Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any instructions for using a livesuit unpacker to build a modified stock ROM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any instructions for using a livesuit unpacker to build a modified stock ROM?

I'm sitting here with my old polaroid PMID702C with the infuriatingly slow stock browser. But the No-root v3 OTA blocks my ability to write to the external SD card from non-system apps.

So, I'd like to take the last update, and create 2 versions of it:
    1) No root, but any app with internal SD card access can access the external SD card.
    2) Full root, everything else.

I found a livesuite unpacker/repacker, and have a grunch of iso, fex, etc., files, but I don't know where to go from there. Any pointers? I need to have a non-rooted tablet to work with a corporate app, so, i'd much rather see what I can do with my old PMID 702C...

Originally posted by tronmech View Post
    I'm sitting here with my old polaroid PMID702C with the infuriatingly slow stock browser. But the No-root v3 OTA blocks my ability to write to the external SD card from non-system apps.

So, I'd like to take the last update, and create 2 versions of it:
    1) No root, but any app with internal SD card access can access the external SD card.
    2) Full root, everything else.

I found a livesuite unpacker/repacker, and have a grunch of iso, fex, etc., files, but I don't know where to go from there. Any pointers? I need to have a non-rooted tablet to work with a corporate app, so, i'd much rather see what I can do with my old PMID 702C...
    you know they have apps in the google play store that 'hide' root status to applications, right?
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Yes, but if the mobile endpoint management tool folks did their jobs (and since the tool wasn't written by my employer, I'd bet they did) I really don't want to be on the wrong side of the sh-storm that would happen if I was found to be using a root hider like the stuff available for xposed and cydia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tronmech View Post
        Yes, but if the mobile endpoint management tool folks did their jobs (and since the tool wasn't written by my employer, I'd bet they did) I really don't want to be on the wrong side of the sh-storm that would happen if I was found to be using a root hider like the stuff available for xposed and cydia.

the system.fex is the ROM where you modify things....

Take a look at these guides...should get you up and running:

As most of you are aware, the stock rom tarball is comprised of several .img files which don't seem to be of any file system format and it is difficult at first to see what is inside these files without flashing via Odin. Well, thanks to fguy...

still don't understand why you don't just use the stock ROM if you want a 'non-root' version though...
        https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

The stock rom won't let non system apps write to the external SD. So I need to hack it so I don't need to root it.

Comment

If I wanted to replace the recovery with cwm.... I'll look more closely and see based on the miniand instructions work out.

Comment

Working...
            X