This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMPORTANT: Switching back to Jellybean from KitKat

I'm very happy with all of the KitKat ROM's I've done so far for the Pipo tablets I own. I like the increased performance and don't really care about the missing features that much. But occasionally, I've needed to flash back to Jellybean to test something. Other users aren't quite satisfied with the early versions of KitKat and after a few hours or days, want to return to a more stable Jellybean ROM for everyday use.

If you try the KitKat ROM for your tablet and decide it isn't quite what you want to continue working with, you CAN go back to Jellybean, but you risk bricking your tablet in the process. I've worked through several brick situations, myself...by accident and on purpose in order to work out the process of reviving your tablet.

Thanks to Finless, who has done quite a bit more testing than I have...we've discovered a process that will keep you from bricking your tablet if you decide to revert back to Jellybean from a KitKat ROM.

As I've mentioned exhaustively throughout these threads, the LOADER is a very important component that makes everything work correctly in both versions of Android. The KitKat loader includes support for the new metadata partition. Because of this, the KitKat loader isn't compatible with the Jellybean loader, and I've repeated several times that you MUST FLASH THE LOADER for both versions unless you are flashing a ROM of the same Android version you currently have installed on your device. For example, if you upgrade to a KitKat ROM, you only need to flash the loader the first time. Future KitKat updates will use the same loader, so you don't need to flash it every time (unless I tell you to do so on a particular ROM...because the loader versions also change between ROM's sometimes).

The loader isn't the only component that is important. Also, the parameter is VERY important, because it tells the loader.bin what partitions to create and their sizes. The flash tool actually reads the parameter file to guide it through the process of erasing IDB from the very beginning.

Finless has discovered that we must use the parameter file from the CURRENTLY INSTALLED ROM to ERASE IDB. If you use the Flash Tool from the Jellybean ROM to erase IDB (NAND) before you flash back to Jellybean from KitKat, the Flash Tool will use the parameter file from the Jellybean ROM to low level format the partitions. This causes an incomplete format, because the Jellybean parameter file doesn't include the Metadata partition on the list. Doing it this way can cause your tablet to brick. YOU MUST do the ERASE IDB (NAND) step with the KitKat ROM Flash Tool with the parameter file for the KitKat ROM checked.

So, here are the steps necessary to prevent you from bricking your tablet when going back to Jellybean from KitKat:

EDIT: I've revised these steps to make them clear

1) Run the flash tool on the 4.4.2 ROM (KitKat). The same ROM you have installed on your device that you want to get rid of.
    2) Boot to Flash Mode and Erase NAND. (Make sure you are erasing from the KK Flash Tool...this is VERY IMPORTANT)
    3) Close the KitKat Flash Tool and now run the Flash Tool from the 4.2.2 (Jellybean) or 4.1 whatever ROM.
    4) Make sure you have the loader.bin file checked on the JB ROM. It's usually unchecked by default.
    5.)DO NOT erase NAND again. Just flash the whole JB ROM.
    6.) It may hang on first boot. That's OK. Just get your tablet back into flash mode and follow the whole flashing procedure again with the JB ROM...including erasing IDB.

I'm putting this notification in the Pipo section, because that's the majority of ROM's that I've done with KitKat, but it will also work with any Rockchip device you currently have KitKat installed and you want to switch back to Jellybean.

Thanks to Finless for making this discovery and sharing it with the Freaktab Development Team.

Every day I read posts from people going back and forth between KitKat and Jellybean. You may not have bricked your tablet, but you may have encountered some odd results with your Jellybean ROM afterwards. This is because you didn't completely erase IDB. I recommend that you go back and perform this process and see if it solves some of your problems.
    Last edited by rrileypm; 06-21-2014, 03:41.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Thanks for your explanation Randy.
    But let me verify if I understand right. The flash tool will be the "ROM_Flash_Tool_137.exe" in both times.
    But the difference are the different parameters in the "config.cfg" file. Right??

Comment

That's correct. It's just easier to explain...and do...if you just run the flash tool for each of the involved ROM kits. The parameter file loads when you start the tool, so just run the KitKat tool first...then run the Jellybean tool. It's the same tool, just different parameter settings.
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Excellent explanation. Thank you for the effort.
        Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
        Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
        Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
        Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
        CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
        Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
        RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Sorry to ask, but will that info also work on Minix x7? Read about some ppl that do have alot of problems switch between kk and jb there..

Didnt try my self, but now i maybe will! :-)
          Just dont need to brick my device..

Comment

BACK TO 4.2.2 JELLY BEAN

TOOL USED TO DELETE THE BID ON BOTH ROMS ROM FLASH IS THE TOLL finless? RK BATCH NO TOLL HAS THE OPTION ERASE NAND IDB ... HAVE INSTALLED IN MY PIPO M9 PRO 3G 4.4.2 ROM KIT KAST SITE BAIXADA ARCTABLETS BUT INTEND TO RETURN TO JELLY BEAN STOCK ROM 4.2.2 DUE TO iNCOMPATIBILITY OF SOME GAMES IN KASTY 4.4.2

Comment

OK I understand the process but if I want to go back from Riley rom kk2.6 to stock rom ( PiPO M9pro_software_OTA_3G&wifi_chinese&english_2014-03-06.) that is only a img file, what's are the steps I've got to follow?

Enviado desde mi M9Pro mediante Tapatalk

Comment

In my opinion these are the steps you've to follow:
                1) Run the flash tool on the 4.4.2 ROM (KitKat)

2) Erase NAND.
                3) Close the "KitKat" Flash Tool and now run the RK-Batch Tool to flash the Stock-ROM from *.img file.
                4) Select the FW path and just flash by using the "Restore" button.

Comment

That's correct.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

upgrade to 1.8 kit kat

When we flash RR 1.8 (from RR 1.6) do we have to erase the NAND with the flash tool and parameter file from the 1.6 rom first? ... and then flash the kit kat rom?

Comment

Originally posted by r0llingmuffin View Post
                      When we flash RR 1.8 (from RR 1.6) do we have to erase the NAND with the flash tool and parameter file from the 1.6 rom first? ... and then flash the kit kat rom?
                      To update from JB to kitkat there is no need to do it, is only when you downgrade from kitkat to JB.

If you have JB and you want to upgrade to kitkat you can use the normal procedure.
                      If you have kitkat and you want to downgrade to JB then you need to open kitkat flash probram, rease idb and then open the program to flash JB.

leolas
                      REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                      My devices:
                      Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                      MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                      Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                      Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                      Gearbest.com)
                      MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                      Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                        To update from JB to kitkat there is no need to do it, is only when you downgrade from kitkat to JB.

If you have JB and you want to upgrade to kitkat you can use the normal procedure.
                        If you have kitkat and you want to downgrade to JB then you need to open kitkat flash probram, rease idb and then open the program to flash JB.

leolas
                        ok ... thanks.

Comment

Re: IMPORTANT: Switching back to Jellybean from KitKat

Originally posted by uli-hh View Post
                          In my opinion these are the steps you've to follow:
                          1) Run the flash tool on the 4.4.2 ROM (KitKat)

2) Erase NAND.
                          3) Close the "KitKat" Flash Tool and now run the RK-Batch Tool to flash the Stock-ROM from *.img file.
                          4) Select the FW path and just flash by using the "Restore" button.
                          OK thanks. Thanks very much

Enviado desde mi M9Pro mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Another question about going from KK to JB

So for example, let's say I was currently was on M9 Pro RileyROM 2.6b KitKat and wanted to try M9 Pro RileyROM 2.5.2 JB.

The steps would be:

1) Run the 1.37 Flash Tool from the RileyROM 2.6b download
                            2) Click "Erase NAND"...wait for it to finish and then exit the KitKat 1.37 Flash Tool.
                            3) Run the 1.37 Flash Tool from the RileyROM 2.5.2 JB download
                            4) Don't "Erase NAND", but check/add the "Loader" option and then click "Flash ROM".

Is that the correct steps?

Sorry if I'm being a little redundant here, but I've read that you needed to change the "Loader" in the original post, but that really hadn't been mentioned much since.

Thanks!

LDN

Comment

Yes, that's the correct procedure.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X