This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
    Zahir. trebor. alwaysbless: I posted a comment on cnx's website regarding the difference between your Antutu/Vellamo scores and those that he had posted in his review. He has followed up with some further tests which might be of interest. Look at the comments and the end of his review and post some feedback if you like.
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/...tv-box-review/
    Interesting, just needs a bit of a cool down to get the Numbers you seek.
    Often good to mention how these test are implemented,
    May have to get creative like the PiPo X7 thread, or fan as alwaysbless mentioned.
    All good, great to know whats the deal is.
    Cheers

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
      So heat is the problem with his benchmark scores. I have mine sitting on my targus chillmat so it doesn't barely even get warm I'll try testing again without it later but that kinda makes sense considering these things run on the hotter side of things

Will be interesting to see if you experience a similar slowdown or whether CNX has received a faulty unit. A Cortex A53 design is supposed to run cooler than an A9 (S802/812) or A12/17 (RK3288) device, particularly at 1.2GHz.

Comment

I suspected the discrepancies were heat-related, and the evidence Lurker has prompted confirms that. Guest, this won't do you any good. Your second generation has to start with raised rubber feet, a larger heatsink and some kernel tweaks. Not everyone wants a fan assembly whirring underneath their X6 in a living room environment - or the expense. If I ever want that, I'll revert to my Zotacs, with twice the power as my reward.

Comment

@Zahir: Let us know how the new machine performs as there appears to be a lot of interest in this recent model from Zidoo.

Comment

I'll be happy to share my experience in daily, practical use. I'm waiting for that first update to bring the box in line with its advertised potential. So far, there's a lot to like, some design choices to regret and the potential to grow in the hands of the young, committed team behind it. Let's give them a chance to show their stuff.

Comment

@treber, I see you own both Zidoo X6 and Tronsmart Ara X5.
              Between these two, which box do you prefer/recommend in terms of Kodi playback performance?

Comment

Not a big user of Kodi and all its features so I could not give a 100% whats the best.
                Kodi has always done well on Intel and no doubt X6 will get there.(others may give some thoughts)
                I guess the bang for buck must also come in as there is a bit of a price difference.
                Looking at other differences between the two, Intel may be in front others may disagree (he says waving a red flag to the dedicated Android users)
                Kodi is pretty good on anything, the X6 being new may take a few fixes and improvements from Zidoo team.
                if in doubt buy both

Have a look in the Intel ARA X5 thread lots of chatter presently setting up etc.

Cheers

treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Great. Thanks a lot for the reply

Comment

OTA Beta Firmware update available.

Model: ZIDOO_X6 Pro FW Version: v1.0.16 1.Add closing process prompt for task bar 2.Solve issue that no focus when entering into task bar for the...

Model: ZIDOO_X6 Pro
                    FW Version: v1.0.16

1.Add closing process prompt for task bar
                    2.Solve issue that no focus when entering into task bar for the first time.
                    3.Solve issue that no focus through left/right button to close process after entering task bar
                    4.Optimize the display of date and time(e.g.09:25 change into 9:25)
                    5.Add phone remote control on navigation default software
                    6.Add Vietnamese support on UI
                    7.In all apps,select system application and press menu button, to remove uninstall option
                    8.Optimize the wrong display path issue on system player
                    9.Add airplay(ios < 8.02,It will be support ios 9.0 in next vervion)
                    10.Solve explorer can't find the USB device
                    11、Optimize the HDMI adaptation problem when playing 4K 60Hz.
                    12、Modify the buffer strategy of underlying decoder, and optimize related
                    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Yes, mostly minor but useful stuff. A bigger update in the wings, hopefully with the missing features such as HDMI-CEC etc. But on first testing, video playback in Kodi and the native player seems smoother - on a par with more expensive devices. Their "buffer strategy" is an improvement.

Update: HDMI-CEC has disappeared from the X6's spec sheet on Zidoo's home site...goodbye to that mirage, then...
                      Last edited by Zahir; 10-14-2015, 21:39.

Comment

1) My box has been in danish customs for 3 days with no sign of anything happening. So it is hard to hear you guys debating... Argh!

2) I really hope that the missing HDMI-CEC is coming with the next sw update, the hw is present so it should be possible to address via sw updates. Otherwise I will let the box return to geekbuying. I bought it due to this feature.

3) Great that zidoo is creating updates, that was what was promised and we all hoped for. Crossing fingers that it will continue

Comment

If Danish customs can't figure out what this harmless box is after 3 days, they should be looking for other work... At the Cincinnati hub in the US, where shipments from China go through customs, it usually takes a few hours.. Best of luck.

I too would be happy to see HDMI-CEC enabled. It's one of the reasons I bought the box. But it has a lot else going for it and you can program the remote to power on/off your tv as well as the box. If you're a heavy Kodi user (I am), it's a very pleasant and mostly smooth experience at 1080p. There seem to be some bugs with 3d ISO playback which have been reported on Zidoo's own site, and which they'll surely address eventually. They're sticking to their promise to issue updates.

Suggest you use your enforced waiting time to hunt down some new raised feet for the device...that's almost a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
                            If Danish customs can't figure out what this harmless box is after 3 days, they should be looking for other work... At the Cincinnati hub in the US, where shipments from China go through customs, it usually takes a few hours.. Best of luck.

I too would be happy to see HDMI-CEC enabled. It's one of the reasons I bought the box. But it has a lot else going for it and you can program the remote to power on/off your tv as well as the box. If you're a heavy Kodi user (I am), it's a very pleasant and mostly smooth experience at 1080p. There seem to be some bugs with 3d ISO playback which have been reported on Zidoo's own site, and which they'll surely address eventually. They're sticking to their promise to issue updates.

Suggest you use your enforced waiting time to hunt down some new raised feet for the device...that's almost a must.
                            That is not entirely true about customs delay of a few hours in the US. As you know, I have purchased numerous devices, boxes, remotes, etc. from Geekbuying. I usually select the free shipping method. I track the orders, and most of the time it only takes about 10 days from my order on the computer to the arrival to my mailbox. My shipments enter the US at different locations, and sometimes they sit in customs for 3 or 4 days..
                            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

My wait times refer to DHL shipments. I should have clarified that. I've had several items from Geekbuying and other China shops via DHL - the longest customs wait I had was half-a-day.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
                                My wait times refer to DHL shipments. I should have clarified that. I've had several items from Geekbuying and other China shops via DHL - the longest customs wait I had was half-a-day.
                                Haha. Yeah, but I am cheap, so I pick the cheapest shipping method. I did select the more expensive DHL shipping when I ordered my Minix X8-H Plus, was in a hurry to test it out. I guess we never really grow up, still waiting for Santa to bring us toys and pacing the floor waiting.
                                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Working...
                                X