Pipo x8 slow Ethernet.....SOLVED.....check post 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo x8 slow Ethernet.....SOLVED.....check post 16

Hi anybody else with this box? I just got it but have a slight problem. Wi-Fi works perfectly......shows correct download speeds (30-50megs). However Ethernet gets only 6-9 megs. I've switched cables, modems and updated drivers but speeds are consistent. I've changed connection properties but still same result. Wi-Fi...no problem. Any ideas?

If your in windows, try resetting all ethernet /network/browser settings to default. Are you using a router or just a (cable)modem.. is it a router/cablemodem combo?

Comment

Originally posted by tmc8080 View Post
      If your in windows, try resetting all ethernet /network/browser settings to default. Are you using a router or just a (cable)modem.. is it a router/cablemodem combo?
      I've resetted it already and what I have is a cable modem with Ethernet plugs in the back. It's a Motorola SB65 something. I haven't tried the speed in Android so I will try that tonight.

Comment

Hi,
        I've got exactly the same problem - ethernet (via RJ45) is veeeeeery slow (10Mbit).
        Ethernet controller is actually attached to USB hub so I was suspecting that maybe USB is slow (1.1) but nope - I've got good transfers with external HDD on USB: approx 40MB/s so it's not a fault of USB.
        Any ideas?

Comment

This seems to be the latest driver but I'm not sure. http://www.davicom.com.tw/page1.aspx?no=209814

maybe a usb bus issue?

Comment

Ok, guys, now I'm getting crazy.
            I switched to Android, then I installed some internet speed test - which showed 40Mbit (that's what I have)! Then I think to myself: ok, good, it's a matter of software.
            I ran SMB download from PC - but still 10Mbit. Strange, as my PC is a quite powerfull RAID. Ok, let's try again internet speed - 40Mbit. Then SMB - 10-20Mbit. Getting weird...
            Switched into Windows, started downloading some huge test file - 40Mbit! Then SMB from PC: 90Mbit! Yeah!!!
            Now I'm simply afraid to reboot it
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet.png
Views:	0
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	526342

Comment

What is this SMB thing your talking about?

Comment

strictly speaking, shared folders and files

Comment

Originally posted by asiki View Post
                  Ok, guys, now I'm getting crazy.
                  I switched to Android, then I installed some internet speed test - which showed 40Mbit (that's what I have)! Then I think to myself: ok, good, it's a matter of software.
                  I ran SMB download from PC - but still 10Mbit. Strange, as my PC is a quite powerfull RAID. Ok, let's try again internet speed - 40Mbit. Then SMB - 10-20Mbit. Getting weird...
                  Switched into Windows, started downloading some huge test file - 40Mbit! Then SMB from PC: 90Mbit! Yeah!!!
                  Now I'm simply afraid to reboot it
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n526342[/ATTACH]
                  Could to go into more detail on how you attained this........in layman terms. TIA.

Comment

Ok, so:
                    1. Being in Windows I clicked restart, while booting I selected Android to be loaded instead of Windows
                    2. I'm on Android. Wifi is off. Ethernet is also off so I have no internet connection. Go to Settings, expand 1st section (just below WiFi settings), go to Ethernet settings and switch Ethernet on.
                    3. Run browser and open any web page - internet is working thru Ethernet.
                    4. Go to Google Play and install any internet speed tester, I installed Ookla Speedtest.net
                    5. Run it - here I've seen good bandwidth (40Mbit/sec) for the first time.
                    6. Open browser and find some page with huge files to be downloaded (I live in Poland so I used http://noc.pirx.pl but you'd better chose some closer to your location).
                    7. Download the test file - I've got great results (4MB/sec = 40Mbit/sec)
                    8. Go to Google Play and install some good file manager, I installed File Manager HD
                    9. Please keep in mind that I have PC connected to the router, this PC shares several folders, more details here:
                    Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

10. Run the file manager and connect to some shared folder on the PC - in order to do this you have to create LAN connection in the file manager and type PC's IP address
                    11. Select some big file and click Copy
                    12. Go to some local folder (located on on your device's flash) and Paste the file there, check transfer speed - in my case it was still 10Mbit/sec (1MB/sec)
                    13. Then I repeated test with internet speed tester - result was good again (40Mbit/sec)
                    14. Then I repeated test with file manager - result was poor again but slightly better (10-20Mbit/sec)
                    15. Switch back to windows - in order to do this pull down the right-upper corner to get quick settings window (the one where you can quickly change screen brightness, turn on/off wifi etc., there is also a button with Windows icon to restart the device and run Windows).
                    16. Open browser and open the same page with huge files to be downloaded.
                    17. Download the test file - great results again (4MB/sec = 40Mbit/sec)
                    18. Open Windows Explorer, expand Network, choose the PC, find some big file and drag&drop it onto your desktop, check download speed - mine was great (10MB/sec = 100Mbit/sec)
                    Of course I don't know if these steps could help you, honestly I have no idea what has changed and why my network adapter started working fine.
                    I checked many settings (BIOS, Windows, Android) but I didn't change any of them, even for a while. I also didn't upgrade any driver during investigation, also windows updates require my confirmation.
                    I can say that once I had windows crash (it hanged up and I had to pull the power plug off), also once it happened that switching Android into Windows started Android again, heh. But I doubt it could matter.
                    Anyway, please check what I've checked, maybe you'll get some clue. Good luck!

Comment

Ooops, a mistake - test in points 6-7 was actually done later, around 12-15, somewhere there, don't remember.
                      I also tried another file manager for Android but the results were the same.
                      Anyway, please try different combinations, I still have no idea what happened...

Comment

The last idea - maybe connecting HDD to USB (on Windows) reminded the USB controller that it supports HiSpeed (usb2.0)? A really stupid idea but...

Comment

Keep an eye on the system temps... performance could suffer (including ethernet) if the temps are high.. as in throttling.
                          This could lead to some intermittent problems.. which are obviously solved by active cooling or passive cooling mods..

For eample, trying to watch a high bit rate 1080p video and multitasking casual browsing *COULD* make it hiccup and/or overheat.
                          Something that might not happen with a cherrytrail or N series or better processor / 8th gen IntelHD graphics.
                          BTW, I've seen AMD dip their toe in the NUC biz as of late.. but they are sadly overpriced...

If all you have open is a single page broswer and the ethernet is messing up.. its worth looking into the benchmarks to see what's possibly at fault... it is *POSSIBLE* to get a defective unit, if you just got it..
                          That's why its important to do diagnotic tests before the warranty/(defective) return period is over.

*as an afterthought, you said you have the sb65xx series modem/router combo-- I highly suggest using the latest firmware updates! if only to fix the security flaws in that modem/router combo!

Comment

One more hint: power supply seems to be a bit crappy, maybe it helped that I had to reconnect its plug when Windows hanged up? Next stupid idea but...
                            Here is some info that power supply in X7 may cause USB and Ethernet issues:

Comment

It may or may not be the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check out if Windows sets correct network adapter metric automatically. I have a notebook which only has 100Mbit LAN, so I use an external USB3 gigabit adapter, but before I set up the metrics manually, I used to get around 300-400Mbit/s speeds because Windows used my 802.11ac wireless adapter instead of the faster external NIC...

Comment

Working...
                              X