X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% Bloat-Free Ubuntu 14.04 for MK808

100% Bloat-Free Ubuntu for MK808

Download

I was using a version of Picuntu based on Ubuntu 12.10 a while back, but when I fired up my MK808 recently, I realized that the Ubuntu 12.10 repositories are no longer maintained, so I followed the excellent instructions posted by sgjava, and created a custom version of Ubuntu 14.04. Since 14.04 is a long-term release, it should be able to run Ubuntu until 2020, giving our now aging device a new lease on life. It uses olegk0's 3.0.36 kernel, which I have included here as part of this package. I also compiled all the mali drivers, so it does have limited hardware acceleration. It can handle SD content just fine, but don't throw any 1080p video at it unless you fancy a slide show. I tried to keep the UI as minimal as possible, using openbox for the "desktop" and including only the slimmest software with a preference for low-resource, but user friendly-terminal-based applications. The whole file system amounts to a very svelte 2.2GB. Wifi should work out of the box, just click connect under settings on the main menu. C'mon, give it a try. Slap it on a class 10 sd card and boot it on up, I think you'll be surprised at how snappy it is.

The terminal apps and their respective commands are as follows:
    • Lynx Web Browser = lynx
    • Poor Man's Spotify = mps
    • Pi Media Player = pimp
    • Pyradio = pyradio
    • Music on Console = mocp

Passwords
    • yuza = yuza
    • root = root

Intructions
    1. Download the package here.
    2. Connect your device to the PC using the OTG port while pressing the reset button.
    3. Run the included AndroidTools, and it should say device found. If not you may need a driver.
    4. Check the box nex to recovery
    5. Click the box on the far right of the same row and navigate to the recovery.img file located in the folder named "oleg0's 3.0.36 kernel."
    6. Click run to flash the kernel.
    7. Use Win32 Disk Imager or dd to write "mini-ubuntu-mk808img" to a 4GB or larger SD card.
    8. Insert the SD card in to your mk808 and boot it up.
    9. Reboot into recovery with a reboot app or by typing "reboot recovery" into the terminal
    10. You will be automatically logged in as user "yuza."
    11. Type startx if you're into GUIs.

One last note, I have noticed that videos play better with the compositor disabled so you may want to type "killall xcompmgr" into a terminal before playing videos. Also, in the /usr/lib directory there is a symobilc link to libMali.so called libEGL.so.1.4, and there is also a backup of the original library called libEGL.so.1.4.bak. I found that the 3D graphics acceleration tests like es2gears only work when the original libEGL.so.1. is available, but wpa_gui only works when the link to libMali.so is active, so you may need to rename these two files according to your needs, or maybe one of you linux gurus out there can find a way out of this conundrum.
    Last edited by hun-chan; 06-18-2016, 00:14.

Good post, maybe more people will try linux on their device.

Originally posted by hun-chan View Post
    I followed the excellent instructions posted by sgjava, and created a custom version of Ubuntu 14.04.
    I have had that github page bookmarked for a couple months now and am hoping to get ubuntu running on the mk808b as soon as I get a 4gb microsd. This is sgjava's thread on freaktab about ubuntu mini: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...50-Ubuntu-Mini

I only knew of the kernels listed on ubuntu mini github page. I looked up olegk0 and was surprised to see that it is probably the most updated one and there are links to precompiled kernels.

Will this should work on mk808b as well, but without wifi?

Comment

wow that sounds great!

First thank you so much for your work
      Second the link is dead due to high traffic, might consider mirroring it please?
      Third do you have some screenshot of even better a video of it?

Thanks
      Nimo

Comment

nice been a while since i tried linux on these sticks....

dropbox has already stopped letting us download.
        Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Confirmed working with MK808B minus wifi

Yes, I just tried it out in an MK808B and it works, but no wifi. I also tried a couple of usb wifi adapters, chipset rk8188 and rk8188cus, but neither of them worked out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by nimo View Post
            wow that sounds great!

First thank you so much for your work
            Second the link is dead due to high traffic, might consider mirroring it please?
            Third do you have some screenshot of even better a video of it?

Thanks
            Nimo
            The dropbox link should be up and running again for now, but a mirror link will be available soon.
            I will also try to post a link to a short screencast demo, but that might take a while.

Comment

I still get amazed

I still get amazed at work when I download a huge file here. 4 min to download.
              Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Looks great! But wifi does not work for me. Under connect, nothing is displayed. Not work out of the Box? I would like to test this image. Can anyone help pls?
                I have a MK808

Comment

I fixed Wifi on mk808 with the following procedure:

1. Enter terminal and write command: iwconfig (Check if eth1 is active - something like eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS....) If not your case, check module name that has IEEE 802.11-DS in the description.

2. Enter command: sudo pico /etc/network/interfaces or sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
                  3. Find line that start with: auto eth0.
                  4. Change this lines:

auto eth0 ---> auto eth1
                  iface eth0 inet dhcp ---> iface eth1 inet manual
                  Don't edit wpa-roam line.
                  dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 8.8.8.8.8 ---> #dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 8.8.8.8 (comment this line)

5. Save file (Ctrl + X) then Y. sudo reboot

6. Boot Ubuntu 14.04 and check if eth1 is active in wpa_gui.

I hope this help.

Comment

Hi, does anymone know how i can make a driver? Because i get allways an error, that the build folder is empty. Or can someone make me a .ko for this lan adapter ( http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/d...SOURCE.tar.bz2 ) Thanks

Comment

Automatically boot to gui

Hi,

is there a way to automatically boot to a gui at startup? I have installed xfce, hence can start it with startxfce4 after the boot-process is finished. I would like, however, to automatically start the x server.

I tried adding an upstart script executing startxfce4 at runlevel 2, but this results in xfce loading with user root logged in.

Comment

Boot to desktop automatically

Originally posted by bad friend View Post
                        Hi,

is there a way to automatically boot to a gui at startup? I have installed xfce, hence can start it with startxfce4 after the boot-process is finished. I would like, however, to automatically start the x server.

I tried adding an upstart script executing startxfce4 at runlevel 2, but this results in xfce loading with user root logged in.
                        I followed this tutorial at the ArchWiki, and it worked for me. Just add this line:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

to the bottom of ~/.bash_profile.

Comment

I followed this tutorial at the ArchWiki, and it worked for me. Just add this line:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

to the bottom of ~/.bash_profile.
                          Thanks a lot, it works like a charm!
                          The modded file was actually already present, it was just deactivated with a .bak suffix.

Comment

Ubuntu

Download Here!!!

Mirror Link

I was using a version of Picuntu based on Ubuntu 12.10 a while back, but when I fired up my MK808 recently, I realized that the Ubuntu 12.10 repositories are no longer maintained, so I followed the excellent instructions posted by sgjava, and created a custom version of Ubuntu 14.04. Since 14.04 is a long-term release, it should be able to run Ubuntu until 2020, giving our now aging device a new lease on life. It uses olegk0's 3.0.36 kernel, which I have included here as part of this package. I also compiled all the mali drivers, so it does have limited hardware acceleration. It can handle SD content just fine, but don't throw any 1080p video at it unless you fancy a slide show. I tried to keep the UI as minimal as possible, using openbox for the "desktop" and including only the slimmest software with a preference for low-resource, but user friendly-terminal-based applications. The whole file system amounts to a very svelte 2.2GB. Wifi should work out of the box, just click connect under settings on the main menu. C'mon, give it a try. Slap it on a class 10 sd card and boot it on up, I think you'll be surprised at how snappy it is.

• Pi Media Player = pimp
                            • Pyradio = pyradio

Passwords
                            • yuza = yuza
                            • root = root

Intructions
                            2. Connect your device to the PC using the OTG port while pressing the reset button.
                            3. Run the included AndroidTools, and it should say device found. If not you may need a driver.
                            5. Click the box on the far right of the same row and navigate to the recovery.img file located in the folder named "oleg0's 3.0.36 kernel."
                            7. Use Win32 Disk Imager or dd to write "mini-ubuntu-mk808img" to a 4GB or larger SD card.
                            9. Reboot into recovery with a reboot app or by typing "reboot recovery" into the terminal

One last note, I have noticed that videos play better with the compositor disabled so you may want to type "killall xcompmgr" into a terminal before playing videos. Also, in the /usr/lib directory there is a symobilc link to libMali.so called libEGL.so.1.4, and there is also a backup of the original library called libEGL.so.1.4.bak. I found that the 3D graphics acceleration tests like es2gears only work when the original libEGL.so.1. is available, but wpa_gui only works when the link to libMali.so is active, so you may need to rename these two files according to your needs, or maybe one of you linux gurus out there can find a way out of this conundrum.
                            It would be nice for a developer to grab Odroid Ubuntu for the C1 and port to MK808B+. The hardware is almost the same so shouldn't be to hard? Is anyone working on this?

Regards ISO

Comment

Any way to install this if there are linux users out there who don't use Windows?

Download Here!!!

Mirror Link

• Pi Media Player = pimp
                              • Pyradio = pyradio

Passwords
                              • yuza = yuza
                              • root = root

Intructions

Comment

Working...
                              X