K-R42 UPGRADED TO OFFICIAL UBUNTU 13.10 SAUCY LINUX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-R42 UPGRADED TO OFFICIAL UBUNTU 13.10 SAUCY LINUX

The picture above was taken on my K-R42 using a tool called snapshot,any way i have been working day and night litteraly for 3 to 4 days without any sleep at times,adding in commands and all sorts in a attempt to get ubuntu 13.10 saucy which is a flavour (a version of a linux operating system) so i can have an up to date distribution of linux on my K-r42 android tv box,and well i have succeeded in doing that at long last.

The difference from upgrading is phenominal,the system handles the browser near flawlessly and in a timely fashion now,you can scroll far faster,open/install and surf through your appications and menus far quicker than before.The difference is simply astounding.

I shall come back and make a tutorial on the installation process, i have to say that it is hard work long winded, and that it involves a hell of a lot of repairing this and that and installing this in that to make good any fixes to help carry out the install.

All of this takes absolutely hours to accomplish as the installation is coming off a server and needs to be unpacked and then installed the terminal simply trickles along for hours applying various files to make good an upgrade to ubuntu.Abit like upgrading a windows os from an upgrade disc except using the ubuntu server as the disc.

The cons:

You will loose all if not most of the functionality of searching and commanding the terminal at 1st, all will appear futile and the installation will appear screwed.Do not worry it is fine after work with command is applied

Also you will not see any ubuntu software present,hoping that can be ammended by someone else in the future

And you will not be ableto backup using the inbuilt backup tool,it does work and attempts the job,but after a period it stays on a usb wakeup command? This is where my expertise is limited,i hope this to can be fixed by someone else in the future,i did notice it lost internet after this backup attempt was made,and it prevents searching of wireless networks.

I'LL BE BACK

I will be coming back and letting you know how to accomplish this in the very near future guys, so if you stay tuned for an update,or i may create a thread on this for you as apposed to writing in this thread,as the titles won't be ovious otherwise.

Other than the cons guys it appears to me as a npoob to be 100% operational and understands the packages and commands,also i inadvertantly reactivated the missing copy/paste optiom to the terminal again.

P.S : If you open the screenshot by clicking on it and then click the little magnifier symbol,that is located bottom right once you click obn the picture to open it up,you can magnify again a second time to read the command window (terminal) better,you clearly see my version number of ubuntu on my K-R42,you can tell it's a K-R42 installation as it is stating info in the lines of writing (code) that shows .armhf amd as i understand it .armhf files are the files for arm processors,so clearly this is no joke i am telling you.
    What is the world if you don't explore?

wow! will also work on T-R42?

Comment

Great work! Is Ubuntu anything close to snappy? Or is it very slow? This could be a nice RasPi alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by quazar View Post
        Great work! Is Ubuntu anything close to snappy? Or is it very slow? This could be a nice RasPi alternative...
        Have a look at pro/cons
        HOW TO INSTALL UBUNTU 13.10 SAUCY SALAMANDER ON K-R42
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by kayak1987 View Post
          Generally yes, but
          Picuntu on T-R42 - support for LAN/WiFi

For K-R42 WiFi use this kernel (support for rtl8188etv and rtl8188eu)...

and generally for both, it seems so there isn't any LAN support at the moment (perhaps because of RTL8201F and the k29_vmac.ko)...

PS:
          But it seems so there exist another Linux distribution that support the LAN... ???

and the following posts...
          If someone get this kernel working with LAN, please response this...
          Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 02-17-2014, 13:34.
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
            Generally yes, but
            Picuntu on T-R42 - support for LAN/WiFi

For K-R42 WiFi use this kernel (support for rtl8188etv and rtl8188eu)...

and generally for both, it seems so there isn't any LAN support at the moment (perhaps because of RTL8201F and the k29_vmac.ko)...

Thank you so much, I'll try to install and give feedback asap

Comment

If picuntu works then i wouldn't see an issue with it working,as all it does when upgrading from picuntu is attach to the ubuntu server and the server passes down the files it see's as the best possible candidate that can be found.

Comment

Ok mate cheers,if you can get back and let people know the pros and cons etc or if it even works with an alternative model etc,then it gives people more idea of what the limitations are or what if any problems it may have.

Comment

Your more than welcome as is everyone using the method,but yeah if you could pass on your experiences to assist then that would be appreciated a lot,thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by quazar View Post
                    Things as in scrolling webpages and opening and basically simple use as an operati ng system is quite an improvement over none-upgraded picuntu,but not taking anything away from picuntu,as if it wasn't for being able to use picuntu none of us even i could get the upgrades,so all praise goes to the guys that help people like me to even contemplate trying to get anywhere with linux on a android tv box or stick.I'd also like to give my thanks to no_spam_for_me as he has assisted me continualy in my efforts with backing up and in resolving certain questions pertaining to my unit running linux.But to the point yes it's an alround more fluent and smooth running os after upgrades.

Comment

In all likely hood yes provided you can get the kernel for it and run picuntu on that model tv box, but because i do not own that particular tv box,i do request from people that they please leave info on their experience trying it out on other models,so people know it can be done.

Comment

Actually I'm having some trouble..

Following the guide in the other discussion, the first thing I've to do is install, the lewy's 1.2.0 HFW, and there's the first problem, it seems not working on T-R42..

Probably I made some mistake.. but aftet the tool finishes the flash, the T-42 power up but no video output.
                        For example, I jump over this step that I don't understand what means..

#NFS Share mount

#mount your share using terminal with this command (edit to mach your share) or edit 05NFS script in init.d folder:

su
                        mkdir /mnt/nfs
                        busybox mount -o rw,intr,soft,nolock 192.168.1.102:/mnt/HD/HD_a2 /mnt/nfs
                        I'm sorry i'm very ignorant...

Comment

Actually I'm having some trouble..

Following the guide in the other discussion, the first thing I've to do is install, the lewy's 1.2.0 HFW, and there's the first problem, it seems not working on T-R42..

Probably I made some mistake.. but aftet the tool finishes the flash, the T-42 power up but no video output.
                          For example, I jump over this step that I don't understand what means..

I'm sorry i'm very ignorant...
                          In all fairness i have lost interest with being unable to use flash player in it's true form,but regardless of that.You don't do what you have listed well i didn't do that portion of the job any way,but do try without and follow everything else to the letter without missing anything, even the pulling out the power cord at the designated times i state is all necissary, because without doing that before i figured it out, it would simply sit at a black screen on me too.Before you do it all over try pulling out the power cord hold down the power button for one minute then depress it (release the power button) then repress hold 10 seconds reinsert power cord and fire it up,if it fails to work try from start to finish missing the section you mentioned out completely.Let me know if it helps mate,sorry there are so many different things to put together that i can't help missing a small portion here and there.But i really do hope you resolve this and i will keep coming back to see if you reply and see how you've got on with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X