Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MK808 is dead?

Hello!

I had a problem today... My MK808 was working ok but I tried to connect on my PC (via OTG). Nothing happened. So i tried to enter in flash mode by pressing the reset button while connect via OTG. This time windows recognizes that there are something plugged in, but says the device is unknown, so I gave up and connected again my MK808 on my TV. Now the Android logo freezes and I'm unable to use the device...

What's wrong? I could not install any new rom/FW. In fact i did nothing, only i tried to connect the MK808 on my PC unsuccessful.

There are any solution?

Originally posted by derekwildstar View Post
    windows recognizes that there are something plugged in, but says the device is unknown
    This is normal when you do not have the drivers installed. The drivers and full instructions on how to install them are included in the Finless ROM package.

Also, it is important to identify which model mk808 you have before you flash. If your model is a clone, it might not be compatible with some custom firmware. Check the identifying clones thread (sticky). If no custom roms are available for your model, you might need to hope someone has uploaded the original firmware for it. The small button also works to boot the device into recovery mode, so while it's connected to the TV, you can try holding the button down with a paperclip as you connect the power cord --- this probably will not fix the problem, I think you may need to reflash.

Last thing to mention --- Windows 8 and 8.1 are very difficult to use to flash. I spent some hours following instructions about flashing in Win 8, but I still couldn't get it to work. In Win 7, it always works. If you only have Win 8/8.1 you can try instructions from here: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...r-windows-8-1/ but I recommend to use Win 7 if possible.

Comment

I think normal

Comment

Originally posted by Bueno View Post
        This is normal when you do not have the drivers installed. The drivers and full instructions on how to install them are included in the Finless ROM package.

Also, it is important to identify which model mk808 you have before you flash. If your model is a clone, it might not be compatible with some custom firmware. Check the identifying clones thread (sticky). If no custom roms are available for your model, you might need to hope someone has uploaded the original firmware for it. The small button also works to boot the device into recovery mode, so while it's connected to the TV, you can try holding the button down with a paperclip as you connect the power cord --- this probably will not fix the problem, I think you may need to reflash.

Last thing to mention --- Windows 8 and 8.1 are very difficult to use to flash. I spent some hours following instructions about flashing in Win 8, but I still couldn't get it to work. In Win 7, it always works. If you only have Win 8/8.1 you can try instructions from here: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...r-windows-8-1/ but I recommend to use Win 7 if possible.
        Hello my friend...

Thanks for your help. Before I take the actions you suggest, I need to say that on my attempts to fix my problem I saw the Android Recovery Menu on TV because i clicked the "reset" button while powering on the device, but, how to navigate trough this menu?? There are no Powe Button or volume up/down to use LOL

If you know how to navigate on this menu I will try do a factory reset. I'll now check your another recomendations

Thank you

Comment

I use a USB keyboard. If one USB port does not work, try a different one. Also, you probably need to have the keyboard connected before powering on the mk808. People say you can also use a mouse to navigate... I think right-click and left-click are switched, though.

Comment

I use a USB keyboard. If one USB port does not work, try a different one. Also, you probably need to have the keyboard connected before powering on the mk808. People say you can also use a mouse to navigate... I think right-click and left-click are switched, though.
            Hello! I've tried to use my wireless keyboard+mouse to navigate, but i guess they only works inside OS. Well, how did I not thought use my USB keyboard? hehe :/

Good news... I've done the reflash on Windows 7 at my workplace and everything is fine now, but later I will try Windows 8, using the links provided by you! Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by derekwildstar View Post
              Hello! I've tried to use my wireless keyboard+mouse to navigate, but i guess they only works inside OS. Well, how did I not thought use my USB keyboard? hehe :/

Good news... I've done the reflash on Windows 7 at my workplace and everything is fine now, but later I will try Windows 8, using the links provided by you! Thank you so much!
              You are welcome. You might have better luck using a wired usb keyboard to navigate the recovery menu. I think I use the full sized usb port (rather than using the smaller ports with the adapter cable).

Comment

You are welcome. You might have better luck using a wired usb keyboard to navigate the recovery menu. I think I use the full sized usb port (rather than using the smaller ports with the adapter cable).

Well, i guess I celebrated too early... At home, the initial screen of Finless 2.1 ROM has appeared. The device starts, but very slow. I tried to configure some things, but suddenly the screen became white and the device freeze

I tried power off/on... Same thing happened. I tried to reflash again (successfully again), but now the mk808 does not boot. The initial Finless screen appears, but the screen is black.

There are some help for me?? :/

Comment

UPDATE!!

I tryed to connect the MK on another HDMI port and i can see that on this port (with MHL support) the boot screen seems to appear correctly, but the device do not boot...

Comment

Make sure you are powering the device with a good power source. The wall adapter that is included with the mk808 is known to be a major cause of problems. I connect my mk808b to my TV usb port, but even this is not recommended because some TVs do not provide enough power.

Did you read the .txt included in Finless ROM package? It might be possible that you did not do all of the steps required to flash properly.

There is a small chance that your device is defective and you might need to return it, if possible. If you have a clone device that finless ROM does not support, this problem could be related to that --- but the only way to tell if you have a clone is to open the device, which could void the warranty. You can also try contacting the company you ordered this from to see if they have the original firmware that they can send you.

Comment

Hi! Here comes the answers...

Make sure you are powering the device with a good power source. The wall adapter that is included with the mk808 is known to be a major cause of problems. I connect my mk808b to my TV usb port, but even this is not recommended because some TVs do not provide enough power.
                      Yes! I used the power source that came with mk808, after that, thinking the problem could be the power source I tried to connect directly on USB port of TV: same results. After that, I used another power source with USB ports providing 2.1A and the same problem again :/

Did you read the .txt included in Finless ROM package? It might be possible that you did not do all of the steps required to flash properly.
                      Yes! I read all the step by step, including the one that said to erase NAND before flash the new rom. I guess this is not the problem, because 1 or 2 times I got into OS normally. After some freezes the device became 100% unstable and do not boot anymore

There is a small chance that your device is defective and you might need to return it, if possible. If you have a clone device that finless ROM does not support, this problem could be related to that --- but the only way to tell if you have a clone is to open the device, which could void the warranty. You can also try contacting the company you ordered this from to see if they have the original firmware that they can send you.
                      Well, I suppose that my device is out of warranty, so this would not be a problem. I will do another try with another rom tonight. This one http://vondroid.com/resources/mk808-.../#.VD5pqPnwK2E

I'll say later what happened...

THX

Comment

Hello everybody...

I'm here to say that my MK808 is officially dead I tried everything, another roms, another TVs and the device does not work anymore, at least not work as should.

Thank you all for the time spent on try to help me...

Comment

^You may try this, if you want: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...D-on-the-MK808

If NAND gets corrupted or you flash another ROM with a loader not made for it, it can screw up NAND and from that point on you will get erased IDB problems, it wont flash properly and give errors, or a host of ROM flashing issues.
                          If you buy a new device, I think if you get an Amazon Fire TV and root it, it will be great for XBMC. It's more expensive, but has much more capable hardware.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for the tip...

I decided to use my Inspiron 14R as "Smart TV". This notebook was sub utilized And I need to save money because I'm buying my first house

Thank you again

Comment

Just been looking over this topic and i had a problem with my MK808 for a couple of weeks, it started off with the loading screen freaking out on me (i'm using finless 1.7) then when it did load up everytime i would click the browser of xbmc it would freak out and close back to the desktop, i tried new power plug with no luck, even tried to connect it to the pc but no luck, so long story short it was in fact the usb cable to the plug and unit, i was lucky to have one on spare that had never been used and now it works like a champ, maybe you could try to find a replacement cable and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X