RK3188 tun.ko for VPN support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3188 tun.ko for VPN support

Is there a tun.ko kernel module that works with the RK3188? I have tried all the ROMs for the MK908 to no avail. This is crucial for OpenVPN users.
    Last edited by DigiDAD; 07-12-2013, 20:18.

Re: RK3188 tun.ko for VPN support?

Here is a discussion of compiling the kernel with TUN enabled:

Bob, Can you please incorporate this in your next MK908 firmware?

VPN support is a real nice-to-have for us Canadian folk.

Thanks for your work!

Comment

Re: RK3188 tun.ko for VPN support

Originally posted by DigiDAD View Post
      Here is a discussion of compiling the kernel with TUN enabled:

Bob, Can you please incorporate this in your next MK908 firmware?

VPN support is a real nice-to-have for us Canadian folk.

Thanks for your work!
      It is also nice if you are not Canadian. Nice all around actually.

+1

Signature? Signature!

Comment

I have managed to install a tun.ko module on my Cozyswan S400 (Momi M1 clone) and got it working by doing the following: 1. Obtain Easy Open VPN Config app. This will list all that is necessary to start VPN tunnelling successfully. Until all things are checked green a VPN will not open properly. 2. You will notice from this app that a tun.ko module is needed. This can be got via an app called tun.ko installer. Downloading this app will present you with an option of downloading you needed tun.ko by using a set of filters to successfully locate what you need. This is a bit hit or miss but with some luck someone has uploaded the tun.ko module you need. 3. You can then also download CIFS manager to allow the tun.ko to load upon subsequent startups of your Android Stick (otherwise you have to redownload it every time). You will need to google this as its too much for me to remember here and is also optional if you don't mind using tun.ko to download it each time you use it. 4.Obtain you vpn binary. Again there's a link in open vpn config that will lead you to the app for this. Just download and your ready to go. 5. Once this is done all items on the vpn checklist in easy open vpn config should be at green status. 6. Using any vpn app like hotspot shield, easy open vpn connect or hideninja vpn will give a green connection. HERES THE PROBLEM: hulu, the CW, Watch ABC, Syfy ect will get access to the website but streaming video is still a no go. Whats the problem? Not sure. As mentioned on this forum it could be DRM, HDMI out being blocked, vpn issues (although your got all the components doesn't mean to say they are correct and working like they should), your device not being listed as compatible for these apps. BLAH BLAH BLAH!! We just have to be patient and hope someone can figure this out that has the knowhow! Sadly I don't!

Comment

Originally posted by erinshore79 View Post
          I have managed to install a tun.ko module on my Cozyswan S400 (Momi M1 clone) and got it working by doing the following: 1. Obtain Easy Open VPN Config app. This will list all that is necessary to start VPN tunnelling successfully. Until all things are checked green a VPN will not open properly. 2. You will notice from this app that a tun.ko module is needed. This can be got via an app called tun.ko installer. Downloading this app will present you with an option of downloading you needed tun.ko by using a set of filters to successfully locate what you need. This is a bit hit or miss but with some luck someone has uploaded the tun.ko module you need. 3. You can then also download CIFS manager to allow the tun.ko to load upon subsequent startups of your Android Stick (otherwise you have to redownload it every time). You will need to google this as its too much for me to remember here and is also optional if you don't mind using tun.ko to download it each time you use it. 4.Obtain you vpn binary. Again there's a link in open vpn config that will lead you to the app for this. Just download and your ready to go. 5. Once this is done all items on the vpn checklist in easy open vpn config should be at green status. 6. Using any vpn app like hotspot shield, easy open vpn connect or hideninja vpn will give a green connection. HERES THE PROBLEM: hulu, the CW, Watch ABC, Syfy ect will get access to the website but streaming video is still a no go. Whats the problem? Not sure. As mentioned on this forum it could be DRM, HDMI out being blocked, vpn issues (although your got all the components doesn't mean to say they are correct and working like they should), your device not being listed as compatible for these apps. BLAH BLAH BLAH!! We just have to be patient and hope someone can figure this out that has the knowhow! Sadly I don't!

Yesterday I managed to install "OpenVPN Setting" from the Google Play, run this app before the OpenVpn client, On your left hand side, "Only click" the Andriod 4.2 and install the tunnel module.. After the installation, go back to OPenVpn client, in the general setting click the allowing install tunnel (root access needed). then you can do the usual OPenVPN login. The only issue is after reboot the device, I had to go thru this whole process again. Apparently, after reboot the tun.ko module was deleted? Just dont know why...
          BTW, forgot to mention I had installed busybox too...

Comment

How to get a tun.ko working on your TV Stick.

[HOW-TO] VPN working on your TV Stick [tun.ko module] (solution by Veronica at equiso forum)

I suspected that most TV sticks did not include the tun.ko module in their kernel natively so you must get a compatible tun.ko module for VPN to work.
            I took a look at the tun.ko repository database and i saw that there was a tun.ko for my particular model (similar/same hardware?)

Anyways here are the steps i followed to have a working VPN:

1. Download DroidVPN , Hotspot Shield VPN or the VPN app of your preference from the Google Play (e.g Hideninja VPN or EasyOpen VPN)
            2. Download TUN.ko Installer and CIFS Manager apps
            3. Open tun.ko app, then tick Model: eg. Smart TV (leave the other 2 ticked) and finally press INSTALL button.
            You can also download the file tun.ko if you need it.
            Once done you'll see the following:
            Image has been scaled down 34% (850x479). Click this bar to view original image (1280x720). Click image to open in new window.

4. Open CIFS Manager, press menu button and select settings. Once there tick Load via insmod and modify the PATH as follows (make sure its written exactly I mistakenly put in ; before the sd path instead of : and it didn't load up properly on restart of device!)
            Image has been scaled down 34% (850x479). Click this bar to view original image (1280x720). Click image to open in new window.

If you go back to menu >> About.. >> Modules you will see all the Loaded Modules:

After that you won't have issues with tun.ko module not loading and Hotspot Shield or whatever VPN you use will work just fine.

5. Now open the VPN app that you downloaded (in this example i used Hotspot Shield), create an account if neccesary then START the VPN connection:

6. DONE! you can now almost use Pandora, Hulu, The CW or any other service that require an US IP address. There is still DRM issues to be overcome and encrypted htlm streams. So although this VPN is now working getting your streams to work isn't over by a long shot!

~ V

Comment

Can someone give me a link to a tun.ko compiled for 3.0.36+ kernel.
              I will include it in all ROMs.

Bob
              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju Å¡to čine"
              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Bob

tun.ko and btusb.ko in this zip
                REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                My devices:
                Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                Gearbest.com)
                MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Do you need both of those for VPN to work? I have only been putting in the tun.ko

Sent from my GT-I9100
                  Randy
                  Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                  Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                    Do you need both of those for VPN to work? I have only been putting in the tun.ko

Sent from my GT-I9100
                    No need both only tun.ko

Btusb.ko is for usb Bluetooth but not fully functional, at least I can't make work usb dongle. I compiled both for lewy yesterday.

leolas
                    My devices:
                    Gearbest.com)
                    Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my GT-I9100
                      Randy
                      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                        Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my GT-I9100
                        pleased if it help.

leolas
                        My devices:
                        Gearbest.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Bob
                          Thanks Bob! We appreciate it.

Any plans for a new MK908 ROM anytime soon?

DigiDAD

Comment

Thank you! I will try it.

Comment

I have a Minix Neo X7 with the finless 1.6 Rom. Which Tun.ko file would work for me please?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X