Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: MK908 NAND Install (Working krnl source available too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: MK908 NAND Install (Working krnl source available too)

Ripped from Goldenfly's sources and instructions, with update!

system.img that includes:
    Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules
    - /lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive
    - /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo
    - as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img.

GoldenFly's source: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Bf...it?usp=sharing
    Reuploaded to my server for redundancy's sake: http://tyleryeomans.com/rk/PicUntu-4...and-MK908v3.7z

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
    0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

9. (Tyeo098 added): I'm to lazy to repack the system.img file, but you can do this:
    - sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel/drivers/net
    - sudo mv /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+ /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel/drivers/net/rkwifi.ko
    - sudo depmod -a
    Now try:
    - sudo modprobe rkwifi
    If that works, then you can autoload it on startup by editing your /etc/modules file:
    - sudo nano /etc/modules
    And add rkwifi to the bottom of the list, save it, exit, (CTRL+O,CTRL+X) reboot.

BUT WAIT! THERES MORE!!!!

Sorry gmtii, Goldenfly. That kernel is iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinferior!
    Android paranoid wifi is still engaged and the apcidisis (or whatever) flag that makes chromium only display a white page is still engaged.

But I love you guys. So here is the kernel source (and precompiled image) on my github, with paranoid wifi and other flag disabled. So you can fork and modify to your hearts content.
    Contribute to tyeo098/MK908-Kernel-NAND development by creating an account on GitHub.

Just run maker.sh which compiles and assembles the kernel source into something usable.

EDIT: Also my kernel is 1080p because 720 looks like doodoo.
    Buy me a beer with
    DogeCoin: D6EeoEKcZJL234UhVFRV8Uy6HnfNurBS2y
    or
    BitCoin 17iQsUv7RoWVmDynfBS9qF88NxT4ETvhUn

Tried your kernel wth 1080 output. Works great. Thank you.

Comment

mk908 v5 wifi not working

Hi guys,
      Thanks for awesome job! I've installed picuntu based on this thread together with kernel from https://github.com/tyeo098/MK908-Kernel-NAND.

I've mk908 v5 I don't know what is the difference between v3 and v5 but picuntu works great except wifi.
      there is a 6210 wifi chip in v5 and whenever I try to load the module /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+ it loads ok. I can even try to run iwconfig however it takes long time and shows 2 more interfaces p2poe and wlan0 however no mac address.
      iwlist scanning says that none interface doesn't support scanning.

dmesg says something about power but don't remember exactly. I can add dmesg logs latter if you think they will be helpful.

Do you know where I can find proper modules for v5?

thanks in advance

EDIT:

WIFI works with default kernel. However it would be great to have
      Android paranoid wifi disable and working wifi. Any suggestions?

Last edited by czlowiewkzmarsa; 01-20-2014, 05:24.

Comment

So, you tried my kernel and were unable to get wifi working?

Odd. I got wifi working no problem. My kernel is compiled with AP6210 support, since that is what the V3 uses.
        Did you remember to bring the interface up after loading the module?

Try scanning with WICD after loading the module. That usually works for me. It brings the interface up and scans and everything for you!
        Buy me a beer with
        or

Comment

I flash my stick with a different Linux, but sometimes if you manual override the MAC address using the GUI to the original MAC address of the stick, wifi will work. Give it a try

Comment

Doh!

I forgot you have to copy the /system/etc/firmware/* files to /etc/firmware

I'll recompile the kernel to look in the original directory...
            Buy me a beer with
            or

Comment

Done.

Check my git for an updated source and compiled kernel.

Now it looks in /system/etc/firmware which is consistent with the location in the filesystem.
              Buy me a beer with
              or

Comment

Thanks!

after copping files from /system/etc/firmware to /etc/firmware everything works great,
                Thanks

Comment

Can someone see if the wifi works without copying the files over now that I've changed it?
                  My device is in my office and I'm at home
                  Buy me a beer with
                  or

Comment

I can confirm that new kernel.img uses files in /sys/etc/firmware

However I noticed different problem maybe connected with my device or this release of picuntu.
                    I have random reboots, at random times not connected with cpu load or anything, mk908 is very cold I don't do anything on it. Just simply restarts at random times.
                    Any suggestions why it happens? before I was running finless 1.7a and sometimes mk908 was getting very hot but was rock solid. I tried to find some relevant logs however couldn't find anything

Comment

Originally posted by czlowiewkzmarsa View Post
                      I have random reboots, at random times not connected with cpu load or anything, mk908
                      I also have with problems on my mk908 on version 13.04, i have flashed system image of ubuntu 12.04 - and it works very stable.

Comment

Originally posted by subver View Post
                        I also have with problems on my mk908 on version 13.04, i have flashed system image of ubuntu 12.04 - and it works very stable.
                        Thanks, I reflashed ubuntu 12.04 and now everything works great
                        At the beginning I used teyo098's kernel but something wasn't working after 1 min of usage it was restarting.
                        now I'm using kernel you linked here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_kc...it?usp=sharing
                        and no problems
                        I've installed wifi modules so now it has wifi on boot.

Thanks a lot guys

Comment

Originally posted by czlowiewkzmarsa View Post
                          Thanks, I reflashed ubuntu 12.04 and now everything works great At the beginning I used teyo098's kernel but something wasn't working after 1 min of usage it was restarting. now I'm using kernel you linked here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_kc...it?usp=sharing and no problems I've installed wifi modules so now it has wifi on boot. Thanks a lot guys
                          Can you send me the /proc/config.gz file of that kernel? Maybe there is something wrong with my configuration. I'll run a diff on it and see.
                          Buy me a beer with
                          or

Comment

OK
                            Attached Files

Comment

Diff results:

Code:
                              25a26
                              > CONFIG_FIQ=y
                              95c96
                              < CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="../initramfs/initramfs.cpio"
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="./initramfs.cpio"
                              (nothing interesting...)
                              323a325
                              > CONFIG_RK_CONSOLE_THREAD=y
                              493c495,500
                              < # CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER is not set
                              (nothing interesting...)
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_FIQ_GLUE=y
                              > CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER=y
                              > CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER_NO_SLEEP=y
                              > # CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER_WAKEUP_IRQ_ALWAYS_ON is not set
                              > CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER_CONSOLE=y
                              > CONFIG_FIQ_DEBUGGER_CONSOLE_DEFAULT_ENABLE=y
                              (Fast Interrupt reQuest in my kernel... could be source of issue)
                              562c569
                              < CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mtdblock2 console=ttyS2,115200 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rootflags=noatime init=/sbin/init loglevel=8  mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00008000@0x00002000(boot),0x00008000@0x0000A000(kernel),-@0x00012000(system)"
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mtdblock2 console=ttyS2,115200 init=/sbin/init loglevel=8 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00008000@0x00002000(boot),0x00008000@0x0000A000(kernel),-@0x00012000(system)"
                              (nothing interesting...)
                              593c600
                              < # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
                              598,599c605,606
                              < # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_SAVAGEDZEN is not set
                              < # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_HOTPLUG is not set
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_SAVAGEDZEN=y
                              > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_HOTPLUG=y
                              (I'm using a different CPU governor mode... maybe I'll try theirs)
                              641c648,651
                              < # CONFIG_PM_DEBUG is not set
                              ---
                              > CONFIG_PM_DEBUG=y
                              > # CONFIG_PM_ADVANCED_DEBUG is not set
                              > # CONFIG_PM_TEST_SUSPEND is not set
                              > CONFIG_CAN_PM_TRACE=y
                              (Power management debug output not in other kernel... odd)
                              2149,2150c2159,2160
                              < CONFIG_BOX_FB_720P=y
                              < # CONFIG_BOX_FB_1080P is not set
                              ---
                              > # CONFIG_BOX_FB_720P is not set
                              > CONFIG_BOX_FB_1080P=y
                              (nothing interesting... 720p vs 1080p)
                              So the only main issues are the FIQ, CPU scaling mode, and Power management.
                              Lemme drop their config in my source and see what the happy-haps is.

Here it is...: http://tyleryeomans.com/rk/kernel.140122.01.test.img
                              This is with Człowiekzmarsa's provided config file so its 720p and awful, but it shouldn't reboot. Once someone tests this and confirms reboots are gone, I can see if it was PM or FIQ or CPU Gov's that was the cause, and recompile it for pretty 1080p
                              Buy me a beer with
                              or

Comment

Working...
                              X