Need new screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new screen

I managed to crack the screen of my PMID701c and am looking to replace only the screen. Customer service will replace the entire unit and give me a "new" one for $80 which I don't want to do. I've tried numerous Big Lots and none of them stock the unit any more so there's no way to swap the screen out that way. I'm wondering if anybody has run across a website or even local store that sells touch screens. I've tried a bunch of those iphone/ipad/smartphone repair places and none of them are able to even locate the pmid701c in their system.

I'm hoping that somebody else has had better luck then I have at tracking down repair parts.

when this tablet first surfaced, we determined before the manufacturer released the information that there were multiple different versions of the tablet released. They look exactly the same on the outside (except for some with the video out port, and some without). I would wager that the touch screen interface and the actual LCD panel isn't exactly the same across the board either. Since this was probably a one time run of manufacturing, there probably won't be a wealth of replacement parts, if any, produced.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, just letting you know what we as the community here know.
    Polaroid PMID701i 13
    Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
    Fully rooted
    Google's Market installed

Comment

If you do find one it's probably going to be cost prohibitive to replace anyway.

Unfortunately even if you are able to locate a screen for it 9 times out of 10 with these budget devices it is going to end up being almost just as much as buying a a new device anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
        Unfortunately even if you are able to locate a screen for it 9 times out of 10 with these budget devices it is going to end up being almost just as much as buying a a new device anyway.
        Hello!

Sadly, you're right. When it comes to these inexpensive tablets, that is certainly true. Now if the $30 color e-reader BL is selling here and there had a compatible screen, THAT might be a different matter.

However, I have a couple of netbooks that need screens, and having priced them recently, learned that, at $50-$60, THEY'RE now cheap enough to replace...

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob

Comment

i have found some

Originally posted by marquoz View Post
          I managed to crack the screen of my PMID701c and am looking to replace only the screen. Customer service will replace the entire unit and give me a "new" one for $80 which I don't want to do. I've tried numerous Big Lots and none of them stock the unit any more so there's no way to swap the screen out that way. I'm wondering if anybody has run across a website or even local store that sells touch screens. I've tried a bunch of those iphone/ipad/smartphone repair places and none of them are able to even locate the pmid701c in their system.

I'm hoping that somebody else has had better luck then I have at tracking down repair parts.
          I am needing a new digitizer for one of mine because i ripped the ribbon cable while doing testing inside. I have been able to find them from $32 to $40 mostly by searching for onda vx610w digitizer, there was one place that sold both digitizer and screen together for $60 something. That is the good news. The bad news is that as mentioned there are several versions out there and you will probably need to open it up to find out which one you need for sure. There are 4 small phillips screws on the back and then it splits easiest on the bottom edge, idealy with a plastic case cracker to minimize damage to the case ( if you dont care a small screwdriver works too, but will likely booger up the plastic a bit). On mine the case opened best when looking at the side buttons because the cables attaching the lcd and digitizer were closer to the mic hole on the other side

Comment

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
            I am needing a new digitizer for one of mine because i ripped the ribbon cable while doing testing inside. I have been able to find them from $32 to $40 mostly by searching for onda vx610w digitizer, there was one place that sold both digitizer and screen together for $60 something. That is the good news. The bad news is that as mentioned there are several versions out there and you will probably need to open it up to find out which one you need for sure. There are 4 small phillips screws on the back and then it splits easiest on the bottom edge, idealy with a plastic case cracker to minimize damage to the case ( if you dont care a small screwdriver works too, but will likely booger up the plastic a bit). On mine the case opened best when looking at the side buttons because the cables attaching the lcd and digitizer were closer to the mic hole on the other side

Already have the screen out while trying to find parts. Can you send me a link so I can track down if they have the specific screen?

Comment

I do usually try to add links

I was on my phone earlier so just shy of impossible to add links. note, have not done any buisness with any of them so these are provided as informational not as a recomendation. I would recomend using this as only a starting point for your own search though. I would also recomend trying to contact the seller and confirm part numbers before puchasing since most of the time there are no returns on electronic parts.

First for the digitizer

http://www.****.com/itm/NEW-ONDA-7-0...item3cc4206fcd

And the LCD:

http://www.****.com/itm/Onda-VI10-El...item337669187c

http://www.****.com/itm/Onda-VX610W-...item337668d337

There were some things brought up in this thread as well, though I have never been able to get ahold of anyone in Onda customer service to discuss their parts availability through email. Have not tried calling figuring the international charges would negate any savings that I could get over some of the other optons.

Comment

It should be no surprise but to get any sort of decent price you'll probably have to order from China etc. Not necessarily a bad thing, but be prepared to wait a looong time. This can be especially true if you order from an international seller on **** which is exactly the case with the links posted above.

I've ordered a few things on **** from Hong Kong etc. and it can take FOREVER. 30 to 60 days is nothing.
                Just be very careful, know your seller and make sure they have a long history of positive feedback. Be sure to check any impatience at the door.

The last China **** buying experience I had was with buying a legit Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim hard drive. I got it for about half the cost they are here in the U.S. but it took a LOT of pestering and nearly 2 and a half months for it to finally arrive.

Comment

Working...
                X