Are you still using one, how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you still using one, how long?

The Android type. I went through several and just bad timing on my part even got one of the 3188T models that nobody told anybody about till too late.

I even finally bucked up and got a Minix x7 Mini.

But the network performance still was junk, and looking back I could have just built the HTPC I ended up building for less than the cost of what I've got in these little devices now. I did manage to send the Minix back for a refund, but still have about $100 in sticks collecting dust now.

I love the idea of these things, but my mini-itx SFF OpenELEC HTPC for around $200 just completely blows any of them away. It's silent, sips power, and runs normal x86_64 stuff. And most importantly for how I use it, streaming literally everything from my NAS raid box, the NIC performance on my Gbit LAN is as fast as Gbit should be.

I'm just curious then. Who is using one of these things for a serious HTPC replacement instead of just a hobby? I hope to be able to some day, but to me they still don't cut it.

Thoughts?
    1.8Ghz Celeron 1037u based OpenELEC HTPC - Sadly PWNS all Androids everywhere

"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Mind listing all the components in your HTPC build? The main reason I picked an Android mini PC (Minix Neo X7) over building a HTCP was cost. Around $100 is the sweet spot for me. I want to run XBMC on my TV and only stream stuff that I find natively within XBMC. (TheOnion, international news, some foreign channels, etc.) I have a WDTV for streaming content from my NAS. If I could build a HTPC that is way better than an Android mini PC for around $200, I >might< be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gene0915 View Post
      Mind listing all the components in your HTPC build?.... If I could build a HTPC that is way better than an Android mini PC for around $200, I >might< be interested.
      Sure, and you definitely can.

ECS NM70-I
      Crucial 2GB 204-pin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333
      SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB
      Antec ISK 110 Vesa

Right now all that is about $198 before shipping from Newegg.

OpenELEC runs from the thumb drive and the whole thing has one moving part which is nearly silent. The CPU fan. OpenELEC is an XBMC only LInux distro. I love it.

IMO that combo above would replace both your Minix and the WDTV.
      1.8Ghz Celeron 1037u based OpenELEC HTPC - Sadly PWNS all Androids everywhere

"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Comment

Working...
      X