ATV520E vs Minix Neo X7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV520E vs Minix Neo X7

Was leaning towards the Minix because it appears to have more custom ROMs. The X7 a solid choice around here? (Having good wireless is critical). I'm going to be using XBMC to watch native videos/apps..... no streaming from NAS (I have a WDTV for that.)

BTW, what's a good air mouse with a keyboard on the back? (Would like a remote that is comfy and has great control in XBMC for all options and can flip it over and enter URLs for when I want to surf around.)

Thanks

UPDATE: I went ahead and purchased a Minix Neo X7 and a Minix Neo A1+ remote. For anyone that is interested, I'll update this post again after I get the box and play around with it for a few days.
    Last edited by gene0915; 03-28-2014, 14:31.

I'm waiting for your report

Comment

Originally posted by looklikefrost View Post
      I'm waiting for your report

Hahaha....sorry about that.

To start, I left the default 008 firmware on the device and fired up the Minix ver of XBMC that was pre-installed and noticed this weird lag in anything I tried watching via certain video-add ons.

I then switched to the normal 12.3? ver of XBMC and still had problems. Thinking it was the fault of the firmware, I put Quickshot II on there and installed the normal ver of XBMC again and while this combo worked, I ran into some weird XBMC database problems so I blew everything away again and installed the pre010 firmware. With that on there, I ran into problems with some video-add ons using the Minix ver of XBMC so I installed Gotham Beta 3. I tried Beyond XBMC but ran into weird problems so deleted it and went back to Gotham Beta 3. As of today, I have pre010 firmware on there and I'm using Gotham 3 full time. (I'm willing to bet that some of my XBMC problems were due to my n00bness with Android TV boxes so don't take my problems as any sort of indication of problems with the box!)

I see that Minix recently released a pre010B ver of the firmware and the final ver is due soon.

As for wireless performance, using the Speedtest.net app from the Google Play store, I get about 15-20 megs down (I have the 30 meg package with my ISP) and this is totally perfect for streaming from video add-ons within XBMC.

My A1+ remote should be here any day now (can't wait for that).

I tested the built in MX Player? app to see how well it could handle local files from an attached thumb drive and the only thing it couldn't play were MTS files (raw AVCHD video files from my HD camera). I also noticed that there was some bad audio sync problems with mp4 files (and maybe avi and mkv) and I didn't see a way to adjust that in MX Player. (This audio sync problem was noticed while running the pre010 firmware). I hear that BSPlayer is suppose to be an awesome video player so I'll test that out maybe and see if the audio sync problem is gone or if BSPlayer allows for moving the audio up/back to get it in sync with the video like XBMC does.

All in all, I'm very happy with this device. So long as Minix keeps releasing firmware updates for it (they seem to keep releasing updates for their X5 box), when I go to add another couple of boxes for the other TVs in the house, I'll definitely put Minix at the top of my choices. There are a lot of custom ROMs for this device which is great because even with Minix drops support for it, hopefully other devs won't.

UPDATE: Got my Minix A1+ remote this afternoon and I'm loving it! Works perfectly!
      Last edited by gene0915; 04-07-2014, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by gene0915 View Post
        Hahaha....sorry about that.

To start, I left the default 008 firmware on the device and fired up the Minix ver of XBMC that was pre-installed and noticed this weird lag in anything I tried watching via certain video-add ons.

I then switched to the normal 12.3? ver of XBMC and still had problems. Thinking it was the fault of the firmware, I put Quickshot II on there and installed the normal ver of XBMC again and while this combo worked, I ran into some weird XBMC database problems so I blew everything away again and installed the pre010 firmware. With that on there, I ran into problems with some video-add ons using the Minix ver of XBMC so I installed Gotham Beta 3. I tried Beyond XBMC but ran into weird problems so deleted it and went back to Gotham Beta 3. As of today, I have pre010 firmware on there and I'm using Gotham 3 full time. (I'm willing to bet that some of my XBMC problems were due to my n00bness with Android TV boxes so don't take my problems as any sort of indication of problems with the box!)

I see that Minix recently released a pre010B ver of the firmware and the final ver is due soon.

As for wireless performance, using the Speedtest.net app from the Google Play store, I get about 15-20 megs down (I have the 30 meg package with my ISP) and this is totally perfect for streaming from video add-ons within XBMC.

My A1+ remote should be here any day now (can't wait for that).

I tested the built in MX Player? app to see how well it could handle local files from an attached thumb drive and the only thing it couldn't play were MTS files (raw AVCHD video files from my HD camera). I also noticed that there was some bad audio sync problems with mp4 files (and maybe avi and mkv) and I didn't see a way to adjust that in MX Player. (This audio sync problem was noticed while running the pre010 firmware). I hear that BSPlayer is suppose to be an awesome video player so I'll test that out maybe and see if the audio sync problem is gone or if BSPlayer allows for moving the audio up/back to get it in sync with the video like XBMC does.

All in all, I'm very happy with this device. So long as Minix keeps releasing firmware updates for it (they seem to keep releasing updates for their X5 box), when I go to add another couple of boxes for the other TVs in the house, I'll definitely put Minix at the top of my choices. There are a lot of custom ROMs for this device which is great because even with Minix drops support for it, hopefully other devs won't.

UPDATE: Got my Minix A1+ remote this afternoon and I'm loving it! Works perfectly!
        woow nice share guys... how price ..??

Comment

Originally posted by ryanita View Post
          woow nice share guys... how price ..??
          I think I got my Minix Neo X7 for $130 + $20 for the A1+ remote=$150 total.

Comment

Working...
          X