Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like to use a Minix Neo G4 now (in 2014)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it like to use a Minix Neo G4 now (in 2014)?

I'm currently looking into getting a Minix Neo G4 because I've heard it has the best stock firmware, everything work out of the box and it's based off of the older Rockchip RK3066 that didn't seem to have as many issues as there quad core RK3188. But there doesn't seem to be as many posts about it here and I get the sense that over the time it's been out some things may have changed. So my questions are:

Does Minix Neo G4 still have the best stock firmware? Does the new stock firmware have any issues?
    Is the device still supported by Minix?
    Is their good custom firmware for it? Will that firmware have issues?
    If I update can I still use Netflix?
    Will I have any problems using the Mele F10 Pro with it?
    Are their any problems using a USB Ethernet Adapter with it? Witch one should get?

Are their any problems watching video files from a USB Flash Drive?
    Is it better to have Tronsmart MK808 or Rikomagic MK802IIIS Instead?

Originally posted by Kliptivoz View Post
    I'm currently looking into getting a Minix Neo G4 because I've heard it has the best stock firmware, everything work out of the box and it's based off of the older Rockchip RK3066 that didn't seem to have as many issues as there quad core RK3188. But there doesn't seem to be as many posts about it here and I get the sense that over the time it's been out some things may have changed. So my questions are:

Does Minix Neo G4 still have the best stock firmware? Does the new stock firmware have any issues?
    Is the device still supported by Minix?
    Is their good custom firmware for it? Will that firmware have issues?
    If I update can I still use Netflix?
    Will I have any problems using the Mele F10 Pro with it?
    Are their any problems using a USB Ethernet Adapter with it? Witch one should get?

Are their any problems watching video files from a USB Flash Drive?
    Is it better to have Tronsmart MK808 or Rikomagic MK802IIIS Instead?
    Having a Neo G4 108A, I can tell you that its great. They are still supporting this device and a new firmware should be released really soon according to Minix Facebook.
    Problem is that Neo X5 is almost the same, but its not a stick, its a set top box, has bluetooth and more internal memory, better wifi signal and everyone develops custom firmwares for it and they forget G4 existence. I have asked Finless Bob if he could adapt his X5 firmware to G4 (should be failry easy since its almost same device) but still no answer.
    I havent used Netflix but have used BubbleUPNP and MX Player with 720p content and it works just fine. Also the default stock firmware is really great and stable. I have used it with a generic air mouse and it worked great.

As a G4 user I recommend you Minix Neo X5, as you can plug in a USB Hard Drive without using an external power supply, has better wifi signal, integrated ethernet, bluetooth and more internal memory and it costs a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by ochentay4 View Post
      Having a Neo G4 108A, I can tell you that its great. They are still supporting this device and a new firmware should be released really soon according to Minix Facebook.
      Problem is that Neo X5 is almost the same, but its not a stick, its a set top box, has bluetooth and more internal memory, better wifi signal and everyone develops custom firmwares for it and they forget G4 existence. I have asked Finless Bob if he could adapt his X5 firmware to G4 (should be failry easy since its almost same device) but still no answer.
      I havent used Netflix but have used BubbleUPNP and MX Player with 720p content and it works just fine. Also the default stock firmware is really great and stable. I have used it with a generic air mouse and it worked great.

As a G4 user I recommend you Minix Neo X5, as you can plug in a USB Hard Drive without using an external power supply, has better wifi signal, integrated ethernet, bluetooth and more internal memory and it costs a little more.
      Thank you.

For future reference I found the facebook post you're talking about here:
      Melde dich bei Facebook an, um dich mit deinen Freunden, deiner Familie und Personen, die du kennst, zu verbinden und Inhalte zu teilen.

Ricardo Linhares Sorry for asking here, but will there be an update for Neo G4 for not?
      Yesterday at 3:09am

MINIX Hi Ricardo Linhares, yes there will be. We hoped to have released it already, however it is not possible to yet. We have completed as much of the firmware as we can, and are now waiting on a patch from RockChip (the Chipset Manufacturer). This patch relates to the video playback performance, we hope to release the firmware shortly after receiving the patch.
      11 hrs ยท 1
      I'm happy to see that MINIX supports their products so well and with such craftsmanship. That makes my decision much easier. I would love to see them release a successor to the Neo G4 with the Amlogic S802 quad-core processor (which is used by their Neo X8) someday.

Comment

Well, I just ordered my Neo G4 along with a generic USB HUB/Ethernet Adapter. Can't wait to to try them out.

Comment

Working...
        X