Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Polaaroid Ereader

I noticed that Big Lots has this Polaroid Ereader on sale cheap:

I suspect for that price it has no internet access. I was wondering if anyone knows if it runs Android apps like the Polaroid Tablets do? If it does run the apps, it would be a nice thing to do my Bible reading apps on. Then I wouldn't be wearing out my tablet so much doing those. But just wondering about that. I suspecting that it may not run the apps but just wondering.
    Tablets: Polaroid PMID 701i, PMID 4311, Zeki 10" tablet

"God Loves You"- Arlo Guthrie

1ยข

I think any ereader would have internet access. If it were me, I would wait for the next shiny toy to replace the pmid and use the older tab for book larnin.
    let's see a dual processor with more memory and higher res and wifi n and GPS for nav in car etc. For around a c note.
    Then I'll be momentarily happy. Lol.

Unless it's incredibly cheap, then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylharrell1961 View Post
      I noticed that Big Lots has this Polaroid Ereader on sale cheap:

I suspect for that price it has no internet access. I was wondering if anyone knows if it runs Android apps like the Polaroid Tablets do? If it does run the apps, it would be a nice thing to do my Bible reading apps on. Then I wouldn't be wearing out my tablet so much doing those. But just wondering about that. I suspecting that it may not run the apps but just wondering.
      They also have this too: http://www.biglots.com/browseDepartm...ctronics/8020#

Does anyone have any more specs on this than what is given?
      Jim
      ---
      Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
      Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
      Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

update

Just googled it. No wifi, no touchscreen, no apps. Just ebooks loaded on card from computer and mp3s.
        haven't checked the nextbook, about like pmid but with camera.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          I think any ereader would have internet access. If it were me, I would wait for the next shiny toy to replace the pmid and use the older tab for book larnin.
          let's see a dual processor with more memory and higher res and wifi n and GPS for nav in car etc. For around a c note.
          Then I'll be momentarily happy. Lol.

Unless it's incredibly cheap, then go for it.
          No not all ereaders have internet acess. This looks more like a PMP
          (Personal Media Player) that's been modified to load and display ePub, PDF & TXT files as the system default rather defaulting to playing movies and music files

These units aren't bad at all, In fact I have one with a 5-inch screen that I take with me when I go on doctor visits and the like, since it's smaller than my tablets and laptops, and plays nearly every video and audio file that I have on my computers.
          Last edited by c,lei; 05-25-2012, 00:34.

Comment

Thanks for the info on it ya'll. I am not interested in it now that I know it doesn't do apps. That Nextbook tablet looks nice and I wonder how well it works. Can't afford it after getting the Polariod tho. I don't recommend the Pandigital Ereader they have for sale in there. I got it and ended up returning it and getting the Polaroid. The Pandigital Ereader has internet access but it didn't work well. I couldn't get online at a McD's cuz it would not let me check or tick the tick ox you have to check or tick to say yes you want to get online. And the screen was all B&W and harder to see and there was no way to =make it brighter and it did no apps. So I took it back and got the Polaroid and so far I am happy with it. I do have a Polaroid mp3 player that plays videos and has some ebook capability that a got a coupla in Big Lots yrs back.. It works very well for me. The only format it can read is text tho and can't do apps or the internet.

Comment

FYI for those that are interested in the Nextbook tablet...
              It's on sale at Big Lots for $89.99 for 2 days this weekend (the 27th and the 28th.)

Comment

Best Deal I've found for e-reader

After I got the polaroid it became obvious that it was pretty much useless at the pool or on the beach (I suspect that is true for all shiny screens) so I started looking for an e-reader. Best deal I've found was a pandigital 6" for $30 at bensoutlet.com. It has very basic internet - email (no attachments) a 1 item calendar - and reads epub and pdf as well as plays mp3. It will not run apps and it is epaper so black and white. This is not a substitute for the Polaroid but a pretty sweet deal for a use in the sun e-reader. YMMV

Comment

I bet that's the one I got anand had to take back. Reason I took it back was it was a bw scrren and harder for me to read due to the fact you couldn't make the text brighter. And the internet didn't work so well on it. Plus it didn't do apps. So far I am happy with the Polaroid. But the Pandigital was a good buy at Big Lots tho at $30. But you got it even cheaper which was a good deal.

Comment

I bet that's the one I got anand had to take back.
                    Yes, it's the same reader they sell at big lots for $69. You are right the e-paper is not bright - it is intended to get it's light from the ambient light around it. The more outside light the better. That's why it works so great for me at the beach. Lot's of sun - bright screen. I have loaded mine with a bunch of books and some music.

I am enjoying it but as I said - it is no replacement for the polaroid.

Comment

Wow, didn't know that. Sounds like it's better for reading outdoors than indoors. IF you could make the text better to see and the internet better and it did apps, then I probably would've kept it. Sounds like a good one for the beach tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X