Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Alternative Method to Recover from Corrupt Bootloader.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Alternative Method to Recover from Corrupt Bootloader.

Hello

My Mini M8S 2 was bricked recently. The bootloader seemed gone/corrupt, there was no lights on the unit whatsoever or video-output.
    Trying the reset button to enter recovery/usb flash mode did not work, neither did the Burn Card method. The only thing I didn't try was shorting the pins on emmc, but hey, I didn't wanna mess with that so I found a different way.

On the Libreelec forumpage "[HOW + FAQ] Install community builds...." they mention using a sdcard (below 16gb fat/fat32 format), put recovery.img and dtb.img from stock firmware etc...
    Well that didn't work for me, not even when the device was not bricked.

What I eventually wound up doing was using "bootcardmaker", not burn card maker, to burn stock bootloader onto a sdcard, then putting the stock recovery.img + dtb.img and u-boot.bin on the card.
    Whit this card in place, I used toothpick method with a usb cable to my computer, and voila, it was detected and I could flash new firmware.

I'm guessing it worked because there was no functioning bootloader on the emmc, but on the card there was, so it used that and loaded also the recovery from there.

PS: Funny thing; initially I though I now have a great way of always getting in to USB BURN Mode, but no, it didn't work after the box was functioning again. Weird, but there is a way to enter USB Burn Mode that worked for me. I'll quote zuignapje from XDA here:

I had the same problem, this message is normal (i think) and has nothing to do with it. With some luck I found out that there are 2 different modes, which is not documented clearly anywhere.
    1. The one with the menu to update/flash from sd, this is to apply updates only i guess? In this mode your computer/usbflash tool will not recognize the device. You get here by holding the reset button while applying the power cord.
    2. And one where it will boot to the boot logo and stop there, the computer will recognize the device in this mode. To get in this mode, connect the power cord and usb male-male cord. It will automatically turn on, so turn it off with the remote. Hold the reset button, and turn the device on with the remote. It will now get stuck on the boot logo and a usb device will be found on your computer.

Here is an elaborate explanation for those who want to try this:

Requirement: USB Male - Male Cable.

Boot Card Maker - from chinagadgetsreviews (I can't post links apparently)

AMLogic Customization Tool - It's here on the forum, in the tools section I believe.

Get a firmware package for your device - Mini M8S II - Here: chinagadgetsreviews - rv112 version
    And also grab the USB Burning Tool from the same page.

Now you're prepared.

Unpack Your firmware with the Customization Tool (Just open the software, click "Load" just select one option like modify dtb or whatever).
    Now open the folder where you installed Amlogic Tools - C:\Program Files (x86)\Amlogic\CustomizationTool - or wherever you put it.
    Here you'll find a directory - tmp - go inside, then to directory - level1.

Copy the files: recovery.PARTITION and bootloader.PARTITION and meson1.dtb

Copy these files somewhere safe In this safe place, rename the recovery / bootloader.PARTITION files to - recovery.img and u-boot.bin respectively. Then rename the last file to dtb.img.

Open bootcardmaker. Select the u-boot.bin file and burn it to a small sdcard, following the onscreen instructions. After that put all the files you copied and renamed (including u-boot.bin) on the prepared sdcard.
    Now you can put that card in your tv-box.

But we're not done yet, so don't turn it on just yet. Now, open the USB Burning Tool, select the stock firmware you downloaded (or maybe some other ROM you wanna flash).

Now, with the sdcard in the box, and the USB cable ready - put one end in your PC and while doing the "toothpick" thing. plug it in you tv-box. It should be recognized by the Burn Tool on you PC now.
    If you try to flash right away you might get an error, this seems to be because it needs more power - so plug in the power adapter also.

Now flash and you should be fine

Comment

Thanks for the info and explanation.

Is this the bootcardmaker that you refer to?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mf3s43g5tg2vn9n/Amlogic_SDcardMaker_BootcardMaker_burnBootCard_v1. 0.1.rar

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
        Thanks for the info and explanation.

Is this the bootcardmaker that you refer to?
        I'm not sure. You will notice the difference, Boot Card Maker is a simpler software, it will only format sdcard with the bootloader. The other one will "burn" a whole firmware image to the sdcard, and has a lot more buttons/options.

Edit: Image from Chinagadgetreviews
        Click image for larger version

Name:	F%C4%83r%C4%83-titlu2.jpg
Views:	5596
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	657449

Comment

Yes it's the same.

Comment

Shortening the pins seems intimidating but id argue that its simpler than the method posted above.

done it to 3 different boxes (RK3188, S905 & S905X). i actually didnt know what the correct pins was for my s905x device, i literally just randomly shortened anything on the board until hey presto, it popped up on USB Burning tool.

these boxes are cheap as sh*t but it takes some effort to truly break one (apart from smash it with a hammer), once you learn the shorten pin technique, you can try anything on the box and still restore it to a stock firmware (providing you have the firmware .img)

Comment

Always nice when you can have a choice of options though.

Comment

Where can i see wich pins to short for the mini M8S II?

Comment

Hello stenor, I've done all the procedure but it does not work and the message is the same, can this be a new problem? You can help us.!!

Note;
                  I constantly update this method without problems tv box by usb, the problem is only with this unit.

[12:09:50 360][HUB4-1][Inf]--CheckFileRunState succeed
                  [12:09:50 360][HUB4-1][Inf]-- low_power
                  [12:09:50 366][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send command success
                  [12:09:50 369][HUB4-1][Inf]--Read command status success
                  [12:09:50 369][HUB4-1][Inf]-------------Download meson1.dtb-----------
                  [12:09:50 370][HUB4-1][Inf]--0-7-0-16
                  [12:09:50 370][HUB4-1][Inf]-- download mem dtb normal 79872
                  [12:09:50 371][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send download command success
                  [12:09:50 384][HUB4-1][Inf]--Read command status success
                  [12:09:50 398][HUB4-1][Inf]--Transfer complete
                  [12:09:50 398][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send download get_status command succeed
                  [12:09:50 402][HUB4-1][Inf]--get_status success
                  [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]-------------ERASE FLASH-----------
                  [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]--disk_initial 1
                  [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send command success
                  [12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Err]--usbReadFile len=512, ret=-116 error_msg=libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error

[12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Err]--Check command return failed
                  [12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 1, FailureMax : 3
                  [12:11:51 406][HUB4-1][Err]--[12:11:51 406][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 2, FailureMax : 3
                  [12:11:51 907][HUB4-1][Err]--[12:11:51 907][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 3, FailureMax : 3
                  [12:11:52 074][HUB4-1][Err]--[0x30201006]UBOOT/Disk initialize/Send command/Time out
                  [12:11:52 074][HUB4-1][Inf]--Close device handle 0x000003b0
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi to all ,

at the moment that is a real needed Thread , many Users brick there AML Devices .

greetings

gefattern

Comment

stenor, trying to be clear from your comments with your corrupt bootlloader , the bootcardmaker with the image did or did not solve your issue ?

Comment

Originally posted by zipcode View Post
                        Hello stenor, I've done all the procedure but it does not work and the message is the same, can this be a new problem? You can help us.!!

Note;
                        I constantly update this method without problems tv box by usb, the problem is only with this unit.

[12:09:50 360][HUB4-1][Inf]--CheckFileRunState succeed
                        [12:09:50 360][HUB4-1][Inf]-- low_power
                        [12:09:50 366][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send command success
                        [12:09:50 369][HUB4-1][Inf]--Read command status success
                        [12:09:50 369][HUB4-1][Inf]-------------Download meson1.dtb-----------
                        [12:09:50 370][HUB4-1][Inf]--0-7-0-16
                        [12:09:50 370][HUB4-1][Inf]-- download mem dtb normal 79872
                        [12:09:50 371][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send download command success
                        [12:09:50 384][HUB4-1][Inf]--Read command status success
                        [12:09:50 398][HUB4-1][Inf]--Transfer complete
                        [12:09:50 398][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send download get_status command succeed
                        [12:09:50 402][HUB4-1][Inf]--get_status success
                        [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]-------------ERASE FLASH-----------
                        [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]--disk_initial 1
                        [12:09:50 904][HUB4-1][Inf]--Send command success
                        [12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Err]--usbReadFile len=512, ret=-116 error_msg=libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error

[12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Err]--Check command return failed
                        [12:11:50 906][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 1, FailureMax : 3
                        [12:11:51 406][HUB4-1][Err]--[12:11:51 406][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 2, FailureMax : 3
                        [12:11:51 907][HUB4-1][Err]--[12:11:51 907][HUB4-1][Inf]--Failure : 3, FailureMax : 3
                        [12:11:52 074][HUB4-1][Err]--[0x30201006]UBOOT/Disk initialize/Send command/Time out
                        [12:11:52 074][HUB4-1][Inf]--Close device handle 0x000003b0
                        Well, my guide is not to fix problems with USB_Burning_Tool. My guide is for enabling the use of said tool.

Though I did notice two things that might help. From your picture I see you're using an old version, use the latest, it's 2.0.8 I think.
                        Also make sure to plug the power adapter before flashing, sometimes that is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by traitt View Post
                          stenor, trying to be clear from your comments with your corrupt bootlloader , the bootcardmaker with the image did or did not solve your issue ?
                          I don't understand what you're saying here. I don't have an issue.
                          This is a guide to help other's re-flash their nand storage with new bootloader, and firmware. That means it's meant to fix the problem, not just speculate about it.

You can use this guide, or you can short the pins on the nand-chip. There are guides for that elsewhere.

Edit: Ok, I see where the confusion could arise. The title is a bit confusing. I will change it if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by azizlaite View Post
                            Where can i see wich pins to short for the mini M8S II?
                            I don't know, I've never used that method for this device. You must find it yourself. Shouldn't be hard, M8S 2 is a very common and popular tv-box.

Comment

ok at the time of my comment was just trying to research the burn card tool. i used it yesterday worked on Rikomagic for firmware update. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X