Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix A2 Remote

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post a little info on the A2 that not everyone may be aware of.

Before deciding which remote to purchase for my Minix X7 I did a lot of research. Many people had opinions about various remotes and functionality for the device. The biggest issue was finding out which would offer the most compatibility and therefore ease of use for my Minix. Since I was mainly interested in XBMC and playing some local video files I felt the A2 would work best for me.

Of the posts on the A2 some claimed they had many issues with it the most notable being battery life. Several others posted they had no real issues and that it did not eat batteries. I wondered how mine would be.

After receiving it and using it for a month now I noticed no battery issues whatsoever. Only real problem seemed that it occasionally would not 'awaken' for about 5 seconds from the seemingly random times it would go to 'sleep' (not respond). This however was infrequent. Overall it has been a fantastic remote.

Fast forward to two days ago and I purchased a second of these wonderful devices for my friend along with another A2 remote. Same vendor just a month apart. I loaded the exact same firmware on the Minix X7 itself and set it up with the same configuration. Now I tested it with the new remote. Totally different behaviour than mine! The center button of the remote only functions as a click of the mouse position versus my other remote which functions to click via the center button even with the mouse disabled (and pointing elsewhere). The only way to move into a new submenu at either the android screen or in XBMC was to use the enter button under the up/down and side to side buttons. If the mouse is enabled and pointing at the menu item than the center button now works. As well if the remote is sitting for a short period of time unused then the moment you move it the mouse becomes alive and must be disabled anew. If you are playing a video in XBMC and want to stop and exit the movie or simply select items in the menu without using the mouse you must disable it again and again each time. Constantly disabling the mouse is a real pain and having to use the enter button versus the center Android symbol button. Other than that so far it has given no other problems.

Now I am waiting to see if this mouse consumes batteries. My first remote is still running on the original batteries I installed a month ago. What I see happening here is not a defective remote but a second version. I believe this is why we are seeing posts with very different performance/opinions. My best guess is the first remote I purchased has updated firmware on it or possibly differing components as well. I suspect my first remote is from a later production run than then second remote. This would seem like a logical conclusion based on the very different functions in the second remote but no signs of instability. In other words it does not act like a broken or defective remote.

I have also since come across another post similar to mine where the person has two remotes. One good and one 'defective' with behaviour akin to mine.

I would love to have Minix themselves respond to this post to confirm that at least two revisions exist for the A2.

Geaddict

Hello,

Thanks for writing this. I have had my X7 + A2 for two weeks now, and use it many hours each day. (QuickShot V2 Rom)

My A2 has the same characteristics as your first one, the middle button works as "selector" button with the air mouse disables, the air mouse is off by default when you pick it up, and I have randomly noticed it wont "wakeup" after it sleeps (this happen twice, but it worked within 5 seconds). Before I got the remote I did read that the middle button didnt work as a selector, so I was very happy when I got it. My battery's still work fine, and I do have the speaker and mic disabled (I use AAA rechargeable and always have a set ready).

I am very happy I have this version, as using the "Enter" key below the directional pad to select things would not be as good as the center key, and I would not want to airmouse to be ON by default.

I was going to get the F10 Pro, but ended up choosing the A2... Why? Well, 1) I liked the idea of replaceable batteries instead of having to charge it with a USB cable 2) The power button works with the X7, and it brings up the full power options when you hold it. 3) It has PLAY, PAUSE buttons! They work in XBMC, one touch and it pauses! They also work on the launcher dashboard when you are playing Songza, Poweramp, or Google Music in the background. AMAZING!

My two gripes about the remote are small... The size is nice, but could be smaller. I have to reach with my fingers a lot to get to the middle of the keyboard, and the buttons "click", while it feels nice and is high quality, my wife doesnt like it when she is reading.

I would love to hear everyone else's A2 stories... How does your A2 or other remote work?
    Last edited by jbizzle; 03-10-2014, 12:46.

Comment

I had my tv turner plugged into my box to get live tv working on my minix. When I done this my mouse pointer did not come on when I woke the remote..

Do you have anything else plugged in or other apps running in the background?
      Without memories we have nothing.

Comment

Mine have the same behavior as your 2nd remote

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago. Like you said when you press the gyro and disable the air mouse you need to press enter to select a menu. Then when the air mouse is enable you can use the center button. Other than that 3 weeks have past I have not charge the battery I am using a 1.2 v NiMH Duracell 800mah rechargeable. My firmware is .008 stock. My one problem is whenever I am using Nova Launcher I can't use the "application" button... the button underneath the "enter" button. It is not a big deal, but if it is there then you might as well use it, if you can, for convenience. It works fine when using a stock launcher, so let me know if I am the only one having this problem.

Comment

Maybe there are 2 versions but i never noticed it and we are selling them a lot...

What i know is that the keymapping varies from firmware to firmware.
          Be sure you use the exact same firmware and keymaps installed.

second .. what most do not know;
          When you insert the reciever the audio input ( mic ) does to the "sega airmouse" .
          This causes most of the power consumption, change the audio input back to the rkxxx to disable the high radio traffic from the mic sending audio to the reciever.

Might be there are 2 versions through...

Comment

Originally posted by HardwareGuru View Post
            Maybe there are 2 versions but i never noticed it and we are selling them a lot...

What i know is that the keymapping varies from firmware to firmware.
            Be sure you use the exact same firmware and keymaps installed.

second .. what most do not know;
            When you insert the reciever the audio input ( mic ) does to the "sega airmouse" .
            This causes most of the power consumption, change the audio input back to the rkxxx to disable the high radio traffic from the mic sending audio to the reciever.

Might be there are 2 versions through...
            Actually it's great you replied as well HardwareGuru. This way I get a chance to thank you for the great firmware you have written. It is the most stable I have used on my X7 and is running with Beyond XBMC perfectly. I am using the exact same HardwareGuru 03 firmware on both units. Thanks!!!

Regarding the remotes, I have also cross tested them on both X7's now with the exact same results. It only would require my opening them to possibly confirm something different on the board to be 100% sure as I'll bet there are revision markings or possibly component changes. Short of that I am now strongly convinced that my logic is sound.

Geaddict

Comment

Originally posted by HardwareGuru View Post
              When you insert the reciever the audio input ( mic ) does to the "sega airmouse"...
              That's what I tought when I read that the A2 last 2 days for some users AND got audio capabilities.

I'm still not decided about the airmouse I'll use in my setup, so many opposites feedback for any airmouses/pads/keyboards... I like the A2 design or some Rii ones. K400 seems a bit dull to me.
              For the moment I have USB Razer diamondback mouse + Mac wireless keyboard and it's quite nice except for the mouse cable and the AZERTY typing QWERTY.
              I'm used to it but still a bit annoying, I tried to change the KB setup in Android, not succesfully for the moment.

Comment

Working...
              X