Are Task Killers Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Task Killers Bad?

Wanted to ask the pro's here if task killers are bad for the system? I have always used one but have recently read that they can damage the system. Being that I have fell in love all over again with my tab (thx to the Gingercomb rom), I would rather not damage it.
    "May the Schwartz be with you"

Originally posted by Gamer819 View Post
    Wanted to ask the pro's here if task killers are bad for the system? I have always used one but have recently read that they can damage the system. Being that I have fell in love all over again with my tab (thx to the Gingercomb rom), I would rather not damage it.
    From what I've read : before gingerbread (including froyo : 2.2) : they were useful as the android system didn't handle well ending old tasks.

From gingerbread (2.3.X) the system task manager does it quite well and ends tasks that are in the background for too long. In fact from a developper point of view, apps have to handle a state where they can be halted, then resumed. So they can be stopped when put in the background for too long or halted when a phone call occurs. An then cleanly resumed with a restore of their state...

So from a developer point of view, task killers are pointless if you have android > 2.2

Comment

Task killers can be bad. If you kill a task while it is writing something to /data or your SDcard, it can corrupt the files system. Android can handle /data since it is ext4 but your sdcard with FAT32 can be easily corrupted and thus remounted as read only.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by petrus View Post
        From what I've read : before gingerbread (including froyo : 2.2) : they were useful as the android system didn't handle well ending old tasks.

From gingerbread (2.3.X) the system task manager does it quite well and ends tasks that are in the background for too long. In fact from a developper point of view, apps have to handle a state where they can be halted, then resumed. So they can be stopped when put in the background for too long or halted when a phone call occurs. An then cleanly resumed with a restore of their state...

So from a developer point of view, task killers are pointless if you have android > 2.2
        Thanks for the quick reply. I will not be installing one with the new Finless rom.
        P.S. Outstanding work on the injector. Good stuff!

Thanks as well Bob!
        "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Originally posted by petrus View Post

Finless is right about the IO problem if tasks are halted uncleanly while writing.
          And more information about older apps (written for pre-2.2) that don't handle cleanly being shut down by the system, they can cause Force Close when put in the background. But there are not much apps that have not been updated to handle this.

So, yes, you should avoid task killers and let the android do itd job on that area.
          And to go further : memory managers can be bad too : you should just let the android os manage free ram, and not have an app try to do things the system is note aware of...

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer819 View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply. I will not be installing one with the new Finless rom.
            P.S. Outstanding work on the injector. Good stuff!

Thanks as well Bob!
            Thanks Always good to hear good reviews
            I do it for fun, and it's even more fun when people like it

Comment

Working...
            X