X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talas
    replied
    Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
    One problem is, that the SoC only includes 2.0...
    "2015 they are coming out with Blu-ray 4k 100gb disks"
    - 2015 => I think we talk about only some and maybe time for a new toy in 2015?
    - 100GB => at 40GB untouched we talk about ~40Mbit/s , maybe sometime max peak at 50Mbit/s, so I think we talk about less then ~120Mbit/s, so enough space to the limit
    Actually its a complete mess when regarding 4k as HEVC is great for small file creation but in terms of quality it can be Worse than h.264,..please read my thread in Beelink section.

The Blu-ray Disc Association, which comprises movie powerhouses like Fox, Disney and Sony, has announced the first ultra-spec, UHD discs will be released in 2015.
    The new 4K Blu-ray drive players will be able to extract data from discs at 82 megabits per second for 50GB discs, 108Mbps for 66GB discs, and 128Mbps for 100GB discs. The technology quadruples the number of pixels from 1,920x1,080 pixels with today's HD to 3,820x2,160 pixels with UHD.

HEVC h.265 was a quick solution to get 4k through the door but it has a large number of issues and other formats are been leaned upon to give better performance and size and the fact many want a streaming solution rather Optical based is muddying the waters.

Amazon’s 4K Instant Video service will land on Samsung and Sony TVs in October, while providers such as Wuaki.tv and CHILI have pledged to deliver Ultra-HD content.
    Sony has announced its own Privilege Movies 4K promotion, which gives anyone buying a 2014 Sony 4K TV this autumn a 500GB hard drive player to download five of a choice of 10 4K movies, including Amazing Spider-Man, Total Recall and Ghostbusters.
    Expect Itunes to sell there WEB-DL movies in 4K in November.

Leave a comment:

• Talas
    replied
    Originally posted by racerant View Post
    Do you think that usb 2.0 will be enought to play large 4K files on this rk3288 chipset? Did anybody tested it ? Rk3288 and mali t764 is powerfull but it seems usb 2.0 will cause some problems for large 4k files.
    Files tested on Beelink R89 RK3288 4K through HDMI 2.0/60 are working please read my thread in Beelink section.

Leave a comment:

• Shomari
    replied
    I beleive that h265 has a very important role at this point...
    XBMC build with HEVC hardware decoding has been spotted in the wild.

RK3288 development is at a much more advanced stage than most thought, or are even now willing to admit.

Leave a comment:

• clarkss12
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomari View Post
    If anyone has a specific clip they want tested, link it. I've asked multiple places what kind of multimedia tets should be done, but not much response has materialized.

I take it as an indication of what I already suspect: most people do not yet have 4K devices or video libraries, and are definitely not in a position where 4K can be streamed via web, anytime soon.

1080p does absolutely nothing to stress these RK3288 boxes, in any format, at any bitrate. 4K should at least be adequate. Only bad thing is I have no 4K tv sets myself, so I can test and confirm proper playback, but not in any optimal way.
    At this point, these boxes are becoming very capable at playing almost every video available. However, these boxes (RK3288) still struggle with streaming live TV in mpeg 2 TS format @ 720P and sometimes 1080i. If you have a tuner, you can see what I am talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Shomari
    replied
    If anyone has a specific clip they want tested, link it. I've asked multiple places what kind of multimedia tets should be done, but not much response has materialized.

I take it as an indication of what I already suspect: most people do not yet have 4K devices or video libraries, and are definitely not in a position where 4K can be streamed via web, anytime soon.

1080p does absolutely nothing to stress these RK3288 boxes, in any format, at any bitrate. 4K should at least be adequate. Only bad thing is I have no 4K tv sets myself, so I can test and confirm proper playback, but not in any optimal way.

Leave a comment:

• no_spam_for_me
    replied
    Originally posted by Haba View Post
    Really depends upon the quality of the video. 2015 they are coming out with Blu-ray 4k 100gb disks. A ripped uncompressed file is huge with very large bitrates. I simply see no good reason to not have USB 3 on a new device in 2014.
    One problem is, that the SoC only includes 2.0...
    "2015 they are coming out with Blu-ray 4k 100gb disks"
    - 2015 => I think we talk about only some and maybe time for a new toy in 2015?
    - 100GB => at 40GB untouched we talk about ~40Mbit/s , maybe sometime max peak at 50Mbit/s, so I think we talk about less then ~120Mbit/s, so enough space to the limit

Leave a comment:

• Haba
    replied
    USB 2.0 => ~250Mbit/s (netto) => If you show me a video with more than 200Mbit/s then I will say "USB 2.0 is too less for this device" ...
    Really depends upon the quality of the video. 2015 they are coming out with Blu-ray 4k 100gb disks. A ripped uncompressed file is huge with very large bitrates. I simply see no good reason to not have USB 3 on a new device in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• bluesmanuk
    replied
    I asked about the Mali T764 over at the Arm community site and was told:

'Hello, the ARM website introduces the family instead of all its derivatives.The Mali-T764 is part of the Mali-T760 family and the 4 stands for 4 cores.'

Which confirms what was said earlier.

Leave a comment:

• no_spam_for_me
    replied
    USB 2.0 => ~250Mbit/s (netto) => If you show me a video with more than 200Mbit/s then I will say "USB 2.0 is too less for this device" ...

Leave a comment:

• Haba
    replied
    Do you think that usb 2.0 will be enought to play large 4K files on this rk3288 chipset? Did anybody tested it ? Rk3288 and mali t764 is powerfull but it seems usb 2.0 will cause some problems for large 4k files.
    Even with H265, you should be focused on the one high speed port on this box, the Gig Ethernet port for 4k. USB 3.0 is sorely missing.

Leave a comment:

• Seattletruth
    replied
    Originally posted by oggielerr View Post
    well, so as far as the t764 performance, after we know its a t760 with 4 cores (although the t76x series is adoptable to up to 16 cores - really cant realize why they made it "only" 4 cores), what do you can say about its performance in compare to the powervr ETC. latest competitors GPUs?
    I found this incredible table while googling last night, it lists the hypothetical computation power of every mobile and desktop gpu that has been officially released, along with the computational power of every gaming console released in around the last 15-20 years!

While someone spent a lot of time making this, it's important to realize that it's just a general guideline, not necessarily 100% accurate. Their values for the adreno 330 line seem suspect, as it rates the snapdragon 800 as 1.5x the gpu compute of the tegra 4, which just isn't so. The tegra 4 beats it.

With that said, you can see that the t760 gpu fairs well against the completion.

The reason why rockchip went with 4 cores instead of 16 is pretty obvious - thermal and energy consumption constraints.

According to that table, if the 81 gflops for 4 cores scaled linearly, the 16 core t760 would be pushing around 325 gflops. This is on par with PS3 level gpu, along being very close to the current tegra tk1 Kepler gpu!

You might say that sounds great... Let me tell you it's a NIGHTMARE for a mobile device. It would suck your tablet battery dry in record time. Not only that but it would reach unsafe levels of heat, as the Nvidia shield tablet is experiencing.

I had the shield tab but returned it. I am willing to bet that the lifespan of the shield tablet will be incredibly short, and the electronics will prematurely die. Not to mention the battery lasts like 1-2 hours when playing an optimized game.

The 4 core rk3288 barely handles thermal/energy constraints as it is... Imagine if 4 times the amount of electrons were running through those pipes!

You also have to factor in the die space required for the gpu. There is limited real estate, and the gpu is always relatively large. I have a feeling that the 16 core version would be massive.

It is interesting to note that the new a15/a7/mali-t760 chip from mediatek only has 2 cores of each.

Even more interesting is that the new Samsung EXYNOS 5433 chip in the international Note 4 which features the t760 outperformed the adreno 420 on most recent benchmarks.

New benchmarks have hit AnTuTu this week, showing off the performance of the upcoming Galaxy Note 4 from Samsung, powered by an Exynos 5433 processor. The 5433 is Samsung’s new in-house 64-bit octa-core processor, featuring four Cortex-A57 cores and four Cortex-A53 cores. In addition to...

While it's obvious that the gpu is competent, it's not clear how many cores the exynos 5433 gpu has, or what process the chip is made. If it's 20nm, Samsung will see much better thermal/energy figures.

It's also interesting to note that the allwinner a80 dual core gpu only figures around 60 GFLOPS in the original table I listed and the Intel 3735 gpu only marks around 40. So while the rk3288 might not have the fastesr application processor of the bunch it seems like it has the beefiest gpu... Which for a high res mobile / TV chip, is arguably more important.

Leave a comment:

• Javimetal
    replied
    Where to download one? I am in Hong Kong this week, after back to Shenzhen I can test some movies in several RK3288, also in the stick Zero Devices Z5C Thinko

Leave a comment:

• Javimetal
    replied
    Someone calls it "core" other one calls it "shader"...
    Someone say a "core" is the same as a "shader", other one say a "core" can have multiple "shader"...

So I have no idea how they count...

I only know e.g. one mips chip at SAT-Receiver they also mix "core" and "shader" but they use less "core" then "shader" but count the "shader" as "cores"...
    They call as "hardware units"

Leave a comment:

• racerant
    replied
    Originally posted by dlangejc View Post
    4K movies would anything from 50GB to 160 GB depending on the compression and running time? Unsure if the format will need to be streamed or stored on hard drive. I don't see myself rolling with a 100 GB ISO per video, we need to check what the unit conversion is to see if USB 2 will be adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I beleive that h265 has a very important role at this point...

Leave a comment:

• dlangejc
    replied
    The latest news about RK3288

4K movies would anything from 50GB to 160 GB depending on the compression and running time? Unsure if the format will need to be streamed or stored on hard drive. I don't see myself rolling with a 100 GB ISO per video, we need to check what the unit conversion is to see if USB 2 will be adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X