Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo X7S 64GB won't boot - Led: Short flash -> 5 seconds off -> 5 seconds on

I have two Pipo X7S 64GB with the same problem.

I bought the first one (silver) a month ago and tested it with Windows 8.1. Because the temperatures where a bit high I decided to modify the cooling. Then I started Windows and tested the temperature of the system under heavy load. It was a big success. The next day the Pipo would boot anymore (look at the problem below).

After a few hours of trying I did something and I managed to get it working again. I installed the Windows 10 preview and the windows 8.1 drivers. Then the system crashed with a blue screen and the Pipo wouldn't boot anymore. I thought that I had broken something (during the modification of the cooling) and I ordered another one.

That one (black) arrived today. The first boot went well. Windows 8.1 started and after half an hour I did a shutdown. Then I started the Pipo X7S again and I think I saw the windows 8.1 boot animation and then nothing. Just a blank screen. I removed the power cord and started the Pipo again. And this time it wouldn't boot again. It was having the same problem as the first Pipo that I bought. This one is totally unmodified.

The problem:
    - Insert power connector.
    - The led flashes shortly -> Then five seconds no light -> Then five second light -> and it repeats again
    - There is no video output
    - The led's on the keyboard don't light up.
    - A very long press on the power button stops the led sequence. A short press starts it again.

I already tried:
    - Booting without the USB devices, or LAN or HDMI
    - Pressing the reset button on the back.
    - I tested it with a better quality power supply (http://www.fspgroupusa.com/ecommerce/fsp060-dbae1.html)

Does anybody know what is happening and how I can solve this? Is there a special "magic" combination of key's or buttons?
    Last edited by jhkn; 08-12-2015, 20:07.

Bella (from geekbuying) asked me to try the following procedure:
    http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...6083-20150502/

The documentation:

X7S UPGRADE METHOD
    1. Download the firmware. Or you can download the X7S system firmware from Pipo official website( www.pipo.com)
    2. Copy the “bios” file to U disk, then connect the U disk to X7S, right-click “flashwin32.bat” to run as the Administrator. (This step is for the X7S can boot normal, if X7S can’t boot , omit this step)
    3. Decompress the RAR files, copy the Android system files to U disk, then connect to X7S, press F7 when power on, wait to enter this interface click “Enter”, X7S will execute automatically.
    4. Change the format of your U disk into “ntfs”, change the file lable into “WINPE”, after powering on the X7S into Android system, connect the U disk which has copied the Win8.1 files, slide down at the top of right corner, it will appear a icon of windows. Click the icon, X7S will automatically read about the Win8 system in U disk, after installation finished, remove the U disk.

I want to try step 3. Does anybody understand what to do?

-What is the "U disk" they talk about. Is it an USB stick or a SD card?
    - If I unzip the firmware there are 3 folders; Windows, Android & Bios. Do I have to place the content of the Android folder in the root of the USB stick?
    - Which file format do I need? NTFS or something else?
    - Does it have to be bootable?

Yesterday my black Pipo X7S magically worked again. I managed to start Windows 2 times. I also installed the new firmware 186083 from within Windows. The 3th time Windows froze during the startup. The 4th the Pipo was having the same problem as before and is bricked again.

The problem:
    - Windows will only run 2 of 3 times
    - Then it will freeze during startup
    - And the Pipo is bricked again
    - 99% of the time after plugin in the power, without pressing any buttons, I get the led sequence as described before. I can stop this sequence if I press the power button for about 10 seconds. Then the led goes off and stays off. If I press the power button 2 seconds then the led sequence starts again.
    - 1% of the time it will magically start (maybe caused by pressing the power or reset button a special way)
    - After it is started, Windows will run max 2 or 3 times and then it freezes during the startup of Windows and the Pipo is bricked again.

I have this problem on both of my Pipo's X7S 64GB. Both of them have different setups (different monitors, power supply's, keyboards and hdmi cables).

I also would like to know if anybody is using the Pipo X7S 64GB without this problem or is this happening on al new devices.

Is it possible that Fast Startup is not working correctly? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Last edited by jhkn; 08-15-2015, 11:27.

Comment

Sorry to hear that,
      I received my pipo x7s about 2 weeks ago (black 64gb dual boot) Its been fine no booting issues.

Sounds odd that both yours are doing it and brought month apart. If no one else has seen the issue then likely something common at your end.

How did you modify for cooling? are both modded ?
      Did they both have the same USB devices plugged in at some point and over current the unit, like a portable hdd?

power adapters are rated ok for your country ?

You didnt change settings in the bios ?
      Last edited by toc; 08-15-2015, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by toc View Post
        Sorry to hear that,
        I received my pipo x7s about 2 weeks ago (black 64gb dual boot) Its been fine no booting issues.

Sounds odd that both yours are doing it and brought month apart. If no one else has seen the issue then likely something common at your end.

How did you modify for cooling? are both modded ?
        Did they both have the same USB devices plugged in at some point and over current the unit, like a portable hdd?

power adapters are rated ok for your country ?

You didnt change settings in the bios ?
        MODDING
        The first one is modded (0,5 mm and 5mm cooling pads and big heatsink) the second one isn't. So I don't think this is related to the problem. During the mod I used an ESD mat and wrist strap.

USB
        The only USB devices I plugged in are:
        - a wired asus keyboard
        - a wired asus mouse
        - a wireless Microsoft Keyboard
        - a wireless Logirech mouse
        - and for the restore an USB 3 stick.

I haven't used a USB hard disk.

POWER ADAPTER
        I used both power adapters from geek buying. But I don't trust those cheep Chinese ones so I also bought 2 quality power adapters.

I live in the Netherlands (Europe). The power adapters are rated ok for my country.

BIOS
        One the first silver one I didn't enter the bios.
        On the second black one I installed the latest bios (as requested by geekbuying). Then I entered the bios and reset it to the default settings.

I have build many PC's before and I know what I'm doing, but I really don't understand this Pipo device.

Comment

Sounds like youve done everything right, Strange you got same issue on both.

What about using only the USB ports on the back and plug only wired keyboard and mouse in,?
          Plus what about running android for now ?

note:when needed to do cold reboot pull the adapter out the back and let the board discharge before rebooting.

If it were me id check the bottom pad in the first one isn't electronically conductive, you could remove it for now and put back latter.

Comment

Originally posted by toc View Post
            Sounds like youve done everything right, Strange you got same issue on both.

What about using only the USB ports on the back and plug only wired keyboard and mouse in,?
            Plus what about running android for now ?

note:when needed to do cold reboot pull the adapter out the back and let the board discharge before rebooting.

If it were me id check the bottom pad in the first one isn't electronically conductive, you could remove it for now and put back latter.
            USB PORTS ON THE BACK & WIRED.
            If I manage to boot one of them I will try this. I will also try another wired keyboard & mouse and another hdmi cable, power supply, display and power outlet.

ANDROID
            I can't start anything. In the video (1 post) you can see that I can't do anything. There is no video output. Also strange is that the led sequence starts automatically after plugin in the power adapter. I don't have to press a button.
            I haven't ever started android on both devices.

COLD REBOOT
            That doesn't work. I removed the power supply fore one week and it didn't work. On the first Pipo I also temporary desoldered one of the internal battery legs. That didn't work either.

CONDUCTIVE
            The bottom pad is not conductive. I tested it with a multimeter. I also tried to start it without an enclosure.

I won't open my second Pipo because I don't want to loose my warranty.

Comment

- A very long press on the power button stops the led sequence. A short press starts it again.
              I think long press is powering it off, short press is back on, but the LED flashing must mean something low level is wrong.

Tried powering on with nothing plugged in but power and the LED stays solid.

FYI:
              When I put the power into mine the light comes on for 2 seconds then goes off.
              Also if the HDMI is not detected quick enough at boot up it remains switched off (so no video) and I have to hold the power button until it powers off and reboot it with the HDMI ready and TV on!

Comment

I've just joined to let the OP know that I too am experienceing the very same issue. I received the unit 3 days ago, switched it on to make sure it was working fine, added the heatsinks, ran it further and then the next day took it off to my office to continue modding.
                When I tried to plug it into a wall socket it did the very same thing, but when I plugged it into my desktop APC UPS (with clean power feed) all worked perfectly.
                I then wiped Android off it, upgraded it to Windows 10 and added some software, all over the course of many hours without a single problem.
                When I came in this morning (I had unplugged it overnight) even plugging it into the UPS caused the on-off LED issue and then it began to trip the UPS!
                I suspect the problem lies with the cheap power supply.
                I'm going to buy a better aftermarket one on my way home tonight and will keep you posted

Edited to add: The X7 did boot a copuple of times but failed to fully load with screen artifacts and locking up which may be a symptom of bad power delivery.
                Last edited by dos_box; 08-20-2015, 14:52.

Comment

I just managed to boot the black one today. But after a few minutes it is bricked again.
                  But this time I have some more information because I was able to reproduce it.

On the Windows destop I opened the clock application to see the second hand move.
                  If I touch the HDMI cable on the back then the screen becomes distorted. At the same moment windows freezes completely. Click image for larger version

Name:	distortion.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	520016

If I reset it in this state I am unabled to start it again.

If I tap on the HDMI connector then sometimes I can start windows again.

The distortion also happens when I plug a LAN cable or when I tap on the body of the Pipo (or sometimes even when I use the keyboard on my desk and the desk shakes a little bit). I think the small backpanel has some cold solder joints or some of the wire connection between the large and the small boards are bad.

I'm returning both Pipo's to geekbuying for repair.

Link to the full size image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-c...ew?usp=sharing
                  Last edited by jhkn; 08-20-2015, 15:57.

Comment

I noticed that too about touching any of the rear cables. I too got mine from Geekbuying and did notice that the heatsink was partially fastened down and a screw missing from the backplane mount. I wonder if they have sent me a previously returned model :/

Comment

Originally posted by dos_box View Post
                      I noticed that too about touching any of the rear cables. I too got mine from Geekbuying and did notice that the heatsink was partially fastened down and a screw missing from the backplane mount. I wonder if they have sent me a previously returned model :/
                      On my first Pipo the heatsink was completly loose inside. Also one of the screw of the small board was missing.
                      The 64GB is a new modal.

Comment

The video of the distortion.
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-c...ew?usp=sharing

00:12: windows is started and the clock is moving
                        00:20: I am touching the HDMI connector you can see the distortions on the screen. Windows freezes. (The clock doen't work).
                        00:53: The front power button doesn't work anymore.
                        00:59: Just leaning on my desk. The screen becomes distorted.
                        01:13: The front button still doesn't work ;-)
                        01:24: If I press the reset button on the back then the Pipo will reboot.

After this video windows froze again. This time it won't start anymore. I have plugged the cable in and out a few times but it is "bricked" again.
                        Maybe if I try it again a few times I get lucky but I can't use it. If I close the door or a truck drives by, the desk shakes al little bit and the Pipo will freeze again.

PS. This Black Pipo is completely unmodified. I'm using a good quality power supply. I also tested it with a Rigol DP832 bench power supply. I'am really sure that the power supply isn't causing the problem. (I don't use the Chinese ones. Most of them are cheap and dangerous and I just don't trust them.)
                        Last edited by jhkn; 08-20-2015, 17:08.

Comment

Doesn't sound like psu if you have tried several, plus Windows shouldn't lock up even if the HDMI was loose, that sounds like bad connection on the main board, I assume the case is used as an earth (maybe negative rail) wouldn't help having a screw missing, mine is missing a screw on the small board too.

Sounds like poor manufacturing.

Hope they get it all sorted, keep us posted.

Comment

Well, I've tested it with a 12v 4a power supply tonight and no joy. The symptoms still remain. I'll be returning it asap.
                            I really hope someone from Geekbuying pays attention to these forums as it is obvious there is a problem with some of the ones they are sending out which needs addressing.

Comment

After looking around I have found that the altering the BIOS can brick the device to make it behave in the way we have suffered. I should have included that I had been in the BIOS immediately before any of these issues occured, although I didn't change any settings (just haveing a look around).
                              I'm just following the advice on this thread here: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...art-up-anymore and will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Working...
                              X