Upgrade decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade decision

So, I currently have a set top box that I built out of a UG802, powered usb hub, and a few adapters. It works very well, but I made sure that I designed it so that should I ever want to upgrade it is easy to swap out the UG802 with any other stick I want. Now that there are a few options available with the RK3188, and now that there is progress being made with the video frame-rate issues, do you guys think it would be worth it to buy a new stick? The CX-919 is available for under $80 and I think it would be my choice.

Honestly I would wait a while, although the bugs maybe being ironed I'm my opinion the hardware has design floors, check out bobs video here

Ive had the mk808 (3066) and then the mk908 (3188) the 3188 chip just gets too hot and needs some better cooling than whats currently provided inside those small cases, If its just 720p or non intensive tasks you may get away with it but unfortunately if you drive it a little too hard or even 1080p then it can easily overheat. ( I can confirm that through testing )

Comment

Heat issues

Heat issues don't scare me too much. I have plenty of room in my box to for heat sinks. The UG802 I have now isn't in its case and I have heat sinks on it.

Comment

Ah so you know then, Well if you cooled you're 802 you'll definitely need to cool a 3188 until the companies build units with adequate sinks in.

Comment

Working...
        X