This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Dump The Stock ROM from an Amlogic Based Nextbook Tablet

The easiest way to get the system partition is to use Online Nandroid Backup from the play store to create a backup. It grabs some of the other partitions as well, but not all of them.

Here is a link to it on the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup&hl=en

When you first launch Online Nandroid Backup, you need to go to settings and do two things:

1. Install onandroid script
    2. install mkyaffs2image

You also need to change the default backup location to your external SD card and select save Yaffs2 as Tar.

Now you can do a simple backup with the default settings.

The only way to get all of the other partitions is to dd them in a terminal app. (You can't just DD system too because it is ubifs.)

I like this terminal app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

Here is how to use dd to dump partitions:

Open your terminal app.

Type the following:

Code:

cat proc/mtd

You should get output something like this:

Code:

dev:     size     erasesize     name 
    mtd0: 00800000 00200000 "bootloader" 
    mtd1: 00800000 00200000 "logo" 
    mtd2: 00800000 00200000 "aml_logo" 
    mtd3: 00800000 00200000 "recovery" 
    mtd4: 00800000 00200000 "boot" 
    mtd5: 20000000 00200000 "system" 
    mtd6: 00800000 00200000 "cache" 
    mtd7: 40000000 00200000 "userdata" 
    mtd8: 18c00000 00200000 "NFTL_Part"
    You need bootloader, logo, aml_logo, recovery, boot, and system for a full ROM.

Cache is user settings. Userdata is downloaded apps. System, cache and userdata can't be backed up properly using dd. (Use Online Nandroid Backup from the play store.)

Don't mess with NFTL_Part!

Output file names should be as follows:

"bootloader" = bootloader.img
    "logo" = logo.img
    "aml_logo" = aml_logo.img
    "recovery" = recovery.img
    "boot" = boot.img

So your command lines for dumping should be in this format:

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd# of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/ouputfilename

Check your mtd#'s on your device using cat proc/mtd and fill in the mtd#'s and output file #'s and enter the dd commands one line at a time.

You'll need root access to do this, so first type:

Code:
    su
    If your cat proc/mtd output matches my device, then your lines would be:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/bootloader.img 
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd1 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/logo.img 
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/aml_logo.img 
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd3 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/recovery.img 
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd4 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/boot.img
    When finished, you need to type "exit" twice to exit your shell terminal.

When done, copy the files and folders you dumped off your external sd card, zip them all up together in a single zip file, upload them and let me know where I can download them.

ShaunMT
    Last edited by shaunmt; 10-30-2013, 04:08. Reason: Updated Instructions
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

nice infio
    will come in handy for sure
    txahks for sharing
    Everything is possible if we work together!
    ApkFreak

Comment

Very good. It will come in handy. The beginning of a kitchen, when we don't post between.

JDfense

Comment

online nan back up

i tryed the online nan back up set to ext sd card then it run then un known location so dont think it worked help think i for got to do a step
        Last edited by roadkill; 01-21-2014, 01:52. Reason: got it had to mes with sd settings

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
          i tryed the online nan back up set to ext sd card then it run then un known location so dont think it worked help think i for got to do a step
          Sounds like you did it right the first time. You should find a folder with the backup in it. I can't remember what the default folder names are.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

[thanks for the reply found the folder now im going to mes with the boot pics have a dev friend who has an program so can make the pic fit the screen right and make annimation so when i get it done i share it here

Comment

Hi Shaun,

I have an Amlogic based tablet which I believe almost the same as Nextbook tablet.
              The type is PTM805ND.

it is dual core Amlogic 8726 MX. ICS 4.0.4 , 8" wifi only tablet.

Here's the link to get all the dumps that you mentioned in the first post.

I hope this can be helpful to you, especially to build a custom rom based on it

I'm looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by veenone View Post
                Hi Shaun,

I have an Amlogic based tablet which I believe almost the same as Nextbook tablet.
                The type is PTM805ND.

it is dual core Amlogic 8726 MX. ICS 4.0.4 , 8" wifi only tablet.

Here's the link to get all the dumps that you mentioned in the first post.

I hope this can be helpful to you, especially to build a custom rom based on it

I'm looking forward to it
                This looks like a clone of the Nextbook Next8P12 (amlogic version)... it's identified as an M805NC inthe build.prop. Anything I make for it will probably work on your tab also.
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the information
                  So assumed that this is the clone of Next8P12, is there a possibility to have a Jellybean or kitkat port for it?

And another thing, how can I build a flashable rom from the current dump I have? In case I want to revert to the default os?

The problem is that the vendor of this tablet in my country doesn't share anything so going back to default setup would require their assistance.

And also, is there any cwm flashable that compatible with this tablet?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the information
                    So assumed that this is the clone of Next8P12, is there a possibility to have a Jellybean or kitkat port for it?
                    Eventually...

And another thing, how can I build a flashable rom from the current dump I have? In case I want to revert to the default os?
                    Sorry, but this isn't simple and I just don't have time to help people with this. If you want to learn (like I did) google search for info about creating an update.zip

The problem is that the vendor of this tablet in my country doesn't share anything so going back to default setup would require their assistance.
                    That's because the vast majority of these are all made by Yifang Digital and sold by vendors in different markets, many of which are wholly owned subsidiaries of Yifang.

And also, is there any cwm flashable that compatible with this tablet?
                    Not yet, but I'm working on one...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Ok thanks for your answers Shaun

This is exciting and I'm looking forward to it

Comment

I ordered a amlogic androidbox (tronsmart s89-h), haven't received it yet. Can I use the instructions in this thread to make a backup of the stock rom of this device too?

Thanks,

Wim

Comment

Re: How To Dump The Stock ROM from an Amlogic Based Nextbook Tablet

Originally posted by WimK View Post
                          I ordered a amlogic androidbox (tronsmart s89-h), haven't received it yet. Can I use the instructions in this thread to make a backup of the stock rom of this device too?

Thanks,

Wim
                          It should be very similar.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                            very similar
                            Is this safe for a newbee?
                            And are there different versions of onandroid script and mkyaffs2image or should I just google it?
                            How to "install" these?
                            And I guess the androidbox should be rooted before starting?

Thanks,

Wim

Comment

Originally posted by WimK View Post
                              Is this safe for a newbee?
                              And are there different versions of onandroid script and mkyaffs2image or should I just google it?
                              How to "install" these?
                              And I guess the androidbox should be rooted before starting?

Thanks,

Wim
                              It's mostly safe... you can do some damage with the terminal app and dd command if you're overly careless... but you'd have to stray really far from the instructions here to damage anything...

The scripts are installed via an option in the app from the play store. That part is simple. Just download the apps from the play store (links are in the first post) and follow the instructions in the first post.

It does require root.

The only part that might differ will be the partition layout and file paths.

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                              X