Some dumb noobie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some dumb noobie questions

I've had my 701li for about a week and a half now and I love the thing. The only problems I've noted are the wifi turning off and I think I fixed that with Auto Airplane by Don, and the battery meter seems unreliable at best.

On the other hand, considering this is my first encounter with a tablet I want to remove a bunch of the junk, twitter, facebook, kayak, moviefone etc... but I haven't a clue how. For example with Twitter I can get to a screen that allows me to "Force Stop" and "Disable" and then I get a warning that attempting to disable a built in app may cause other things to misbehave.

If I'm understanding this, it can't be removed? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally I don't suppose there's a website somewhere devoted to Polaroid tablets? I've tried looking and came up dry.

-bob

Originally posted by Bobmin View Post
    I've had my 701li for about a week and a half now and I love the thing. The only problems I've noted are the wifi turning off and I think I fixed that with Auto Airplane by Don, and the battery meter seems unreliable at best.

On the other hand, considering this is my first encounter with a tablet I want to remove a bunch of the junk, twitter, facebook, kayak, moviefone etc... but I haven't a clue how. For example with Twitter I can get to a screen that allows me to "Force Stop" and "Disable" and then I get a warning that attempting to disable a built in app may cause other things to misbehave.

If I'm understanding this, it can't be removed? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally I don't suppose there's a website somewhere devoted to Polaroid tablets? I've tried looking and came up dry.

-bob
    Some preinstalled "bloatware" can't be uninstalled easily out of the box. However installing software like root explorer etc can allow you to easily delete this "system" apps.

On the 701C running Polaroid's ICS operating system (the same one your tablet uses) I can easily delete apps like Twitter etc. by just going to Appmanager then tapping "all in the upper right hand corner" and then tapping on the app I want to delete. Twitter shows me the "uninstall" button in the upper right hand corner on the same screen with force close etc. you mentioned. I just tap that and the app uninstalls.

Doesn't your tablet work the same way? If not then you may need an app like "RootExplorer" to mount allow you to uninstall them.

Comment

As for a website dedicated to Polaroid tablets I don't think there is one other than the paltry official Southern Telecom "support" page .

So far this site you are on right now is THE site for information on these Polaroid tablets!

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
        Some preinstalled "bloatware" can't be uninstalled easily out of the box. However installing software like root explorer etc can allow you to easily delete this "system" apps.

On the 701C running Polaroid's ICS operating system (the same one your tablet uses) I can easily delete apps like Twitter etc. by just going to Appmanager then tapping "all in the upper right hand corner" and then tapping on the app I want to delete. Twitter shows me the "uninstall" button in the upper right hand corner on the same screen with force close etc. you mentioned. I just tap that and the app uninstalls.

Doesn't your tablet work the same way? If not then you may need an app like "RootExplorer" to mount allow you to uninstall them.
        Like I pointed out. this is my first tablet. I haven't seen anything like root explorer on the system, but I'll see if I can find and install it.

Thanks
        -bob

Comment

Like I pointed out. this is my first tablet. I haven't seen anything like root explorer on the system, but I'll see if I can find and install it.

Thanks
          -bob
          No worries! My 701C is my first tablet too and I'm JUST learning as well. "Root Explorer" isn't on the tablet . It's a 3rd party application you'll need to download from a place like Google Play/market or the Amazon Appstore. You could also grab this version here which should work just fine:

(you need to download the above file on your pc, extract it and then transfer it to your tablet before installing it.)

As I've said on my 701C running the same operating system I can easily just go to "AppManager" from the home screen. Then I tap on the preinstalled app I want to uninstall and then tap "uninstall". I think it's so easy for me because the 701C Android 4.0 ICS software is pre-rooted.

Basically you need to be "rooted" to delete some of those preinstalled apps from the factory. Basically it's just a fancy way of saying you need to gain access to protected system files the manufacturer hides from you. An app like "Root Explorer" (or something similar) will allow you to have access to those files and should allow you to delete most of the factory apps you don't want.

Titanium Backup FREE also has a function built in that allows you to uninstall most preinstalled bloatware. Again you'll have to obtain it from a market like Google Play, Amazon or find the Titanium Backup apk file online and transfer it to your tablet via USB cable or Micro SD.

There are other apps that you can download via places like Google Play or Amazon Appstore to also help make the job easier for you.

Comment

Thanks
            -bob
            With the tablet Browser go to 1mobile.com and download their app. The 1Mobile Market app will allow you to down most of the free apps that you would normally need the Goolgle Play store to download. With the 1Mobile Market app, download ES File Explorer (it is free). Use File Manager to go to the download folder and install ES File Explorer. It can backup, uninstall and restore system apps. I've not done this myself though.

Jim

Comment

On some of those apps, next to the stop application is an uninstall button. You can try that and see. Good luck!
              Tablets: Polaroid PMID 701i, PMID 4311, Zeki 10" tablet

"God Loves You"- Arlo Guthrie

Comment

Another simple problem for you experts!? ..

ok.. how in the he%! do you get the original (earth/space) wallpaper back after you download a new wallpaper? Did not download to gallery, just set as wallpaper, the new one that is... but now I don't see a way to get back the orig stock wallpaper in settings or wallpaper screens .. please advise and thanks!
                Last edited by sueetch; 05-25-2012, 04:46. Reason: orig not clear

Comment

Working...
                X