Ok fed up with my701i X10 acting like an etch a sketch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok fed up with my701i X10 acting like an etch a sketch

Ok I do the root as instructed and the next morning I have the thing resetting to no apps and like it's the unit's first start up. In all fairness I did install a few root apps including a reboot button that should be affecting nothing. How can I resolve this, or what are my options for throwing some non stock firmware on the unit that won't screw me?

P.S.

Already did this song and dance once on my own and I thought after a fresh install via Livesuite of the stock firmware that I'd be free from this. Did the re-install last night at the whole nine.

Comment

How long have you had it? If you haven't had it long it may be that you have a defective device that is just making it's flaws known.

I had my 701C for a day or two and it started to get flaky on me. It would randomly reboot. At first I just chalked it up to an app etc. It would sometimes get stuck in a boot loop, reboot 2 or 3 times in rapid succession. I even had a couple of occasions where it would reboot, take forever to boot up and then tell me the tablet had to be reset.

I spent an insane amount of time chasing something to blame. I blamed firmware, apps, mods etc. Turned out to just be defective hardware. I returned the tablet bought I new one and all has been well since.

My advice is to start over from scratch. It sounds like you've already done this but give it one last try. Flash the stock firmware back to the unit (Make sure you are using the correct firmware for your tablet) and use it in that state for awhile. If it still gives you problems with the stock setup it's most likely a defective tablet with some wonky hardware. That's certainly what the issue was with my 701C.

Just my two pennies!

Comment

:P

Ironically I think I know what screwed up. I've had it running ok through multiple restarts for hours now. I did a fresh install of the stock rom into it, rooted it a different way (Just in case. Possible reason for screw up 1.) and also didn't put any of those restart button/widgets on it(#2, but more likely screw up reason). It seemed ok before till I started messing with the restart stuff. That's when it went into a vicious cycle of factory restore on me and acting like a rabid etch a sketch. Its running fine now, but I'm gonna keep it on observation for 24 hours before I start running it on heavier duty again. I'm still curious about alternative roms that I could use with this tablet to get more bang for my buck and performance. (P.S. It was originally fine for nearly a week till I rooted it and screwed once again with installing and using restart apps/widgets.)

Comment

Yeah it does sound more like the restart apps/widgets might be your issue then. Glad to hear it's probably nothing serious!

Right now I don't know of any alternative roms. There just isn't much out there other than the tons of info we have here. I believe we had a user here who was starting some work on entertaining requests for a custom rom but things are still in their infancy. I certainly don't know of any other site right now that has more help and more useful info on these Polaroid tablets!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonwall Industries View Post
            (P.S. It was originally fine for nearly a week till I rooted it and screwed once again with installing and using restart apps/widgets.)
            What do you mean by "till I rooted it"?. I thought the 701i was rooted from the facotory. I never had to 'root' my tablet. I've edited fstab to swap sdcard and extsd. I run several apps that require root without issues. Am I missing something?

Just curious.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
              Right now I don't know of any alternative roms. There just isn't much out there other than the tons of info we have here. I believe we had a user here who was starting some work on entertaining requests for a custom rom but things are still in their infancy. I certainly don't know of any other site right now that has more help and more useful info on these Polaroid tablets!
              Shawn's ROMs thread is here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ROMS-by-Shawn. Nothing is marked for the 701i except for the stock ROM, although on 5/13 kbob said that he accidentally (and successfully) installed the "Bloatware Free" Gingerbread ROM onto his 701i X10. So that might be worth a try for people who are having trouble with the stock ICS ROM.

Originally posted by kc9hi View Post
              What do you mean by "till I rooted it"?. I thought the 701i was rooted from the facotory.
              Both 701i X10's that I've had were also rooted when I got them. Maybe other variants of the hardware don't come rooted? I've been curious about this too, so hopefully someone can clarify.

Comment

What do you mean by "till I rooted it"?. I thought the 701i was rooted from the facotory. I never had to 'root' my tablet. I've edited fstab to swap sdcard and extsd. I run several apps that require root without issues. Am I missing something?

Just curious.
                Jim

From what I understand mine started partially rooted. All I did this time was use root explorer, a guide I found on here, and download superuser seperately like the guide said. You could say that the 701i comes root friendly compared to many other devices.

Comment

Originally posted by discman017 View Post
                  Shawn's ROMs thread is here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ROMS-by-Shawn. Nothing is marked for the 701i except for the stock ROM, although on 5/13 kbob said that he accidentally (and successfully) installed the "Bloatware Free" Gingerbread ROM onto his 701i X10. So that might be worth a try for people who are having trouble with the stock ICS ROM.

Both 701i X10's that I've had were also rooted when I got them. Maybe other variants of the hardware don't come rooted? I've been curious about this too, so hopefully someone can clarify.
                  Ah ok fair enough. I thought there were some that had been worked up as is. Gotta be patient, shut up, and wait lol.

Comment

I also had the factory restore problem at first, ended up reflashing rom several times until I pinned the problem on the BusyBox update. As soon as I made sure that it updated to bin and not xbin everything seems to be operating smoothly now (hope this helps)

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
                    Last edited by bitsbubba; 06-01-2012, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by bitsbubba View Post
                      I also had the factory restore problem at first, ended up reflashing rom several times until I pinned the problem on the BusyBox update. As soon as I made sure that it updated to bin and not xbin everything seems to be operating smoothly now (hope this helps)

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
                      Son of a bitch....seriously. That had come up in the back of my mind as a possibility as well. I think both of the first two times I tried rooting I'd tossed Busybox in as well. That would explain a lot.

Comment

Just curious.
                        Jim
                        Can you tell me how i have an x10 too.I have problem connecting it to the pc.I just need more space on it to install apps i have a 16gb sd card.I need to transfer to my sd card apss.Can you tell me how???

Comment

Originally posted by BulleTPRooF View Post
                          Can you tell me how i have an x10 too.I have problem connecting it to the pc.I just need more space on it to install apps i have a 16gb sd card.I need to transfer to my sd card apss.Can you tell me how???
                          Look in the "How Do I Easily Move Apps to External Micro SD card on the PMID701C?" thread. Most specifically post #30. I used E.S.File Explorer instead of Root Explorer.
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X