Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spastro View Post
    What's the difference between the m8s pro and the pro L
    I'm looking at getting my second box. Currently have the alfawise h96pro plus 3/64
    DDR4 vs DDR3
    Youtube SD vs Youtube 4K
    Netflix SD vs Netflix HD

Comment

Originally posted by Deanff3 View Post

DDR4 vs DDR3
      Youtube SD vs Youtube 4K
      Netflix SD vs Netflix HD
      I thought m8s pro was widivine 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Spastro View Post

I thought m8s pro was widivine 1?

M8S Pro+/Plus

Comment

Ohh. I thought that the m8s pro also had widvine given that its a more expensive unit.

m8s pro+ on gear best is around $50
          m8s pro is $79
          m8s pro L is $73

Confusing with the prices

Comment

VideoStrong just released 20170918.111557.V0619 firmware for the M8S Pro L.

OTA Update: https://mega.nz/#F!GJMCDCqa!ZIPErel0XHifEyQMIOAelw

Note that this is a pseudo-ATV build (has Google Play Store for Android TV, but not the Android TV Launcher), and it's also locked down with some proprietary form of Android Verified Boot (AVB), so we probably won't be able to install TWRP anytime soon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This bootloader seems incompatible with the M8S Pro, so don't try to flash it on those older devices. (I just had to recover mine by shorting pins on the NAND.)
            Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2017, 22:13. Reason: Removed link for burn package, since the M8S Pro uboot binaries don't work on the M8S Pro L.

Comment

Any reviews out there yet?
            I'm keen on this box with its widivine 1 and all

Comment

There is an offer on GearBest that seems to be current
              Code M8SPLGB $51.99

Comment

Just ordered 2 from gearbest.
                hope they're Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                  Note that this is a pseudo-ATV build (has Google Play Store for Android TV, but not the Android TV Launcher), and it's also locked down with some proprietary form of Android Verified Boot (AVB),so we probably won't be able to customize the ROM anytime soon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This bootloader seems incompatible with the M8S Pro, so don't try to flash it on those older devices. (I just had to recover mine by shorting pins on the NAND.)
                  would this have any effect on libreElec on usb/sd in anyway?
                  ive got one coming and hope to put LibreElec on usb and leave this rom stock for now, just in case this box also has the bad batch of eMMC as the pro+

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post

Note that this is a pseudo-ATV build (has Google Play Store for Android TV, but not the Android TV Launcher), and it's also locked down with some proprietary form of Android Verified Boot (AVB), so we probably won't be able to install TWRP anytime soon.

Is it a big problem? I would like take this instead of Mi box Android Tv to use with Amazon Prime tv and Netflix

Thanks
                    Ale

Comment

anyway my box arrived today, google play is the TV version with the firmware shipped.
                      has a google cast but doesnt seem to work.
                      drm info shows security L1
                      youtube and netflix are the TV versions
                      youtube plays at 1080P
                      dont have netflix account, but im not interested in that
                      wont have time to test much but thats about it for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	675618Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	675619Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	675620Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	913.6 KB
ID:	675621

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Yesterday i also received my Mecool M8S Pro L android box.

Same conclusions as Dope101 mentioned:

- firmware is Android TV version. Apps like Netflix and Youtube are not easy to control with mouse, but rely on the IR remote control included by the box.
                        - Google play store will install 'Android TV' versions of apps. e.g. i could not install GTA:VC or GTA:SA on this device by the play store.
                        - Spotify from the playstore is also the android TV version, so again not easy to control by mouse.

- Netflix is working in HD! Very good. I dont own a UHD TV, so cannot try the 4K, but HD is a great improvement.
                        - Youtube is working with HD as well!

- DRM tool is stock installed and showing L1 DRM

The box was shipped with firmwre 20170910.160404.V0619. There are update apps present, but OTA does not automaticly update by internet.

I could acknowledge that for the dutch visitors, the Z*ggo app IS working on this device both replay TV and live TV.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by thijsnl View Post
                          Yesterday i also received my Mecool M8S Pro L android box.

Same conclusions as Dope101 mentioned:

- firmware is Android TV version. Apps like Netflix and Youtube are not easy to control with mouse, but rely on the IR remote control included by the box.
                          - Google play store will install 'Android TV' versions of apps. e.g. i could not install GTA:VC or GTA:SA on this device by the play store.
                          - Spotify from the playstore is also the android TV version, so again not easy to control by mouse..
                          This is the same with recent Android tablet Firmware on S905X Mecool M8S Pro Plus boxes now as well - I was also pleasantly surprised the Android TV Playstore is used for installing Apps.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxtasy View Post

This is the same with recent Android tablet Firmware on S905X Mecool M8S Pro Plus boxes now as well - I was also pleasantly surprised the Android TV Playstore is used for installing Apps.
                            What FW have you got on your MS8 Pro+ ?
                            Mine has NHG47L 20170914.183646.V0619 and it is not ATV Playstore etc.

EDIT:

Just found an 0919 update on the GeekB Blog - maybe that is the one you have.

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
                              What FW have you got on your MS8 Pro+ ?

Just found an 0919 update on the GeekB Blog - maybe that is the one you have.
                              I've since overwritten it with an ATV ROM, but I believe I used this M8S_PRO+-ota-20170919.150557.V0619.zip from MEGAdownload

Pretty snappy it was too.

Comment

Working...
                              X