Tronsmart S89 Standard Finless 1.2 ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nutzu View Post
    because they use tape to stick the heatsink is getting very hot if u use the box more than 4 hours my advice like Bob say on other post open it and use termopaste.
    Yes I can't fault your logic - agreed... But only if the unit gets too hot and how do you quantify that? When is too hot - really too hot? Also this will be different for every CPU. Some will still work well when "too hot" others will fail. I think we will see problems occur for some users when we crank the CPU frequency up to 2Ghz and they have very high ambient temperatures - say 30degC - 40Degc. Its a difficult thing to pin point. Another (less invasive solution for non-techies) would be to under clock the CPU a bit?

I did have some crashes with earlier FW versions which I though might be temperature related but after keeping some tabs on when it happens it turned out that it was only when using XBMC. I did not see these crashes with XBMC RC1 or Gotham final though so I guess it was resolved.

Comment

In "general" most electronic chips these days are rated for about 165F and above that is considered too hot. So if you can measure the chip itself and if it is getting above 150F I would do something about it.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I don't have my daughter with me this weekend, so I'll have some free time to fiddle with my Beelink M8 - I was planning on opening it up and doing a fan mod (top of case, sucking air out) and an external antenna mod (I'll document both mods, for those who are interested).

I'm in Australia and whereas it's winter now, summers tend to be quite hot here (as they do everywhere, I suppose ). So the fan mod will be preventative maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          In "general" most electronic chips these days are rated for about 165F and above that is considered too hot. So if you can measure the chip itself and if it is getting above 150F I would do something about it.

Bob
          yes correct... but that's junction temperature... no good way to measure that except if we have a temperature diode on the chip and a driver to read back temperature. Is this available?

Pointless to stick a probe on the heatsink...

Comment

Fan and Antenna mod

Originally posted by gizmomelb View Post
            I don't have my daughter with me this weekend, so I'll have some free time to fiddle with my Beelink M8 - I was planning on opening it up and doing a fan mod (top of case, sucking air out) and an external antenna mod (I'll document both mods, for those who are interested).

I'm in Australia and whereas it's winter now, summers tend to be quite hot here (as they do everywhere, I suppose ). So the fan mod will be preventative maintenance.

I am waiting for my Vega S89 to arrive and also plan to do an antenna mod. I would be interested in seeing both the fan and antenna mod. Thanks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lokie View Post
              yes correct... but that's junction temperature... no good way to measure that except if we have a temperature diode on the chip and a driver to read back temperature. Is this available?

Pointless to stick a probe on the heatsink...
              Since there is no airflow over the sink, a thermal temp gun should be damn close to processor temps especially if it's been on for a while and the sink is heat soaked.

Bob
              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Hey Finless, I sent you a PM

I just installed your 1.2 ROM and when my box starts up, its a black droid that says "A Finless Bob Rom". Nothing else is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by thechemist View Post
                  Hey Finless, I sent you a PM

I just installed your 1.2 ROM and when my box starts up, its a black droid that says "A Finless Bob Rom". Nothing else is happening.
                  You sure you loaded the standard version for 16GB box or elite version for 8GB box?
                  It takes a few minutes to boot the first time also....

Comment

You sure you loaded the standard version for 16GB box or elite version for 8GB box?
                    It takes a few minutes to boot the first time also....
                    I have the standard version and I made sure i downloaded the standard version of the ROM

Comment

I have the standard version and I made sure i downloaded the standard version of the ROM
                      Maybe try to reload low level. Toothpick-in-the-av port?

Comment

Maybe try to reload low level. Toothpick-in-the-av port?
                        I uploaded it via method 2 to check for errors. Didn't get any errors and restarted it when finished. I put the stock ROM back on and rooted it with the stock root for the time being.

Comment

I uploaded it via method 2 to check for errors. Didn't get any errors and restarted it when finished. I put the stock ROM back on and rooted it with the stock root for the time being.
                          ... Loaded 3 boxes witb no probs.

Comment

... Loaded 3 boxes witb no probs.
                            I just tried to upload the ROM again and I keep getting this screen.

I flashed the stock ROM (101k4) first then flashed Finless 1.2 on it.

Comment

I just tried to upload the ROM again and I keep getting this screen.

I flashed the stock ROM (101k4) first then flashed Finless 1.2 on it.

flash the 101k4 first and then go to this likn

and use that to root
                              i did the same you did and you can't use the 1.2 when you flash the 101k4 rom

Comment

Originally posted by Brinis View Post
                                flash the 101k4 first and then go to this likn

and use that to root
                                i did the same you did and you can't use the 1.2 when you flash the 101k4 rom
                                this is what I'm running now. I want to try Finless' 1.2 ROM. Should I flash 100K4 first then Finless 1.2?

Comment

Working...
                                X