Android 9 for Amlogic S912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android 9 for Amlogic S912

Recently S912 v boxes are released with Android 9 OS, something that previously was said to never happen, because Amlogic wouldn't release a Android 9 SDK for the S912.

So what has happened, is this a full fledged version with a SDK released by Amlogic, or a modified version created by the Chinese?

Are there any reviews yet about performance and/or bugs?

I'm particularly interested to know how it performs on the Mecool M8S Max, and if it is possible to flash a 7.1 ROM on case performance is not as expected.

Where did you see Andriod 9 on a S912 ??? I have looked and still haven't found any production models available.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
      Where did you see Andriod 9 on a S912 ??? I have looked and still haven't found any production models available.
      I received a batch of Mecool M8S Max yesterday and on the box it says OS Android 9.0

I have to admit that I haven't had time to connect, but will do today.

Since your comment indicates that there is little chance of any hands on reviews yet, my main question is, can I flash a Android 7,1 ROM to the device if Android 9 disappoints?

Comment

I suspect that the device label is just incorrect, and you most likely have all Android 7.1.2 firmwares in those new devices. But, yes if the hardware is exactly the same as the Mecool M8S Max that came with Nougat originally you should have no problem installing Nougat if it did get upgraded to PIE.

Comment

I suspect that the device label is just incorrect, and you most likely have all Android 7.1.2 firmwares in those new devices. But, yes if the hardware is exactly the same as the Mecool M8S Max that came with Nougat originally you should have no problem installing Nougat if it did get upgraded to PIE.
          I quickly connected one, and no it isn't mislabled

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_093209.jpg
Views:	4850
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	792993

Comment

LOL

You must have fake Mecool devices, the seller/vendor or manufacture did a Build.Prop cheat and renamed the device to say Android 9.

If you actually had Android 9 made from a legitimate Amlogic source coded SDK your device would have a Linux
            4.9.xxx kernel and not a 3.14.29 kernel build.

Also note the build number which has NHG47L which is Google code for a Nougat Android 7.1.x build.

Load a root file manager like ES File Explorer and check the version number of the system apks and see if the framework is indeed 7.0 or 7.1.1 or 7.1.2.

Comment

LOL

You must have fake Mecool devices, the seller/vendor or manufacture did a Build.Prop cheat and renamed the device to say Android 9.

If you actually had Android 9 made from a legitimate Amlogic source coded SDK your device would have a Linux
              4.9.xxx kernel and not a 3.14.29 kernel build.

Also note the build number which has NHG47L which is Google code for a Nougat Android 7.1.x build.

Load a root file manager like ES File Explorer and check the version number of the system apks and see if the framework is indeed 7.0 or 7.1.1 or 7.1.2.
              My boxes are purchased directly from Videostrong, who I doubt makes copy of their own product.

Please explain more detailed how I check the framework of system apks, as I have root explorer installed

Comment

You might be right, in the build properties it says SDK 25.

If there is another way to check the framework let me know.

So why would a company like Videostrong label their OS as v9 when it's actually V7.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post
                  You might be right, in the build properties it says SDK 25.
                  Well that answers it, it is Nougat.

If there is another way to check the framework let me know.
                  The stock system apps that don't get play store updates will display a version number after you click on them in file managers like ESfile or TotalCommander, and so if the apk was compiled for a SDK of Nougat the version number will be 7.0 or 7.1.1 or 7.1.2

So why would a company like Videostrong label their OS as v9 when it's actually V7.1?
                  If they are directly from Videostrong, then the software engineer is not clearing the data/cache in his/her build environment and either data got migrated over from previous builds made on same computer or they are complete idiots.

Comment

The stock system apps that don't get play store updates will display a version number after you click on them in file managers like ESfile or TotalCommander, and so if the apk was compiled for a SDK of Nougat the version number will be 7.0 or 7.1.1 or 7.1.2

Please name such a stock system apk and in which location to find it

Comment

Please name such a stock system apk and in which location to find it
                      Using ES-File-Explorer,
                      when you first open app click the APP tab,
                      change the sorting from "User Apps" to "System Apps" then locate Android System and click on it,
                      the package name is just android - this is your framework,
                      the version number for original first release Nougat will be 7.0(24) - the (24) is the SDK/API designation of the software

hope that helps,

P.S.
                      when I was talking about system apks that dont update, i was referencing apks like: Contacts Storage, Calendar Storage, Google Backup, Media Storage, etc.

Comment

Using ES-File-Explorer,
                        when you first open app click the APP tab,
                        change the sorting from "User Apps" to "System Apps" then locate Android System and click on it,
                        the package name is just android - this is your framework,
                        the version number for original first release Nougat will be 7.0(24) - the (24) is the SDK/API designation of the software

hope that helps,

P.S.
                        when I was talking about system apks that dont update, i was referencing apks like: Contacts Storage, Calendar Storage, Google Backup, Media Storage, etc.
                        I can't open them but these are the properties. Hope these are the files you had in mind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_122053.jpg
Views:	4255
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	793007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_121439.jpg
Views:	4190
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	793008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_115954.jpg
Views:	4110
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	793009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_120108.jpg
Views:	4079
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	793010Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_120023.jpg
Views:	4074
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	793011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_120052.jpg
Views:	4108
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	793012

Comment

That is fake boxes or someone did crap in factory or like rick said some engineer did crap... That is android 7.1..., they just grab the tvsettings from android9 and stick it in android 7.1 not that hard to do actually!
                          Actually i just did a 9 build for s912 and im facing lots of issues, must are fixed already except the bigger one that is the framebuffer issue, extremely hard to fix if ever fixable!

Comment

Originally posted by superceleron View Post
                            That is fake boxes or someone did crap in factory or like rick said some engineer did crap... That is android 7.1..., they just grab the tvsettings from android9 and stick it in android 7.1 not that hard to do actually!
                            Actually i just did a 9 build for s912 and im facing lots of issues, must are fixed already except the bigger one that is the framebuffer issue, extremely hard to fix if ever fixable!
                            Like I said, buy them from videostrong directly, and as far as I know they are the original manufacturer.

So is there actually a S912 box on the market that comes with Android 9 from factory?

Comment

Like I said, buy them from videostrong directly, and as far as I know they are the original manufacturer.

So is there actually a S912 box on the market that comes with Android 9 from factory?
                              Nop theirs not!

Comment

Working...
                              X