Possible good news for NX008HD8G tablet owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible good news for NX008HD8G tablet owners

I'm sure most people have heard about the Heartbleed vulnerability by now. Apparently the only version of Android that it affects is version 4.1.1 which these Nextbooks use. Will Nextbook finally release a newer version of Android for these tablets? Probably not, but there is some slim chance that they might. Maybe if customers complained, but even that probably wouldn't influence their decision either way, as budget tablets like these are pretty expendable, and their solution to the problem will probably be to just make newer tablets with a fix or a newer system, and forget about the ones that have already been sold.

For more information on the matter, here is a link to Google's official announcement about the Heartbleed vulnerability.
    Posted by Matthew O'Connor, Product Manager You may have heard of “Heartbleed,” a flaw in OpenSSL that could allow the theft of data norma...

Just a quick update on this, I went to their site at http://www.nextbookusa.com and filled out their support questionaire. I'll let you all know the response I get. BTW, maybe more of us should inquire about it.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if they reply, I did that over a week ago & I still haven't heard a peep from them.
      Nextbook NX008HD8G - Rooted

Comment

Originally posted by brienj View Post
        I'm sure most people have heard about the Heartbleed vulnerability by now. Apparently the only version of Android that it affects is version 4.1.1 which these Nextbooks use. Will Nextbook finally release a newer version of Android for these tablets? Probably not, but there is some slim chance that they might. Maybe if customers complained, but even that probably wouldn't influence their decision either way, as budget tablets like these are pretty expendable, and their solution to the problem will probably be to just make newer tablets with a fix or a newer system, and forget about the ones that have already been sold.

For more information on the matter, here is a link to Google's official announcement about the Heartbleed vulnerability.
        http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot...o-address.html
        I'm kind of in the same position as you, hopefully they will give us a ota or firmware update to patch HeartBleed, or they will just forget about these old ones and make new ones with patched firmware or a newer Android OS, preferably 4.2.2 JB.

We can only hope.
        NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
          I'm kind of in the same position as you, hopefully they will give us a ota or firmware update to patch HeartBleed, or they will just forget about these old ones and make new ones with patched firmware or a newer Android OS, preferably 4.2.2 JB.

We can only hope.
          The new models for 2014 announced at CES are supposed to have 4.2.2.

I seriously doubt Nextbook will ever upgrade any devices after release. With most products under $100, there just isn't any profit in providing any type of support for them.

I'd guess the only way they would update any devices is if Google pressured them to do it.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

I seriously doubt Nextbook will ever upgrade any devices after release. With most products under $100, there just isn't any profit in providing any type of support for them.

I'd guess the only way they would update any devices is if Google pressured them to do it.

ShaunMT

man....the i bought my next800t for 150 dollar...it's not that cheap

Comment

I just got off the phone with customer support & the person I talked to wasn't even aware of the vulnerability & as far as she knows they don't have any plans on issuing an update but she'll email me if she finds out anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

ShaunMT
                They do have one firmware update for the NEXT7P, but that's the only one. Even if they don't update them, it's not too big of a deal, since they were just cheap tablets I bought for my kids to play kid games on. My whole reason for rooting them was to get rid of any apps I didn't want on there, and to try and make the battery life longer. I have a problem with one of them that the battery life is just horrible now. I can't wait to get time to try out the CWM recovery you made, along with the custom ROM.

Comment

Not everyone considers $100 to be chump change though, there are those of us that got them because it's the best we could afford to get. I'm really sick of companies & some people who seem to think money grows on trees so why bother supporting anything when people can just go out & buy a new one.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by silver9990 View Post
                    Not everyone considers $100 to be chump change though, there are those of us that got them because it's the best we could afford to get. I'm really sick of companies & some people who seem to think money grows on trees so why bother supporting anything when people can just go out & buy a new one.

No, it's not cheap from everyone, but my main point was that from the manufacturer's viewpoint, providing software updates and support is costly, while releasing new models with new software provides an incentive for consumers to purchase a new device.

It's unfortunate for the consumer, but with these low cost device manufacturers and vendors it just doesn't fit their business model. In order to provide more support, they would have to triple the price (or more) and spend a fortune on marketing to build brand loyalty.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Nextbook8hd update...

anybody who can afford to throw away $100 didn't buy this tab, and they are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. I'd rather have a custom rom than a half-hearted(or worse) update from efun.

Comment

x touch tablets have a stock roms support even if they got some problems but xtouch tablets r cheaper than nextbook.
                        stock roms support doesnt that costly
                        samsung was using hotfile servers for uploading ...nextboo company just too noobs too lazy to do !

Comment

Well, they actually replied, and here was their response -

Dear Customer,
                          There actually isn't any updates to the software or firmware that are our or planning to be released, we haven't heard of any fatal errors occurring with the tablets that are in production or rotation as of yet. Normally after any fatal errors that arise shortly after release is when updates are released but at the moment there is none that we know of yet.

Thank You ,

AS8702
                          So basically, they only care about errors with the system, not if the security of the system is compromised. LOL

Something tells me that they probably run their IT Department in that fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by brienj View Post
                            Well, they actually replied, and here was their response -

So basically, they only care about errors with the system, not if the security of the system is compromised. LOL

Something tells me that they probably run their IT Department in that fashion.
                            I think the only updates they have ever issued were due to apps that were specifically advertised to work but didn't.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Pretty much the same response I got from their customer support department.

I just got off the phone with customer support & the person I talked to wasn't even aware of the vulnerability & as far as she knows they don't have any plans on issuing an update but she'll email me if she finds out anything new.

Comment

Working...
                              X