OpenElec on EM8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenElec on EM8

You don't get full access using that method. You can't get access to the xbmc file system except for the userdata.

Comment

Thinking aloud about those who can't get past the boot screen. Would restoring a TWRP backup of a successful OpenElec installation do it?

You'd have to know how to use TWRP recovery: but that method might by-pass the entire zip installation process that seems not to work for some?

If you want to try, I can backup my core installation and post it, along with the custom recovery file. The whole thing can be done from an SD card.

Comment

That would be great zahir.

Comment

Originally posted by luke71933 View Post
          That would be great zahir.
          Do you know your way around TWRP?

Even if you do, your mileage may vary, depending on your box.

With that caveat, I'm uploading my backup to Mega. Link is posted here

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

The upload zip consists of one folder and two files. You are concerned with the folder (TWRP) and the recovery.img file. (The second file is my remote config file, should you want to try it later).

NB: Have your USB Keyboard WITH TRACKPAD (or mouse) plugged in AT THE OUTSET (for navigation in TWRP and maybe OPenElec if your remote doesn't work)

Put the TWRP folder and the recovery.img on an empty SD card (FAT 32 format)
          Insert SD card
          Use toothpick method on box
          You will boot into custom recovery
          Restore backup from External SD
          After restore, don't reboot from recovery. Pull the cord and restart.

(You may get a script error or two at the end, don't worry).

Good luck.

PS: If the restore fails, remove the SD card and get into stock recovery with the toothpick. From there, do a factory reset. Then reinstall whatever you were running before...

With this method, your stock recovery remains intact TWRP stays on the external SD card.
          Last edited by Zahir; 10-24-2014, 04:11.

Comment

Recovery with keyboard instead if using USB mouse

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
            Do you know your way around TWRP?

Even if you do, your mileage may vary, depending on your box.

With that caveat, I'm uploading my backup to Mega. Link is posted here

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

The upload zip consists of one folder and two files. You are concerned with the folder (TWRP) and the recovery.img file. (The second file is my remote config file, should you want to try it later).

NB: Have your USB Keyboard plugged in AT THE OUTSET (for navigation in TWRP and maybe OPenElec if your remote doesn't work)

Put the TWRP folder and the recovery.img on an empty SD card (FAT 32 format)
            Insert SD card
            Use toothpick method on box
            You will boot into custom recovery
            Restore backup from External SD
            After backup, don't reboot from recovery. Pull the cord and restart.

(You may get a script error or two at the end, don't worry).

Good luck.
            Will this allow to install using keyboard in recovery instead of USB mouse ?

Comment

I only ever use a usb keyboard with trackpad, no mouse. It works fine for me. Plug it in before doing anything else. And please remember, your mileage may vary, depending on the box. But I have flashed my own backup to my box, and it worked like a charm..

But you do need the trackpad because TWRP has a touch interface.

Comment

I only ever use a usb keyboard, no mouse. It works fine for me. Plug it in before doing anything else. And please remember, your mileage may vary, depending on the box. But I have flashed my own backup to my box, and it worked like a charm..

Do I need to install twrp on my box before installing these files to try and restore ?

also which remote are you using in regards to the remote.conf

Comment

I only ever use a usb keyboard with trackpad, no mouse. It works fine for me. Plug it in before doing anything else. And please remember, your mileage may vary, depending on the box. But I have flashed my own backup to my box, and it worked like a charm..

But you do need the trackpad because TWRP has a touch interface.
                  Dam , my keyboard does not have a trackpad

Comment

Originally posted by Krankie View Post
                    Do I need to install twrp on my box before installing these files to try and restore ?

also which remote are you using in regards to the re
                    ote.conf file
                    No, you don't need to

The goal of this method is to leave your stock recovery intact and not flash anything over it. That way, if things don't work, you can go back easily.

Put the recovery.img in my zip on to your SD card, along with the TWRP folder. Insert the SD card, then do the toothpick thing. TWRP will boot off your SD card.

Comment

Need that trackpad - or borrow a mouse?

I use my own remote.conf file, which is included in my upload. It makes my remote completely usable with OpenElec. It's not built into my backup because my goal is to leave the installation as close to "stock" as possible. You can add the remote file later.

Comment

No, you don't need to

The goal of this method is to leave your stock recovery intact and not flash anything over it. That way, if things don't work, you can go back easily.

Put the recovery.img in my zip on to your SD card, along with the TWRP folder. Insert the SD card, then do the toothpick thing. TWRP will boot off your SD card.

Ok ok will try , coudnt select restore from ext using keyboard on just me files , told I needed a USB mouse as using keyboard did not allow me to select from ext , could navigate to the option but pressing enter on it did nothing

Comment

Have ordered a mouse , hopefully here tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Krankie View Post
                            Have ordered a mouse , hopefully here tomorrow
                            Always good to have one around...
                            Last edited by Zahir; 10-23-2014, 17:54.

Comment

Always good to have one round...

Agreed , just gave mine away a few days ago to the bloody mother in law as hers was broken , typical

Comment

OpenElec on EM8

I use my own remote.conf file, which is included in my upload. It makes my remote completely usable with OpenElec. It's not built into my backup because my goal is to leave the installation as close to "stock" as possible. You can add the remote file later.
                                Sounds good.

How did you create your remote.conf? Or did you find it somewhere? I need to tweak my xbmc keymap a little so it works like the remote should do.

I'll test the TWRP backup on my second m8.

Comment

Working...
                                X