out a RK3368pro TVbox and it had a resolution_white.xml that worked perfectly with my 4K TV, on Auto from first boot it set the Resolution to 4k 60hz, see how much it differs from your previous file,
                      here:resolution_white.zip

Also noticed that the Performance Dialog setting in that Android 9 firmware also had a broken RAM reading, like I noted in a previous post, and that the entire window for "Performance Dialog" is half hidden because the service or apk that manages it does not scale when the density is changed and cuts off viewing most of the data that the Dialog is suppose to show.

Another thing I notice is that device was using a July 2019 AOSP code base but had a newer kernel 4.4.189 versus Radxa's 4.4.167 kernel.

Comment

Hello Anyone here can make a Pie Custom Rom for TX6 Allwinner H6

Comment

• mo123
                          mo123 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not possible since none of us have such a device.
                          Ask Tanix to do it since they are the manufacturer.

Thnk

Comment

Added v1.7 Custom ROM
                          Please test different gamepads and PS4 BT remotes since I added some changes to better detect them.
                          PS4 BT remotes might require Android 10 for full compatibility but I hope not and that it works in this updated ROM too.

Let me know of any interesting open-source apps that are useful for AndroidTV or free games with high ratings under 100MB then I will add it to the App Store.

Setup screen also removed so users in China can enjoy the ROM.
                          Check the App Store for other useful app store apps I added if Google Play is blocked in your country.

Comment

Working...
                          X