iFive Mini 3 Retina RileyROM 1.0 KitKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iFive Mini 3 Retina RileyROM 1.0 KitKat

I want to thank my good friend Eric at Geekbuying.com for providing this little jewel of a tablet for me to develop...every time I ask for something new, he always comes through for me....and I appreciate it.

I really had to work hard on this one...there were a bunch of obstacles to traverse. But I've finally come up with a working RileyROM for this new iFive Mini 3 with the Retina screen. This is for the Retina version only...I've already released a ROM for the original Mini 3 with the lower resolution screen. The two ROM's aren't interchangeable, so don't try it.

Since iFive has implemented a new NAND system in their latest releases, there's one thing in the directions I must tell you about that is different. For this ROM, you can't erase IDB. It only counts to 6 and says it's done. I've been fussing with this for the last week and still haven't found a solution...so maybe someone will discover one.

In the meantime, I've made this ROM work without having to erase IDB. Which means you only have one user app space option. The parameter is set for 4gb user app space. Once we figure out how to do a low level format of the NAND, we can add more choices. But, for now we are stuck at 4gb. The trick is getting the file sizes exactly the same or smaller than what the current parameters allow.

Otherwise, just flash this ROM according to the instructions in the First Time User's Guide.

This ROM is based on a ROM dump of the original stock firmware from my own tablet. The build date is 3/7/14.

This ROM is:

Rooted with SuperSU
    Aggressively debloated
    4gb user app space
    English default
    Init.d support with busybox commands
    Google Play Store fixes added, including spoofing as a Samsung device to open more apps as compatible
    Auto Install feature added on first boot - just place apk's in an autoinstall folder on your external SD (Thanks to Leolas and 900SuperSport)
    Working TWRP Recovery installed after first boot - (Thanks to Abdul_PT)
    Reboot App by Petrus
    Boot animation by me this time (Tattman is taking a break) I hope you like it. The animation runs slow until all of the frames are loaded once...then it speeds up. I just think it looks cool, so I used it.

I'm impressed with the performance of this tablet considering it's an RK3188 with a Retina display...the new NAND components may have something to do with it...but what little hair I have left got pulled out trying to figure out how to format the NAND.

One of the features iFive has added, which is missing from the Pipo KitKat ROM's is the return of minimizing the nav bar.

I know people will ask about multi-user...nope, it isn't there...but there is an Xposed Framework module available to activate multi-user in KitKat that works pretty well. I have only tested the setup of the users, but I haven't tried any apps in subsequent user accounts, so I can't tell you any further.

With this ROM, I get an Antutu score of 19493...not bad for a stock kernel. Maybe we can get our kernel guys to make some custom kernels for this tablet.

Battery consumption is pretty good...a subjective opinion only...I haven't had time to put the watch to it. Charging seems a little slow through a USB port from a PC. I like that this tablet charges via the USB jack. Honestly, this is the only way I've charged it, so far...it may be a bit faster with the provided charger.

Anyway, here's the ROM:

Download

As always, please consider donating if the ROM makes a difference for you. I rely on your support so I can purchase new devices to develop. My donate link is on my signature line below. And also periodically support Freaktab.com by donating to Finless or Neomode.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

I will be installing this as soon as my tablet arrives in the mail

Comment

Thank you for the ROM. Everything work perfectly.

I added the OC kernel (boot CPU1800h GPU798h DDR720.img) without problem + Nova launcher and the performance is good for a retina screen with the RK3188 processor.

The kernel is inside the boot.img... So I extracted the kernel and flash only this kernel instead of the boot.img but with this combinaison my tablet couldn't boot.

If you want use this OC kernel you have to flash the boot.img with rkandroid tools.
      Thread to the autor of the OC kernel http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail....&last=49180667
      Mediafire link http://www.mediafire.com/download/2n...c_v2.1.0v2.zip
      There is two kernels
      - 1.7GHz DDR 720 GPU 660MHz
      - 1.8GHz DDR 720 GPU 798MHz

I wonder if Randy did something in his boot.img ... (init.d support ?) If it is the case you loose the feature if you flash this oc kernel via boot.img I guess

Comment

I will have to check that. I'm pretty sure I stripped the kernel from the boot.img.

Compare the file size of the stock kernel vs the oc kernel. If its bigger, that's the boot problem. It all goes back to not being able to format NAND.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

With this ROM and the kernel 1.8GHz DDR 720 GPU 798MHz I got 22204 points Antutu

Comment

Originally posted by manao View Post
            With this ROM and the kernel 1.8GHz DDR 720 GPU 798MHz I got 22204 points Antutu

How does having the OC kernel affect the battery life?

Comment

The difference is not noticeable.

Comment

The difference is not noticeable.
                Hello manao! Could you plesase give me a short guide on how you OCed the tablet?
                I’ve tried with both the 1704mhz and the 1800mhz but my tablet keeps rebooting... At 1800 it wouldnt even start..
                Maby you did something different?!

Cheers,
                Hendrikx

Comment

Hello Hendrikx, as asual you open the rkbatch tool, put your tablet on flash mode (found rk android into the flash tool) and select only boot. You pointing the file to the boot.img you want and click "run". The tablet reboot itself and it's done.
                  Maybe your hardware (CPU) is not enough stable to run a different kernel ?

Comment

Hello Hendrikx, as asual you open the rkbatch tool, put your tablet on flash mode (found rk android into the flash tool) and select only boot. You pointing the file to the boot.img you want and click "run". The tablet reboot itself and it's done.
                    Maybe your hardware (CPU) is not enough stable to run a different kernel ?
                    Yea thats what i've Done... Well i should have The same hardware as you... That's just wierd if mina is mot stable... 😕

Comment

These kernels works only with this RileyROM or the 2.1.0 last Firmware for the MINI3 Retina 442_V2.1.0_201403071015.rar or the last Kasty ROM.
                      http://pan.baidu.com/s/1bnvhnvp

Comment

Thanks Manao for your contribution to the ROM!!!!!!!!
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

Anyone know if it is possible to increase the maximum brightness of this tabet? When compared to my ipad mini retina it is very dark… Full brightness is equal to 50% brightness on the ipad.. Maby my iFive is defected with a lowbrightness screen, or how do you guys feel about the brightness overall?

Also, still no success in overclocking my tablet. Keeps rebooting on both 1704 and 1800mhz, guess i got to stay with the origional clock frequence..
                          My tablet runs very fluent (with nova and some other tweaks), thou web-browsing is kinda laggy, is this better when OC'ed?

Cheers,
                          Hendrikx

Comment

Originally posted by hendrikx View Post
                            Anyone know if it is possible to increase the maximum brightness of this tabet? When compared to my ipad mini retina it is very dark… Full brightness is equal to 50% brightness on the ipad.. Maby my iFive is defected with a lowbrightness screen, or how do you guys feel about the brightness overall?

Also, still no success in overclocking my tablet. Keeps rebooting on both 1704 and 1800mhz, guess i got to stay with the origional clock frequence..
                            My tablet runs very fluent (with nova and some other tweaks), thou web-browsing is kinda laggy, is this better when OC'ed?

Cheers,
                            Hendrikx
                            Brightness on my non-Retina Mini3 is spectacular. I always keep it at 50% to save battery life, but I really don't feel any need to bump it up.

Comment

Originally posted by rob1s View Post
                              Brightness on my non-Retina Mini3 is spectacular. I always keep it at 50% to save battery life, but I really don't feel any need to bump it up.
                              That's just wierd, have you compared it to anything else? I'll post a picture soon to give you an idea on my ifives "Full brightness"...

First one compared to a Samsung Galaxy tab:

Second one just compared to a bad computer monitor:

Do you reccon your tables has more brightness then this?
                              Last edited by hendrikx; 04-16-2014, 10:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X