Mecool M8S PRO L 4K TV Box Amlogic S912 Bluetooth 4.1 + HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thijsnl View Post
    Yesterday i also received my Mecool M8S Pro L android box.

Same conclusions as Dope101 mentioned:

- firmware is Android TV version. Apps like Netflix and Youtube are not easy to control with mouse, but rely on the IR remote control included by the box.
    - Google play store will install 'Android TV' versions of apps. e.g. i could not install GTA:VC or GTA:SA on this device by the play store.
    - Spotify from the playstore is also the android TV version, so again not easy to control by mouse.

- Netflix is working in HD! Very good. I dont own a UHD TV, so cannot try the 4K, but HD is a great improvement.
    - Youtube is working with HD as well!

- DRM tool is stock installed and showing L1 DRM

The box was shipped with firmwre 20170910.160404.V0619. There are update apps present, but OTA does not automaticly update by internet.

I could acknowledge that for the dutch visitors, the Z*ggo app IS working on this device both replay TV and live TV.
    Netflix HD(720p) or 1080p?

Comment

Originally posted by Deanff3 View Post

Netflix HD(720p) or 1080p?
      It shows HD icon. How can i check the displayed resolution?

Comment

Interesting... The DRM Info screenshot doesn't show HDCP level, but you are still getting HD streaming in Netflix.

Comment

ATV Netflix
          Keyboard : CTRL+F4

Comment

Thanks for the shortcut. I tried both House of Cards and Suits. Both confirmed to play at 1080!
            Sorry for the dutch captions, but i think its quite clear.

picture proof:

​​​​​​​
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
              Interesting... The DRM Info screenshot doesn't show HDCP level, but you are still getting HD streaming in Netflix.
              My output of DRM Info is a bit different and does show HDCP levels!

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

My output of DRM Info is a bit different and does show HDCP levels!
                Sorry about that, i was testing on a Dell u2410, on my tv has the same HDCP info as yours.

Comment

Anybody tested on a 4K TV then ....

Comment

Are the M8S Pro L units that are shipping now have reset buttons? (The latest M8S Pro+ boxes have had the reset switch removed.)

Comment

Latest Smartphone Review!: "OUKITEL MIX 2: Amazing, BUDGET, HIGH SPEC Smartphone Review! 4G, 4K DUAL CAMERAS, 6GB RAM" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJO0v...

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                        Are the M8S Pro L units that are shipping now have reset buttons? (The latest M8S Pro+ boxes have had the reset switch removed.)
                        There is no physical reset button present, just a pinhole

EDIT: As Magendanz commented, It doesn't look like there is a PCB switch below the pinhole. Tapping the hole with a pin (ehh. its a pinhole, right?) does not do anything.
                        I am sure there must be some kind of reset button/pad available o n the PCB in case of initial flashing or repair.
                        Last edited by thijsnl; 10-04-2017, 20:33.

Comment

Guest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          On the M8S Pro+, that pinhole in the base doesn't have a switch on the PCB under it. Can you confirm that there's an actual switch?

Selling one of these devices without a reset switch is pretty obnoxious. It means that if you ever have a bad flash and can't get to Terminal to type "reboot recovery", you're forced to open up the case and find the pins to short. For custom ROM developer like me, that's an incredible hassle. (But maybe that's the point.)

The whole purpose of having a recovery partition is for situations where you can't boot the system and need to have a known safe alternative boot path. Without the reset button, you can't trigger that when it's most desperately needed.

Comment

• trebor
                          trebor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Must protect L1 from outside intervention....;-)

Originally posted by Magendanz View Post
                        Selling one of these devices without a reset switch is pretty obnoxious. It means that if you ever have a bad flash and can't get to Terminal to type "reboot recovery", you're forced to open up the case and find the pins to short. For custom ROM developer like me, that's an incredible hassle. (But maybe that's the point.)

The whole purpose of having a recovery partition is for situations where you can't boot the system and need to have a known safe alternative boot path. Without the reset button, you can't trigger that when it's most desperately needed.
                        I don't think the Xiaomi Mi Box 3 has any reset button. You boot from recovery using a button combination on the remote.

Comment

I've just written to Videostrong challenging their absurd design decision, underlining that no user wants to be limited to their buggy factory firmware and that the Pro Plus box would have bombed without custom rom development. May or may not hear back..they did reply to me on another occasion.

Indeed, the Mi Box has no reset button. You access recovery by removing and replacing the remote batteries and then applying power with Back and OK buttons pressed. The deal with the batteries may be because it's a bluetooth remote.
                          Last edited by Zahir; 10-04-2017, 22:46.

Comment

It really is the most stupid decision I have seen in a long time.

After the M8S Pro+ eMMC fiasco, Videostong needs to get their shit together if they want ongoing 3rd party developer support.

Without that reset button, a whole bunch of potential beginner LibreELEC users are going to run into lots of difficulties as well.

In fact I will be compiling a LibreELEC list of Videostrong devices NOT to buy if this is going to be the new norm.
                            Last edited by wrxtasy; 10-05-2017, 08:33.

Comment

Working...
                            X