CPU exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU exposed

i still believe the bad performance of the aw80 boxes is mainly a heat issue. mine never runs at full speed. as soon as i run anything on it, it gets throttled because of the heat the soc generates.

first thing to say:
    90 % of the scratches you see are not from the process of removing the heatspreader.
    what i did is putting on the heatsink and moving it around. i wanted to see if the gap that exists between the cpu-heatsink and the ram-chips is now closed. obviously a bad idea.
    scratches are suboptimal but shouldnt be a problem, thermalpaste will fill it.

the good news: the gap is almost closed, 0,5 mm left, maybe even less.

the bad news: the heatsink now touches other components. i wanted to use screws for the heatsink
    to apply more pressure. i already broke a component while trying and there is a chance that more components could break.
    if the heatsink wouldnt touch those parts, maybe the gap would be zero.
    i need to find a replacement heatsink or modify the original one.

problems i think i identified so far:
    -low quality heatsink and
    -maybe not enough pressure on it
    -ram and cpu are not at the same level
    -all is covered by one giant cheap looking thermal pad
    -thermal-glue (dry) between core and spreader

please help me to identify the broken component on the second picture so i can fix the box and prove my theory.
    it's the one in the middle with the big "B" on it.

Hi Boxx

why you don't mod a Fan,upload a Pic later,helped my UT3 to stay cool at 40°.

nice Day

gefattern

Comment

yes, i thought about it. a fan would hardly fit into the case unless i cut a hole into it. second point is that i want the box to be quiet, zero noise. if this soc works in onda tablets (which are of course passive cooled) without heat issues then i don't see why it wouldnt on a mini-pc box.

Comment

Hi Boxx

my modded Fan makes no Noice,12V Pc Fan.Look.

sorry for the bad picture.

nice Day

gefattern

Comment

I so sorry you own allwiner too.... They make good door stop too.. Or drink coaster for table.... Maybe a sdk clme some day and i look at my a80 again...
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Haha. Nice 1. lol. To be honest, I do feel for the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
              Hi Boxx

my modded Fan makes no Noice,12V Pc Fan.Look.

sorry for the bad picture.

nice Day

gefattern
              thanks for trying to help!
              nice work, this is exactly what i had in mind how it would look like.
              of course this would help a lot but i want to avoid cutting the case, best even get around using a fan at all.

thanks for participating, vielen dank!

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                I so sorry you own allwiner too.... They make good door stop too.. Or drink coaster for table.... Maybe a sdk clme some day and i look at my a80 again...
                the sdk is already there. thats why i started looking into my (broken) box again.

Comment

Hi Boxx

hope you find what you need for your Box.Are you German ? I am too.If there are more i really cant understand why nobody uses the German Freaktabpage.

nice Day

gefattern

alles gute

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
                    Hi Boxx

hope you find what you need for your Box.Are you German ? I am too.If there are more i really cant understand why nobody uses the German Freaktabpage.

nice Day

gefattern

alles gute
                    yes, i'm german too.
                    this device is almost dead, i would get no attention in the german forum.

Comment

it lives!

dont know how, dont know why.
                      i have not tried to power it on after cutting the heatspreader, why should i?
                      it was dead for month and now it magically works again.
                      the heatsink is off right now, maybe it caused a short?

Comment

now that it's working again i will continue to work on the cooling.
                        i ordered one 0,8mm thick copper shim for the soc and five 1mm copper shims for the rams and eeprom or whatever it is.
                        this way the original heatsink *should* fit perfect onto all those parts without a gap. also there is no risk in applying more pressure to the heatsink, it can not touch other components anymore.
                        i will use thermal paste instead of pads.
                        if it helps with the temps, i will eventually look into the latest sdk and *try* to compile a usable android build.

Comment

Hi Boxx

Nice to see that live came back to your Box.

gefattern

Comment

Well if Boxx is looking into it maybe something good will come of this. I should look into the thermal issues myself. Although mine runs warm it doesn't seem to get hot?

Comment

did you measure it with an app or did you just touch it?
                              it will throttle before it gets too hot.
                              even without the heatsink the soc doesn't feel hot when i directly touch it.
                              i saw pictures of other users devices that seem to run much cooler.
                              maybe it's just a problem with my box, not sure yet.

if you want to check, get a stress-test app and an app that can read out thermal sensors.

Comment

Working...
                              X