Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coloured pointers, flashable in recovery, for Minix neo x7

Hi all, I thought it could be interesting to have the possibility to change
    the stock pointer arrow with new other ones (every moment you want).
    So, I have prepared some zip packages which easily, in recovery mode, will flash
    new coloured pointers.
    Here is a PC screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pointers - PC screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	439061

Unlike Minix stock pointer, these pointers are well centered:
    If you go to -> "Settings" -> "Developer options" -> "Pointer location"
    and check the box, you can verify it.
    (Besides these packages, there is also a zip package that will flash a centered Minix stock pointer).

This is the procedure to follow (step-by-step):
    Unzip the file "Coloured_pointers_flashable_in_recovery_for_Minix _neo_x7.zip":

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Copy the content in the main directory of an external sd, and insert it into the Minix X7.
    Reboot the device in recovery mode and:

(if in stock recovery)
    use the Minix IR remote and
    Scroll down to -> "apply update from external storage" -> press ok
    Choose your zip package -> press ok
    (Minix will reboot two times in recovery mode) ->
    "reboot system now" -> press ok
    "reboot system now" -> press ok
    On the second reboot you will enjoy the new pointer.

(if in cwm recovery)
    use the Minix neo A2 remote or any other wifi and wired keyboards and
    Scroll down to -> "install zip from sdcard" -> press enter
    Scroll down to -> "choose zip from external sdcard" -> press enter
    Choose your zip package -> press enter
    Scroll down to -> "Yes - Install update..." -> press enter
    Scroll down to -> "go back" -> press enter
    "reboot system now" -> press enter
    On reboot you will enjoy the new pointer.

You can reboot in recovery mode in various ways:
    -If you have root access:
    install from playstore the free app "Quick Boot": https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.quickboot
    open it and choose to reboot in --> "Recovery"

-If you don't have root access:
    Disconnect any usb cable (if eventually connected)
    Insert a pin in the reset hole (on the rear, next to hdmi port) and in the meantime
    press the power button (on the right side) and hold both pressed for about 5 seconds,
    then leave both them and wait just a little until the device will reboot in recovery.

WARNING:
    These zip packages are specific for Minix x7 (jellybean firmware), don't use for other devices.
    Don't rename them to update.zip, because, if you do that, automatically they will be recognized as an update package flashable in fastboot mode (and not in recovery mode).
    If you give confirmation, Minix will reboot in fastboot and will remain in bootloop until you unplug
    the sd card from the device.

PS: Everyone is free to include one or more of these pointers to his own custom rom.

Gio965
    Last edited by gio965; 02-10-2014, 13:52.

No feedback??
    Please, can someone give an opinion about installation and pointers?

Comment

Ah, i feel your pain, the mouse can be out of sync as well, sometimes i hover the cursor over a link just to find out the hover action being done either a few inches above or below, a single click on emptiness though fixes it.

I use Wassers KitKat rom, and the cursor is a lot friendlier than the minix stock one, but still, pressing that X on closing tabs on browsers can be a pain in the arse, sometimes im a few inches away from it and it still presses the X.

There are numerous unaddressed annoying issues that people seem to find it easy to live with .

Comment

Originally posted by Pluto View Post
        Ah, i feel your pain, the mouse can be out of sync as well, sometimes i hover the cursor over a link just to find out the hover action being done either a few inches above or below, a single click on emptiness though fixes it.

I use Wassers KitKat rom, and the cursor is a lot friendlier than the minix stock one, but still, pressing that X on closing tabs on browsers can be a pain in the arse, sometimes im a few inches away from it and it still presses the X.

There are numerous unaddressed annoying issues that people seem to find it easy to live with .
        Hi Pluto, I don't know Wasser's Kitkat rom and its cursor.
        If you go to -> "Settings" -> "Developer options" -> "Pointer location"
        and check the box, you can verify the position of your cursor (if it's correct or less).
        If it's not centered , you could try one of my zip packages.
        Let me know

EDIT: My zip packages are tested on jellybean (minix firmware version 004 to 009).
        I'm not sure if they are compatible with kitkat so probably it's better to wait.
        However if you extract and upload somewhere the framework_res.apk of your rom,
        I can control and eventually prepare a compatible package.

EDIT2: I have downloaded Wasser's Kitkat rom and extracted the framework_res.apk.
        Kitkat framework_res.apk is different from jellybean one (both as structure and size),
        so surely my zip packages can't be installed on your kitkat firmware.
        Last edited by gio965; 02-05-2014, 21:34.

Comment

good job on this one gio. The pointer looks neat and it really hits right on target. I can now insert text accurately in a word in just a single click! I say, this should be incorporated on every custom roms.

Comment

Originally posted by blackstarr View Post
            good job on this one gio. The pointer looks neat and it really hits right on target. I can now insert text accurately in a word in just a single click! I say, this should be incorporated on every custom roms.
            Many thanks blackstarr for your appreciation, I agree with you and surely writing and browsing would be easier.

Comment

I did the pointer location test on KitKat and it seems fine, as i said, compared to JB roms, KK's cursor is brilliant. But i still have this doubt that the cursor area might be way too big, as i noted on the previous post, sometimes i touch a TAB in Chrome to move it around, it actually closes it

Comment

I did the pointer location test on KitKat and it seems fine, as i said, compared to JB roms, KK's cursor is brilliant. But i still have this doubt that the cursor area might be way too big, as i noted on the previous post, sometimes i touch a TAB in Chrome to move it around, it actually closes it
                If the pointer location test is positive consequently I don't think that your issue is due to a larger cursor area (in my opinion, the cursor area should be only a point) but probably to a larger or shifted sensible area of buttons on kitkat firmware.
                It's surely a problem and the solution, probably, should be searched elsewhere...

Comment

Possible to add kitkat support? Waser rom?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantenna View Post
                    At this moment, I can't answer you ... I'm with jellybean firmware
                    In the next days I will install Wasser rom and I will make some tests

Comment

Originally posted by gio965 View Post
                      If the pointer location test is positive consequently I don't think that your issue is due to a larger cursor area (in my opinion, the cursor area should be only a point) but probably to a larger or shifted sensible area of buttons on kitkat firmware.
                      It's surely a problem and the solution, probably, should be searched elsewhere...
                      Gio, i hope you forgive me if this question deviates your thread, but you are the first person to address issues near this area.

Here is the anomally i have. Notice where the Cursor is and Notice the thread highlighted above through the hover function, it just seems an out of sync thing to me but i definitely do not have the skills to explain this in better words, have a look at the screenshot. I am pretty sure a lot of people with hardware keyboards have this, at least narrowed to Logitech K400 users.

Comment

Gio, i hope you forgive me if this question deviates your thread, but you are the first person to address issues near this area.

Here is the anomally i have. Notice where the Cursor is and Notice the thread highlighted above through the hover function, it just seems an out of sync thing to me but i definitely do not have the skills to explain this in better words, have a look at the screenshot. I am pretty sure a lot of people with hardware keyboards have this, at least narrowed to Logitech K400 users.

http://i62.tinypic.com/11goxgh.png
                        Hi Pluto, I have just installed Wasser rom and I have not noticed your issue.
                        The cursor is quite precise (just a few pixel of distance) and I can browse without any problem.
                        If I were you, I would revert to a jellybean firmware (to be sure all that is not due to your hardware) then I would try again to reinstall wasser rom (I used this 1080p kernel: kernel-minix-x7-110114-2).
                        I hope you can solve.

Originally posted by Cantenna
                        I've made a first test and I have verified that it's possible to give support also for kitkat.
                        In the next days I will prepare new zip packages specific for kitkat.
                        Last edited by gio965; 02-07-2014, 23:15.

Comment

Hi Pluto, I have just installed Wasser rom and I have not noticed your issue.
                          The cursor is quite precise (just a few pixel of distance) and I can browse without any problem.
                          If I were you, I would revert to a jellybean firmware (to be sure all that is not due to your hardware) then I would try again to reinstall wasser rom (I used this 1080p kernel: kernel-minix-x7-110114-2).
                          I hope you can solve.

I've made a first test and I have verified that it's possible to give support also for kitkat.

Sweet! Thanks!

Comment

@Cantenna and all Wasser rom users

Here is a first zip package for kit kat:

(update_x7_pointer_arrow_white-red_kk)
                            MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

and the stock kitkat pointer perfectly centered:

(update_x7_pointer_arrow_stock_kk)

Copy them directly in the main directory of your external sd card,
                            and install in recovery mode (use the inbuilt app "Reboot").

Other more zip packages will follow shortly.

Enjoy and let me know.

@Pluto
                            Did you solve your issue?
                            Last edited by gio965; 02-09-2014, 09:34.

Comment

Awesome! Will try and will let you know. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X