Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified Stock Based ROMs for Amlogic Nextbooks (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
    You might be able to fix that bad microSD card by reformatting it on it on a PC... however, problems like you experienced are usually an early sign of a microSD card suffering hardware failure...

If your WIFI won't turn on, you probably flashed the wrong ROM version... try the other one.

ShaunMT
    flashed with ROM: SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-082313-8188eu_wifi.zip
    and wifi popped right on... so with this ROM the nextbook is rooted? what other options do i have now?

thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by toomuch7 View Post
      flashed with ROM: SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-082313-8188eu_wifi.zip
      and wifi popped right on... so with this ROM the nextbook is rooted? what other options do i have now?

thanks...
      Yes, the ROM is pre-rooted.

You also have full ADB access and init.d support.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Thank You

Yes, the ROM is pre-rooted.

You also have full ADB access and init.d support.

ShaunMT

First than anything thank you for your time and help, sometimes people forget how much time and work this takes and some people even complains and its ridiculous they forget that without people like you we would be stuck forever with a horrible lifeless device, anyways.
        Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by yagami666 View Post
          First than anything thank you for your time and help, sometimes people forget how much time and work this takes and some people even complains and its ridiculous they forget that without people like you we would be stuck forever with a horrible lifeless device, anyways.
          Thank You
          Thanks!

Kind words and the occasional donation help keep ROM developers motivated.

Keep an eye on the forums. I haven't abandoned these older Amlogic based Nextbooks yet.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Sure thing

Thanks!

Kind words and the occasional donation help keep ROM developers motivated.

Keep an eye on the forums. I haven't abandoned these older Amlogic based Nextbooks yet.

ShaunMT

WE'll keep and eye on the forum for sure.

""I haven't abandoned these older Amlogic based Nextbooks yet""

We hope not, I will patiently wait for the Next8p12 (M805MC) for now having it Root and Gapps intalled is more than enought thanks again.

Comment

fdisk.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127) plus other issues

I don't have a Next7P12-8G to test on, but on all of my other Amlogic based Nextbooks, I find it is best to wipe 2 or three times after flashing and before rebooting. I don't think they use very high quality NAND memory chips in these.

I haven't experienced these problems, but these sound like they could be caused by internal memory corruption.

Sorry, I don't have any further suggestions. I suspect your internal memory is failing...

ShaunMT
              Shaun -

Thanks for reponse previously. I have tried many more times with this, again with similar results. This is 3rd replacement NextBook I have had (having returned the other two under warranty).

I take your point about internal memory failing, but before I try returning this one as well, is there a possibility that the formatting of Internal storage, or the partitioning might need to be slightly different for this model ? Eg I notice that my serial number is YFxxxxx, not YFGxxxxx, as others have posted.

I suspect something like this because the TWRP factory reset and the stock factory reset do slightly different things on this tablet (eg stock factory reset fixes ubifs mount issues, but the TWRP factory reset does not).

Also, I have noticed that some dalvik cache entires get wiped occasionally, causing those apps to become unusable. I am thinking that this could be something overwriting memory in use for something else. Stock factory reset, followed by TWRP wipes, and install, followed by stock factory reset again - fixes this and results in a good startup. But after a while, the similar failures start to occur - sometimes with the same apps, sometimes with others.

I have found by trial and error that the most successful install sequence is:
              1. TWRP wipe (internal storage or system, plus factory reset)
              2. If the wipe failes, then do a stock factory reset, then redo step 1
              3. TWRP install
              4. TWRP Wipe dalvik chache
              5. TWRP factory reset
              6. Stock factory reset. Needs to be done before normal startup - so you have to do a power off reset during the freaktab logo. This step is not optional, and must be done using the stock recovery menu.
              7. TWRP factory reset (again)
              8. TWRP Wipe dalvik cache (again)
              9. Reboot system

Each time, the new clean install seems to work perfectly, but after a few hours of usage and/or app installs, a problem of some sort develops. Usually one of:
              a. apps stopping after some period of usage, then they become like b:
              b. apps stopping immediately after starting (cache error ?)
              c. ubifs mount error of data
              d. ubifs mount error of system, which may be why sometimes when is use, it results in e:
              e. it will bring up the boot logo without warning, and then requires a power off reset.

Attempting to wipe the media partition always results in fdisk.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127) - might this also point to partition issues ?

Is there any file or setting that I could check to see what has been assumed for this model for (for example) partition sizes, to compare against what has been assumed for your rom ?

I ran the 'Hardware Info' app, which reported: System RAM 923 MB, JVM Max Memory 40 MB, Internal Storage 371 MB, External Storage 6460 MB. (FYI it also reported: Model Next7P12-8G, Manufacturer YIFANG, Device M727MC, Product M727MC, Brand Nextbook, Android Version 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), API Level 15, Build ID IMM76I, Fingerprint Nextbook/M727MC/M727MC:4.0.4/IMM76I/v005:user/release-keys)

I am happy to do testing or trail and error if required.

I do appreciate your help, because I am in Australia, and Nextbook only provide support for USA and Canada, so returns are a real pain...

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for reponse previously. I have tried many more times with this, again with similar results. This is 3rd replacement NextBook I have had (having returned the other two under warranty).

I take your point about internal memory failing, but before I try returning this one as well, is there a possibility that the formatting of Internal storage, or the partitioning might need to be slightly different for this model ? Eg I notice that my serial number is YFxxxxx, not YFGxxxxx, as others have posted.
                The serial numbers don't mean much to me... the letters are short for Yifang (The parent company and manufacturing division of Nextbook) the next 4 numbers are the month and year of production... I have no idea what the remaining numbers indicate...

The partition mapping and file systems are hard coded in the kernel. There is no way to check them without the source code, but if you are using one of my ROMs, the boot image and TWRP have the same kernel as the stock recovery, so the partition mapping will match.

TWRP would use different code for wiping/reformatting the UBIFs partitions, so there very well could be differences in the results between TWRP and stock recovery.

One problem I'm aware of is that with the UBIFS partitions hard coded in the kernel, there is no way to remap them to avoid bad memory blocks during a wipe/reformat regardless of which recovery you use. I believe this, combined with cheap memory chips is why these models suffer so much file corruption and frequently require wiping.

Is there any file or setting that I could check to see what has been assumed for this model for (for example) partition sizes, to compare against what has been assumed for your rom ?

I ran the 'Hardware Info' app, which reported: System RAM 923 MB, JVM Max Memory 40 MB, Internal Storage 371 MB, External Storage 6460 MB. (FYI it also reported: Model Next7P12-8G, Manufacturer YIFANG, Device M727MC, Product M727MC, Brand Nextbook, Android Version 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), API Level 15, Build ID IMM76I, Fingerprint Nextbook/M727MC/M727MC:4.0.4/IMM76I/v005:user/release-keys)
                There are only two ways to check for compatibility....

1. Examine the stock source code (which we don't have).

2. Examine the stock build.prop file... but if you have installed one of my ROMs, it replaced your original build.prop file... Nextbook usually changes the board name in the build.prop file when they change internal hardware, this is why my instructions indicate to examine the build.prop before installing.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

NX007HD8G

ShaunMT,

Thank you for the work that you have put in already! I have successfully downloaded and used the TWRP to backup my son's tablet. I am now looking to de-bloat :-)

Are you planning on having one released for the NX7HD8G? Or is one released and I just missed it?

Info from build.prop:

ro.build.product=NXM7000NBD_WMN

Comment

Originally posted by mrcatj View Post
                    ShaunMT,

Thank you for the work that you have put in already! I have successfully downloaded and used the TWRP to backup my son's tablet. I am now looking to de-bloat :-)

Are you planning on having one released for the NX7HD8G? Or is one released and I just missed it?

Info from build.prop:

ro.build.product=NXM7000NBD_WMN
                    It's on my to do list, but I don't know when I will get to it...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Another variant of NEXT7P12_8G?

Hi ShaunMT,

I have a NEXT7P12_8G which shows different board and model strings in build.prop compared to the modified ROMs you currently provide. Serial starts with YF0913 (same as that posted by bncbnc... maybe this can help there). Are you interested in the rom?

# begin build properties

# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh

ro.build.id=JRO03C

ro.ota.version.id=V2.0.3.IML74K.user.root.20130816

ro.build.display.id=V2.0.3.IML74K.user.root.201308 16

ro.build.version.incremental=eng.root.20130816.151 050

ro.build.version.sdk=16

ro.build.version.codename=JellyBean

ro.build.version.release=4.1.1

ro.build.date=Fri Aug 16 15:11:54 CST 2013

ro.build.date.utc=1377243707

ro.product.board=POM727MC_8G_NTC100

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a

ro.vendor.name=YFMID

ro.product.model=POM727MC_8G

ro.product.brand=MID

ro.product.name=POM727MC_8G_NTC100

ro.product.device=POM727MC_8G_NTC100

ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

ro.product.manufacturer=YIFANG

ro.board.platform=meson3

ro.build.product=POM727MC_8G_NTC100

# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint

ro.build.description=POM727MC_8G_NTC100-user 4.1.1 JRO03C eng.root.20130816.151050 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=MID/POM727MC_8G_NTC100/POM727MC_8G_NTC100:4.1.1/JRO03C/eng.root.20130823.153447:user/release-keys

ro.yifang.devicename=NEXT7P12-8G

Comment

Originally posted by slapcheek View Post
                        Hi ShaunMT,

I have a NEXT7P12_8G which shows different board and model strings in build.prop compared to the modified ROMs you currently provide. Serial starts with YF0913 (same as that posted by bncbnc... maybe this can help there). Are you interested in the rom?
                        If you can upload a full rom dump for me, I'll see what I can do with it.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Good morning!
                          I have a stock Rom of android, 4.1 NEXT7D12R would you like me to do the upload?

Comment

Originally posted by luizjkk View Post
                            Good morning!
                            I have a stock Rom of android, 4.1 NEXT7D12R would you like me to do the upload?
                            I think I have that one... it's the Next7D12R-POM757ND, correct?
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I think I have that one... it's the Next7D12R-POM757ND, correct?
                              Yes, and this model
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Shaun -
                                Reagarding my post of April and October 2014, I finally got a replacement tablet NEXT7P12-8G (serial FY091311841). Been using it for a couple of months on the stock ROM. Have now reached a point (as per previous tablets) where it is stuck on the flashing circle on powerup, and no amout of stock factory reset / cache clear will get it to start.
                                Noting your comments from before, I have avoided overwriting the ROM, and have attached a copy of the stock build.prop (via booting up on TWRP), and it shows as per the attached files. Would SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip be compatible with this ?

P.S. I am not sure if my formatted version of the build.prop is correct - I may not have got all of the line breaks right.
                                Thanks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X