PMID702C and Google Play can't install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMID702C and Google Play can't install

Ok so I took the plunge and picked up a new Polaroid PMID702C this weekend at Big Lots. I already owned the PMID701i, but wanted one with the camera. I had successfully installed Google play on the 701i, but am having issues with the 702C.

I downloaded the gapps zip file and downloaded it to my tablet. I then ran the OneTimeInitializer, the Google Services framework, and finally the vending apk. unfortunately, the Play Store did not work - kept telling me it stopped working.

I figured I did a step wrong so I reset the tablet - erasing everything. I then attempted to reinstall the gapps and when I ran the Google Services Framework and the vending apk, I got this message:

"Application not installed - an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed"

Google framework and google play store do not show up as installed apps anywhere, and yet they are running in the background. I need to wipe both of these off completely so I can reinstall.

Anyone know how to do this, or give me some help here?

Thanks.

Permissions?

did you change the permissions after installing vending.apk? That's what fixed it for me:

Code:
    adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/vending.apk"
    Then reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by major_thom View Post
      did you change the permissions after installing vending.apk? That's what fixed it for me:

Code:
      adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/vending.apk"
      Then reboot.
      I don't know how to do that command....

Comment

Ask google how to use adb, or if you don't want to use the command line, most of the tutorials on installing Google Play describe how to use the Root Explorer app to do the same thing.

Maybe this will help.

Comment

It would be easier with root explorer. I can't remember if the free version allows you to change permissions.

Sent from my Admire running Lazy M6 with Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Surveyah View Post
            Ok so I took the plunge and picked up a new Polaroid PMID702C this weekend at Big Lots. I already owned the PMID701i, but wanted one with the camera. I had successfully installed Google play on the 701i, but am having issues with the 702C.

I downloaded the gapps zip file and downloaded it to my tablet. I then ran the OneTimeInitializer, the Google Services framework, and finally the vending apk. unfortunately, the Play Store did not work - kept telling me it stopped working.

I figured I did a step wrong so I reset the tablet - erasing everything. I then attempted to reinstall the gapps and when I ran the Google Services Framework and the vending apk, I got this message:

"Application not installed - an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed"

Google framework and google play store do not show up as installed apps anywhere, and yet they are running in the background. I need to wipe both of these off completely so I can reinstall.

Anyone know how to do this, or give me some help here?

Thanks.
            I'm pretty sure doing the factory reset doesn't get rid of the Google Services stuff like you think it would. A format and reflash of the the firmware will but not a reset.

You can manually delete the files via a file manager or root explorer. I think you need to remove vending.apk, and google services framework.apk from /system/app. If you delete them and then reboot the tablet that should shut down your previous install of Google Play enough to try again.

You can also try just force stopping and disabling them to stop them from running so you can try re-installing Google Play. To do that go to the apps screen then select "AppManager". Within AppManager tap "select all" and then scroll down to Google Services Framework, Google Play Store etc. and force stop and disable them.

Comment

Originally posted by major_thom View Post
              Ask google how to use adb, or if you don't want to use the command line, most of the tutorials on installing Google Play describe how to use the Root Explorer app to do the same thing.

Maybe this will help.
              http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...arket-and-more
              Yep! That thread has worked flawslessly several times for me. I particularly like N4RPS's walkthrough. Follow all 11 steps word for word and you should be golden. (At least it works fine for the 701's)

Originally Posted by N4RPS

In case the procedure you stated gives anyone else a problem, here's another way to install the Market.

In a nutshell, I just used Root Explorer to change permissions on the /system folder to read/write. The write permissions Root Explorer gives to the /system folder don't seem to be permanent, but perhaps someone can assist me with accomplishing THAT feat LATER.

Here is that other way, step by step (Thanks a million, xda-developers!):

1. Download and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip (forget where I got it; Google for it...),

extract it to a folder, & copy that folder to the SD card

2. Download the PAID version of Root Explorer & install on the tablet
              A version of Root Explorer with the RW option can be found here:
              http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=QhuGKTnJL

3. Open the Root Explorer app & navigate to the transferred .apk files

4. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk & install

5. When complete, click "Done" & return to the file location for Vending.apk

6. Long-press Vending.apk & select the "Move" option on pop-up menu

7. Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)

7. Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

8. Long-press Vending.apk & select "Permissions" from pop-up menu

9. Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

10. Install Vending.apk

11. Reboot your tablet (*I* didn't seem to need to, but it can't hurt, I suppose...)

Market now works as advertised. No crashies.

Icon ultimately updates to the Play Store icon, and now says 'Play Store'. This may be due to my setting updates to automatic in the app.

Comment

Originally posted by jtintle View Post
                It would be easier with root explorer. I can't remember if the free version allows you to change permissions.

Sent from my Admire running Lazy M6 with Tapatalk
                To mount R/W and make the system files read/writable you need the paid version..

Or you can download this version of Root Explorer that allows you to make the /System directory R/W:

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
                  To mount R/W and make the system files read/writable you need the paid version..

Or you can download this version of Root Explorer that allows you to make the /System directory R/W:
                  Thanks SingleDad, since I have the paid version, I've forgotten what the free version does. the paid version is well worth it, if you are going to do any customizing. I use it on my phone and tablet and love it.

Comment

I had problems installing the Play/Market on my daughters pmid702c too, so I did the factory reset from the menu, and followed the directions and used the gapps-2.3.4.zip file from this site:

There are many many budget tablets on the market,  all with about the same specs and performance. Given that there’s not much to distinguish them (other than appearance), about the only way to choose among them is whether you can install Android Market and how well a tablet can run the apps you need. This…

worked like a charm for me yesterday, still working today, although still shows as Market not Play, but have installed 4 games, flash 11, office and other aps with no problem.

Love the site, will be using more of your advice in the future.

Comment

Ok....kinda at my wits end here......been trying to get Google Play installed and tried all the suggestions here, and just cannot get it installed. Here is what i have done so far...

1) Flashed the ROM LiveSuite from the SouthernTelecom website. This initially worked so that i could install the utilities in gapps 2.3.4, but then that Market app stopped working.

2) I deleted all the files off the tablet, reset the tablet, tried to reinstall, and got to GoogleServicesFramework, and it said "Application Not Installed".

3) I uninstalled GSF, reset the tablet, tried again. Got Application Not Installed.

4) I searched for and deleted any files associated with GSF, tried again. Got Application Not Installed.

5) as far as i can see, neither GSF or Market are installed on my tablet, yet I can''t get the GSF re-installed.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Comment

Rather than "installing" them, use `adb push` or root explorer to move the APKs to /system/app then change the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--). I don't think you'll ever be able to 'install' them in the normal sense of installing an APK.

Comment

"Rather than "installing" them, use `adb push` or root explorer to move the APKs to /system/app then change the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--). I don't think you'll ever be able to 'install' them in the normal sense of installing an APK."

did as you instructed....same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Surveyah View Post

did as you instructed....same result.
                            Can you elaborate? I assume if you pushed the apps then you wouldn't get the "application not installed" error which (I think) you saw when you tried to install the APK by clicking on it. So now that the new APKs are pushed to /system/app, you should see the Play Store/ Market in your apps list. What happens when you open the market app?

Also, do this:
                            Code:
                            adb shell 'ls -l /system/app'
                            and post the result.

If you can see the market app but it doesn't open, it probably throws an exception which you should be able to see in `adb logcat`.

Comment

Working...
                            X