Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Originally posted by shaan_npl View Post
    Dear Alok Can you compile the driver for Bluetooth Chipset is RDA 5876 please (source file attached)...or at least if anyone could guide me to the basics of driver compilation from source... Thanks...
    This driver is usually included in the kernel sources, tcc_bt_dev support in /drivers/misc

leolas.
    REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
    My devices:
    Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
    MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
    Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
    Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
    Gearbest.com)
    MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
    Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
    Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by aloksinha2001 View Post
      Very nice gmiti.. well done... Thank you for the pack - it seems complete, Its exciting to test this... will do soon.
      I was working to get the PicUntu released on Mk908, you just saved a lot of efforts.

While, I get this into a complete pack - A simple step could be.
      1. Unzip the Picuntu 4.5Nand folder - on Linux
      2. Mount the system.img into a directory. Copy Omegamoons - firmware/modules into the <mountedfile>/lib/modules
      3. Make changes to the <mountedfile>/etc/init (as you have done)
      4. Flash your compiled NAND kernel directly - and you are done !!

You may hit the time bug - fsck mount time... I solved by setting my linux machine to 1/1/1970 before mounting/unmounting the filesystem (uggh) .. also fixed /etc/fsck.conf (broken_system_time option) but that had not worked...

Anyways, I am so definitely going to try this out... cool stuff - Thanks.

Alok
      I tried this method of mounting the system.img and copy-pasting of Omegamoons prebuilt 3.0.72+ modules into the lib/modules (overwriting the previous files). After flashing the mk908 did not boot (I don't have v2 but I'm not sure if its v1 or v3).

Comment

UNOFFICIAL PicUntu 4.5 installer for MK908 v3

First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices!

Following the postings from gmtii and alok's response, I've re-compressed a version of the installer 7z (DOWNLOAD HERE) which contains an updated system.img that includes Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules (/lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive, /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo), as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img. I hope that this can allow more people to try out PicUntu on their MK908 devices!

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
        0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

(Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)

9. Enjoy PicUntu on your MK908 device!

I'm in the process of configuring a MK908 to control an AR.Drone quadrotor autonomously using OpenCV and ROS. More on that soon (I hope)

Sidenote: to find out what is the board version of you MK908, you need to open the case (by slowly propping it open using a spadger/ flat screwdriver/etc), and look for the text "MK908 V3.0 2013/05/13" on the side with the reset/flash button, near the OTG mini-USB jack.

P.S. to Alok: in RkAndroidTool.exe, you can right-click on the list of items and export an updated flash configuration into config.cfg
        Last edited by goldenfly; 10-14-2013, 00:13.

Comment

Thanks goldenfly. It finally booted for my mk908 v3.

wifi: gets ip address after loading the module but firefox/chromium don't connect to internet.

Comment

Originally posted by mustafaupk View Post
            Thanks goldenfly. It finally booted for my mk908 v3.

wifi: gets ip address after loading the module but firefox/chromium don't connect to internet.
            Yeah, I still haven't found a proper solution, though a fast bypass hack is to do everything net-related in 'sudo bash' (even launching firefox as root will work).

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfly View Post
              P.S. to Alok: in RkAndroidTool.exe, you can right-click on the list of items and export an updated flash configuration into config.cfg
              Yes !! thats what I was looking for.. .thanks will try it out... NOW Alok

Comment

First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices! Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically. 8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted. (Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)
                1. You can load the modules on install every time - by a. making sure, the module is under the /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel b. depmod -a c. Then insert the file rkwifi in the /etc/modules directory. 2. It seems, you may have compiled the kernel with NETWORK_PARANOID option, check and disable, to allow everyone BTW: Good to see picuntu on mk908 Alok

Comment

try this config with disabled CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK and enabled CONFIG_SYSVIPC (chrome doesn't show pages content and some services can't be started like apache https://plus.google.com/u/0/104676886289084007032/posts).

Notice that the hardware console is attached to ttyS2 (hw uart console mod) so no boot text on screen.

cheers!

First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices!

Following the postings from gmtii and alok's response, I've re-compressed a version of the installer 7z (DOWNLOAD HERE) which contains an updated system.img that includes Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules (/lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive, /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo), as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img. I hope that this can allow more people to try out PicUntu on their MK908 devices!

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
                  0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

(Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)

9. Enjoy PicUntu on your MK908 device!

I'm in the process of configuring a MK908 to control an AR.Drone quadrotor autonomously using OpenCV and ROS. More on that soon (I hope)

Sidenote: to find out what is the board version of you MK908, you need to open the case (by slowly propping it open using a spadger/ flat screwdriver/etc), and look for the text "MK908 V3.0 2013/05/13" on the side with the reset/flash button, near the OTG mini-USB jack.

Comment

Is there any way to enable wifi on iMito QX1?
                    USB (AX8877**) 2.0 ethernet works fine, but no wifi.
                    Bundled media player does not work due to gstreamer errors. I'll try VLC software decoding on 720p.

Firefox has no flash (but can be added I guess) by default, it plays 720p html5 videos slow. Chrome plays even slower.

I measured 1 amp while playing 720p html5 video on firefox, usually it is 0.65 amp but it goes below 0.5 amp when it is at idle.

I want to stress device with some kind of benchmark to see max. power withdrawal. Any recommendations?

Comment

I installed VLC. By default output, it failed to play 720p mkv. I tried different output buffers, only X11 video output worked. However, it doesn't work in full screen. It only works on windowed mode and it tends to drop frames due to 100% cpu utilization. All 4 cores are maxed and uses 1 amp from 5volt adapter.

I installed something called "stress" from package manager. It maxes 4 cpu but withdraws only 0.8 amp power from adapter / PSU. It seems video playback adds 0.2 amp extra power usage.

However, I was satisfied with the firefox performance. It was fast (faster than rk3066 linux for sure). It launched firefox only in a few seconds.

Comment

Thank you for making this possible!

I have been using Pandaboards for my HAM radio projects (Software Defined Radio - http://walter-moore.com/rf ). Over the weekend I tried out Picuntu on a CX-919 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that ghpsdr3-alex / QtRadio compiled fine and runs on the CX-919. It's usable as-is, but with accelerated graphics it should be much smoother.

I hope to try out the CX-919 with the Softrock RXTX on 40m and the WSPR software later tonight. I have a K-R42 on it's way for more testing

The Pandaboards are double+ the cost of an RK3188 device, dual core, take up more room, and the CX-919/Picuntu experience has been more stable so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131012_130349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	430936

Comment

Hi everybody,

Thanks you all for this amazing project. I've got PicUntu inside my RK3188 and everything works great. There is just a problem, Chromium goes really bad, is it just me or is it normal?

Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Robby View Post
                            Hi everybody,

Thanks you all for this amazing project. I've got PicUntu inside my RK3188 and everything works great. There is just a problem, Chromium goes really bad, is it just me or is it normal?

Thank you very much
                            Chromium
                            OFF Use hardware acceleration when available.
                            like becoming less

and riskily
                            Code:
                            e2fsck -f -y /dev/mtdblock2
                            mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock2
                            Last edited by vmkogeretla; 10-14-2013, 23:25.

Comment

RK3188-RTL8188eu-nand-kernel

And here is the kernel....
                              First Unzip it
                              Just erase the older kernel and flash this one with rkflash tool 1.37 , you are good to go...

Many thanks you are great, the kernel works with 8188eu wifi perfect.

flycast mk809iii

Comment

Originally posted by vmkogeretla View Post
                                Chromium
                                OFF Use hardware acceleration when available.
                                like becoming less

and riskily
                                Code:
                                e2fsck -f -y /dev/mtdblock2
                                mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock2
                                Thanks, I'll try it as soon as possible.

The performance problems in Chromium are accompanied with rendering problems. This is an example and I've the same problem in VLC, so I guess it's a problem with Mali.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome-example.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	430938

And here is the kernel....
                                First Unzip it
                                Just erase the older kernel and flash this one with rkflash tool 1.37 , you are good to go...
                                Thank you very much, now my device can have WiFi ^^
                                Now I have a question about how drivers works with this SoC. Few months ago I was playing with a Hackberry. Every driver that you wants to use must be added in /etc/modules or the system will ignore it. So I tried to add a line with the 8188eu in many ways but it never works (8188eu, rtl8188, rtl8188eu). And this is annoying cause there are a 8188eu.ko file in /lib/modules. My question is: if we want the system to read a .ko file, what should we do? Only modify /etc/modules? Execute after a command? Anything cause .ko are read automatically?

I have an unnamed device, so I can't find any specs of it. Anything, 0 names, 0 brands. I'm trying to get the device info with the lshw command but it returns an error: Bus error. I don't know how the kernel is compiled but this could be the reason: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-aarch64/+bug/1204913

Originally posted by aloksinha2001 View Post
                                2. XBMC will not work, effectively, till we resolve the hardware acceleration issue - this is some time away.
                                Finally I want to thank Alok and all the people who are helping run Picuntu. Great job!
                                What do you need to run the hardware graphics acceleration? How can we help? Is unique functionality of the proprietary drivers or it can be obtained by the open-source way?

Thank you!
                                Regards!
                                Last edited by Robby; 10-15-2013, 01:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X