Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Zidoo run off Linux like Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the Zidoo run off Linux like Ubuntu?

Is it possible to install from scratch a different operating system other than Android? I know this is an Extreme change in OS but as long as the hardware is relatively compatible with most of the current kernel drivers for Ubuntu for example such as the Wireless and Ethernet as well as the GPU then it should theoretically work? I know there are many flavors or Arm for linux but not sure if the Zidoo Rockchip 8 core is supported but the Linux kernel or not?

Sorry about all my posts but each one has merit to be a separate post. I did not want to clutter all my questions in one post.

Thanks

Originally posted by androidfr33k View Post
    Is it possible to install from scratch a different operating system other than Android? I know this is an Extreme change in OS but as long as the hardware is relatively compatible with most of the current kernel drivers for Ubuntu for example such as the Wireless and Ethernet as well as the GPU then it should theoretically work? I know there are many flavors or Arm for linux but not sure if the Zidoo Rockchip 8 core is supported but the Linux kernel or not?

Sorry about all my posts but each one has merit to be a separate post. I did not want to clutter all my questions in one post.

Thanks
    I don't know about the X6 specifically. But on the RK3368, the GeekBox(3368) has a Linux variant(Ubuntu?), so there is a possibility the X6 could do it. Should not take too much. See here, scroll down to support section.

My post not to be considered for the contest.

Comment

I think all RK3368 Box could run Ubuntu, but you may have problems with modules like wifi because of no drivers in it.
      Does anyone tried this?

Comment

Thats why I was curious because the Zidoo X6 Pro has an AP6335 module and the Geekbox has an AP6354 both seem to be in the same family of controllers and the geekbox one is supported in Ubuntu maybe because Geebox provided the driver for linux? Are these modules very different and is the AP6335 a newer version? A google search shows no hits on the comparison of the two wifi modules.

Comment

Not just the drivers but there could be other issues a such as custom audio libraries. I know some codecs are unique hence generic OS may not be fully functional right away. Unless a hardcore developer or zidoo team themselves release it, I'd be very careful in experiments

Comment

In the Zidoo forum a long time ago there were files to be able to dualboot with a Linux system

Comment

Working...
            X