X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPL license violation

Does minix violence gpl license?

For me the answer is yes.

Most chinese device does nt comply with GPL, it's not strange in chinese manufacturers. Even there are some devs here too releasing custom kernels without sharing source, so unfortunately seems quite common.

Comment

I hacked minix's OTA server in hope to find source code, nothing found.

Comment

Originally posted by user_id View Post
        I hacked minix's OTA server in hope to find source code, nothing found.
        Minix said that they eventualy would release code to developers, so I suppose no need to hack anything xD

Comment

Originally posted by skelton View Post
          Minix said that they eventualy would release code to developers, so I suppose no need to hack anything xD
          Let's say I am not recognized develop how do I get the code then?

Comment

Originally posted by user_id View Post
            Let's say I am not recognized develop how do I get the code then?
            No idea buddy. I suppose they will release public, but I don't know.

Comment

Skelton this isn't the first time you say that so i will answer.
              The Developer's of Freaktab that release custom kernel's have explained the reasons to why not make them publicly.
              They were passed to us on the condition that we wouldn't do it. We made the decision to uphold that and offer to the community the help we could, and I think we did(do) a great job. Also i recall we asking the user's about this and they were in favor of our decision.

Now about being common, you are right, you have publish here on FT a few rom's were you are violating the GPL by not publish the source code, configs and exact steps to compile your kernel's. And no fingers your pointed at you neither you gave a reason why you didn't publish them.
              So you see, is quite common. But it shouldn't.

On topic MINIX has publish sources before so i would just wait for them. I'm sure they will.

Tapatalked
              if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
              then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
              $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Originally posted by abdul_pt View Post
                Skelton this isn't the first time you say that so i will answer.
                The Developer's of Freaktab that release custom kernel's have explained the reasons to why not make them publicly.
                They were passed to us on the condition that we wouldn't do it. We made the decision to uphold that and offer to the community the help we could, and I think we did(do) a great job. Also i recall we asking the user's about this and they were in favor of our decision.

Now about being common, you are right, you have publish here on FT a few rom's were you are violating the GPL by not publish the source code, configs and exact steps to compile your kernel's. And no fingers your pointed at you neither you gave a reason why you didn't publish them.
                So you see, is quite common. But it shouldn't.

On topic MINIX has publish sources before so i would just wait for them. I'm sure they will.

Tapatalked
                Ummm no, I am not violating anything buddy. Check my ROMS for the JXD devices that have my source included. (I thought it was, though it is now)

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

The same for my GPD devices is in my github and here:

I also was asked not to release the source, but it's here for everyone. Even a full tablet SDK if someone requires it.

So you are wrong. I am sharing everything
                Last edited by skelton; 08-20-2014, 17:48.

Comment

The last info I have is that minix will release the source (and I think also the SDK) after they had released 002 stable, but of cause only to a closed group of dev's (the SDK I can understand, because its not GPL, it is owned by amlogic...; but of cause I also know the android license agreements, but that's another story)...
                  Always the same story with Chinese manufactures (BTW: maybe they handle all these thinks so confidential, because they know that ALL Chinese manufactures like to "steal" ideas )
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                  - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                  UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                  Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                  Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                  Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I am agree with Abdul, I am sorry about can't publish the sources, because more developers involved means more contributions to the final user, and that is what everyone want, but try to understand us, if we broke our promise, we will lost the source access too and it will not help anyone.
                    I expect in near future each factory release the sources at same time that device, but I know this is not easy to got.
                    REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                    My devices:
                    Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                    MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                    Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                    Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                    Gearbest.com)
                    MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                    Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                    Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

I agree with both leolas and Abdul.
                      Sometimes we need to do it this way even if we don't like it, just for the benefit of the final user.
                      There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

If you want to buy me a beer, please use this -> https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by daemonium View Post
                        I agree with both leolas and Abdul.
                        Sometimes we need to do it this way even if we don't like it, just for the benefit of the final user.
                        I'm a little bit mixed to this... on one hand I'm really happy that the dev's here at the board have the chance to use the sources to do a good job... on other hand I'm a guy that like to learn new stuff, but without the look at this, no chance for me, so...
                        RK3288 Devices
                        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

This has been a common problem with China since I started this place!

If I showed you the "Terms and Conditions" that both RockChip and AML have when you sign up as a developer, it's totally a GPL violation! They state that NOTHING you get from them (SDK or NDK) is allowed to be made public.

So here is the deal folks as what was stated. Because FreakTab developers work in a different way than anyone before, these board/product manufacturers (Beelink/Minix, etc) are willing to share with us in the beginning, EVEN though they are at RISK of pissing off RockChip and AML by doing so! This is NOT our choice but it is our choice to "work with them" and do so that we can bring you better ROMs. We are NOT trying to propagate this issue!

Now we still stand behind the open source thing! I do believe that folks like Minix and Beelink will allow us to share the sources at some point and we will continue to press them on doing so. Minix has promised they will and I am sure Beelink will too. But because of the TOU with the main chip companies and the competition they must fight with, there is a delay in this happening.

In the end we cannot be the GPL cops I am sorry. My suggestion would be for everyone that this is an issue with, to file a GPL complaint against these China chip companies. Not the board makers but the chip companies! THEY are the ones causing this not the likes of Minix or Beelink, etc.... They are forced to do what these chip companies mandate or THEY TOO will be cut off!

Of note.... The NDK (Kernel) is GPL. The SDK is an Apache license and is not mandated by GPL. Look it up if you don't believe me. So the MINIMUM they would have to provide is kernel sources if their hand was forced.

Bob
                          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

By the way, let me just add....

If you force FreakTab's hand with GPL and beat us up, then what we can and have been doing for users will stop as we too will not get sources. Our hands will tied by the same thing that the board/product makers (like Minix and Beelink) have as well.

I do NOT like this situation but it is not in our control either! The "HAND" is being forced by the China chip makers and their SDK "terms and conditions".

So all I am saying is don't beat up the messenger.... If you want to escalate this issue use GPL and complain about the China chip makers. If you beat up the lower level in the chain folks, you will hurt yourself.
                            We are not the cause of this issue and try as we might to not propagate it, we are being forced like everyone else that works with RockChip and AML!
                            Ever heard the term "the shit rolls down hill"? Well that is what is happening!

Bob

Comment

user_id. I deleted your F word post and image.

This is not acceptable content here.

We have all level of people here including kids. Please do not post things like that again. Tone it down a little and that is OK. F word etc is not.

Thank you,
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X