Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified Stock Based ROMs for Amlogic Nextbooks (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADT log cat shows - exec '/system/bin/sh' failed no such file or directory (2)
    That would be a problem... but reflashing should fix it.

I can get it to boot to modded 3e recovery. Just not the TWRP. I can;t find the SD card I used to flash the modded rom last time. It took me hours to figure out how to get TWRP to work last time, and I've forgotten what I did.
    TWRP should boot if you put the uImage_recovery file on an external SD card, then hold volume- while turning the tablet on.

Edit. I just got a new card up and running. Flashing right now.
    Sounds like you got it figured out.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

need help

Okay so I bricked my next book nx785 quad core a friend helped me get it usable again with an update that was seemingly stock KitKat but now I have an 8 above the dead droid logo in recovery screen which is obviously suspicious Ive triedjeloybean restore kits and just about every trick I could manage to no avail lol I just found your thread yesterday for the modded stock KitKat ROM and tried to update it and I keep getting E:signature verification failed I can't return to stock with factory reset so I'm really just outmatched & need the wisdom of a developer any help would be muchappreciated. Also cant I just restore with a stock recovery IMG ? I don't have one and can't find one anywhere next book website doesn't offer the stock ROM and the douchebag technical support keeps telling me how to hard reset it and won't just give me the recovery IMG or stock ROM they are truly not of any support and insult my intelligence

Comment

Originally posted by ttrax321 View Post
        Okay so I bricked my next book nx785 quad core a friend helped me get it usable again with an update that was seemingly stock KitKat but now I have an 8 above the dead droid logo in recovery screen which is obviously suspicious Ive triedjeloybean restore kits and just about every trick I could manage to no avail lol I just found your thread yesterday for the modded stock KitKat ROM and tried to update it and I keep getting E:signature verification failed I can't return to stock with factory reset so I'm really just outmatched & need the wisdom of a developer any help would be muchappreciated. Also cant I just restore with a stock recovery IMG ? I don't have one and can't find one anywhere next book website doesn't offer the stock ROM and the douchebag technical support keeps telling me how to hard reset it and won't just give me the recovery IMG or stock ROM they are truly not of any support and insult my intelligence
        If you have the correct stock recovery, there is an option for rkimage update from external SD card.

You can use that option to install the stock ROM (available on the Nextbook download page) or my modified version (based on the stock ROM). There is no signature verification for an rkimage update.img file.

If you're getting a signature verification error, you are installing the wrong type of ROM.

If you don't have an option for rkimage update in your current recovery, then it is the wrong recovery for your tablet and you'll have to flash your tablet using one of the rkimage PC tools. (I can't help with this, as there are several versions of rkimage tools available and I haven't used them. You should be able to find instructions in some of the Freaktab forums here or elsewhere online.)

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          If you have the correct stock recovery, there is an option for rkimage update from external SD card.

You can use that option to install the stock ROM (available on the Nextbook download page) or my modified version (based on the stock ROM). There is no signature verification for an rkimage update.img file.

If you're getting a signature verification error, you are installing the wrong type of ROM.

If you don't have an option for rkimage update in your current recovery, then it is the wrong recovery for your tablet and you'll have to flash your tablet using one of the rkimage PC tools. (I can't help with this, as there are several versions of rkimage tools available and I haven't used them. You should be able to find instructions in some of the Freaktab forums here or elsewhere online.)

ShaunMT

Thanks I finally Figured it out I had to fix partition to get the stock KitKat update for some reason and after that I used your custom update IMG with no problems two questions though ... Can I save apps to the nand ? And build prop. Enable GPS=true. Can I just change that to false or is it not that simple ?

Comment

Thanks I finally Figured it out I had to fix partition to get the stock KitKat update for some reason and after that I used your custom update IMG with no problems
            Cool!

two questions though ... Can I save apps to the nand ?
            YES! (Nand refers to your internal memory chip... everything that is not on an external SD card is in a partion of your Nand memory chip.)

I'm guessing you meant to ask one of these questions instead:

Q: Can I move apps to the internal SD card partion (a Nand partition).
            A: Maybe... It depends on each App and how App developer programmed it.

Q: Can I move apps to an external SD card?
            A: Android only supports apps on the Primary SD card. (In our case this is the internal one.) It might be possible to use an app or script to swap the internal and external SD card mount points, but I haven't tried to do so yet.

Q: Can I increase the size of the /Data partition (part of Nand) where most Apps reside?
            A: No... The partition map, partition sizes, and filesystems are hard coded in the kernel.

And build prop. Enable GPS=true. Can I just change that to false or is it not that simple ?
            Yes you can, although it really shouldn't matter. This tablet doesn't have internal GPS. I don't know if it supports external GPS dongles or not.

ShaunMT
            Last edited by shaunmt; 09-15-2014, 04:11.
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Picked one of these up off **** and rooted it, first try, using the files and instructions outlined here. Thanks for all of your hard work in "freeing up" these tablets.

Just a quick question: any word on (or chance of) any effort to upgrade these to 4.3? Just curious.

Again, your work is much appreciated!

Comment

Picked one of these up off **** and rooted it, first try, using the files and instructions outlined here. Thanks for all of your hard work in "freeing up" these tablets.

Just a quick question: any word on (or chance of) any effort to upgrade these to 4.3? Just curious.

You didn't indicate which model you picked up... but the answer is probably not. Nextbook rarely provides any aftermarket support. (None of their Amlogic models have ever received any official updates.)

The only hope we have is for someone to build a working version of a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod, Paranoid Android, PACMAN or OmniROM, but it's difficult because we don't have device specific source code and these models use an uncommon filesystem. I was working on it, but got frustrated and moved on to other projects. I may return to it again at some point in the future.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

You didn't indicate which model you picked up... but the answer is probably not. Nextbook rarely provides any aftermarket support. (None of their Amlogic models have ever received any official updates.)

The only hope we have is for someone to build a working version of a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod, Paranoid Android, PACMAN or OmniROM, but it's difficult because we don't have device specific source code and these models use an uncommon filesystem. I was working on it, but got frustrated and moved on to other projects. I may return to it again at some point in the future.

ShaunMT
                  Doh! I grabbed a NX008HD8G, one of the older models, refurbished (a new digitizer, judging by the glue marks around the frame. Got it cheap, though). It was an upgrade from my original Premium 7 running Kustom Ginger.

I appreciate your answer and explanation. I only asked because of the existence of Kustom Kream for the Premium 7. Nextbook never released an ICS rom for the Premium 7 (although the manufacturer, whose name slips my mind at the moment, might have), and
                  kibmcz (XDA dev forums) put one together. Of course, that's also a completely different chipset as well. Having an EXT4 file system (instead of cramFS) was also nice.

ICS on the Premium 7 isn't exactly a pleasant experience, but the fact that it is able to run on that tablet at all, due to kibmcz's work, is very impressive.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by swamprock View Post
                    Doh! I grabbed a NX008HD8G, one of the older models, refurbished (a new digitizer, judging by the glue marks around the frame. Got it cheap, though). It was an upgrade from my original Premium 7 running Kustom Ginger.

I appreciate your answer and explanation. I only asked because of the existence of Kustom Kream for the Premium 7. Nextbook never released an ICS rom for the Premium 7 (although the manufacturer, whose name slips my mind at the moment, might have), and
                    kibmcz (XDA dev forums) put one together. Of course, that's also a completely different chipset as well. Having an EXT4 file system (instead of cramFS) was also nice.

ICS on the Premium 7 isn't exactly a pleasant experience, but the fact that it is able to run on that tablet at all, due to kibmcz's work, is very impressive.

Thanks again!
                    There is thread around here somewhere where some guys were working on porting CM from another tablet. Someone had ported one of Christian Troy's Ainol CM builds to a Prestigio model that was nearly identical to the Next8HD8G and they were trying to port it again to the Next8HD8G. It runs well, but I don't think any of the attempts were perfect. Either problems with screen orientation, rotation, camera or wifi.

I was working on building CM from source, but never got all of the hardware working correctly. I might try again eventually...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

fdisk.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127) plus other issues

Shaun -

I am also getting this error now after flashing SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip
                      I had to try many times to get it to install, with several mount errors, and had to wipe multiple times (both from the recovery boot, as well as TWRP). After a combination of wipes from both, and then an install, then more wipes, it got running.

It also has repeated issues, eg: Browser will not install: does not appear in the app list, and when I try to install via root explorer (system/apps) it gives the non-useful message: 'application not installed'.

There are repeated fails as well, eg immediately after a factory reset, just after the startup wizard shows, the message is given: 'Unfortunately, Google+ has stopped'. Same thing sometimes happens with 'Google Play Movies and TV'. More recently, the email app closes without message when openeing any email.

I have also had the boot image (flashing circles) occasionally stay on indefinitely after flashing. Fixed by wiping everything multiple times and re-flashing.

I have also had messages indicating factory_update_param.aml is missing, although I can't remember how to repeatedly produce that error.

Currently re-flashing about once a day, and sometimes it seems to work fine (including power off and on) for 6 or 8 hours, then, at the next power off and power on, will freeze again.

Unfortunately, being a noobie at the time, I didn't save the supplied rom, and it got overridden during a subsequent flash.

Do you have any suggestions please ?

I have NEXT7P12-8G
                      Serial YF091311437
                      'About tablet' shows model Next7P12-8G, Android v 4.0.4 kernel 2.6.34 amlogic@droid #458 Build IMM761.v005

BTW: I really like the android boot logo :-)
                      Thanks.

(also posted on 'Next7P12 amlogic break')

Comment

Shaun -

I am also getting this error now after flashing SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip
                        I had to try many times to get it to install, with several mount errors, and had to wipe multiple times (both from the recovery boot, as well as TWRP). After a combination of wipes from both, and then an install, then more wipes, it got running.
                        I don't have a Next7P12-8G to test on, but on all of my other Amlogic based Nextbooks, I find it is best to wipe 2 or three times after flashing and before rebooting. I don't think they use very high quality NAND memory chips in these.

It also has repeated issues, eg: Browser will not install: does not appear in the app list, and when I try to install via root explorer (system/apps) it gives the non-useful message: 'application not installed'.

There are repeated fails as well, eg immediately after a factory reset, just after the startup wizard shows, the message is given: 'Unfortunately, Google+ has stopped'. Same thing sometimes happens with 'Google Play Movies and TV'. More recently, the email app closes without message when openeing any email.

I have also had the boot image (flashing circles) occasionally stay on indefinitely after flashing. Fixed by wiping everything multiple times and re-flashing.
                        I haven't experienced these problems, but these sound like they could be caused by internal memory corruption.

I have also had messages indicating factory_update_param.aml is missing, although I can't remember how to repeatedly produce that error.
                        This is perfectly normal. factory_updsate_param.aml is looked for each time you start in recovery mode. It is used to automate installations. When it is found, the instructions in it are followed instead of displaying the recovery menu. When it is not found, the message is displayed and then you are taken to the recovery menu.

Currently re-flashing about once a day, and sometimes it seems to work fine (including power off and on) for 6 or 8 hours, then, at the next power off and power on, will freeze again.

Unfortunately, being a noobie at the time, I didn't save the supplied rom, and it got overridden during a subsequent flash.

Do you have any suggestions please ?
                        Sorry, I don't have any further suggestions. I suspect your internal memory is failing...

I have NEXT7P12-8G
                        Serial YF091311437
                        'About tablet' shows model Next7P12-8G, Android v 4.0.4 kernel 2.6.34 amlogic@droid #458 Build IMM761.v005

BTW: I really like the android boot logo :-)
                        Thanks.

(also posted on 'Next7P12 amlogic break')
                        I'm glad you like the logo.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ShaunMT - Next7P128G serial: YFG081300xxxx

Next7P128G serial: YFG081300xxxx

can't get past signature verification...

i have wiped data/factory reset and wipe cache partition multiple times...when i do apply update from sdcard i can see the ROMs...

i have:
                          Kyser_Root_signed.zip
                          Next7p12-8G_modded_3e_recovery.zip
                          Rooted_Next7-012-8g Stock rom signed.zip
                          SMT-Next7P12-8G-nxm727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip
                          SMT_TWRP_Next7p12-8G-NXM727MC_WM.zip
                          showing on the sd card...
                          i also copied uImage_recovery onto sd card in /home area

any other sugguestions??? it boots and just keeps spinning... i can't get it to verify signature...

thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by toomuch7 View Post
                            Next7P128G serial: YFG081300xxxx

can't get past signature verification...

i have wiped data/factory reset and wipe cache partition multiple times...when i do apply update from sdcard i can see the ROMs...

i have:
                            Kyser_Root_signed.zip
                            Next7p12-8G_modded_3e_recovery.zip
                            Rooted_Next7-012-8g Stock rom signed.zip
                            SMT-Next7P12-8G-nxm727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip
                            SMT_TWRP_Next7p12-8G-NXM727MC_WM.zip
                            showing on the sd card...
                            i also copied uImage_recovery onto sd card in /home area

any other sugguestions??? it boots and just keeps spinning... i can't get it to verify signature...

thanks...
                            You must be in stock recovery... stock recovery will only install official update packages signed with Nextbook's private signature verification key.

TWRP, by default, skips the signature verification process.

The TWRP uImage_recovery file needs to be placed in the very top level "/" of an external SD card. Then you need to boot into recovery mode by holding the volume key while pressing the power key.

The tablet will then automatically launch the TWRP from the external SD card instead of the internal stock recovery.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

You must be in stock recovery... stock recovery will only install official update packages signed with Nextbook's private signature verification key.

TWRP, by default, skips the signature verification process.

The TWRP uImage_recovery file needs to be placed in the very top level "/" of an external SD card. Then you need to boot into recovery mode by holding the volume key while pressing the power key.

The tablet will then automatically launch the TWRP from the external SD card instead of the internal stock recovery.

ShaunMT
                              looks like i had a bad microSD.... used a 4gb extra i had and it booted immediately to TWRP... i am flashing SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip as i type... flash showed successful now rebooting... got in... having trouble with WiFi turning on... maybe need to flash with other ROM?

thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by toomuch7 View Post
                                looks like i had a bad microSD.... used a 4gb extra i had and it booted immediately to TWRP... i am flashing SMT-Next7P12-8G-NXM727MC_WM-102312-8192cu_wifi.zip as i type... flash showed successful now rebooting... got in... having trouble with WiFi turning on... maybe need to flash with other ROM?

thanks again...
                                You might be able to fix that bad microSD card by reformatting it on it on a PC... however, problems like you experienced are usually an early sign of a microSD card suffering hardware failure...

If your WIFI won't turn on, you probably flashed the wrong ROM version... try the other one.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X