UNBRICKING! Don't flash the M8 ROM on your S89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNBRICKING! Don't flash the M8 ROM on your S89

Hey all, so for the heck of it I tried flashing the M8 ROM on my S89.

BRICKED!

So I tried to unbrick using the SDcard trick. WOW what a PAIN.... I finally got it but it took like 3 hours! I am not sure exactly how I did it either.

Bottom line here is what I learned.

Use the SDcard making tool and the u-boot.bin that came with the AMLogic_tools.rar. Not the one in the SDcard maker RAR but the one in the root of the tool RAR. The u-boot.bin that is in the sdcard maker rar doesn't work.

Since I dumped recovery from the stock ROM I had a good recovery.img. I will post that for you all later.

Then because the M8 bootloader was not right, recovery WOULD NOT mount any of the partitions so no way to flash a ROM using a ZIP file. It just fails every time. So that was out.

I kept wondering why I could not flash using the flash tool from recovery. USB just would not come up. I figured since Tronsmart supplied the u-boot.bin in the tools RAR there must be a way.
    Then I saw this file also: usb刷机工具说明.wps
    When I put this on the SDcard with u-boot.bin BAM! When booting from SDcard, now the USB port came up and the AML flash tool would see it.

I figured I was golden.... BUT NOPE!

Now the flash tool would not flash. It would fail every time writing BOOT_COMP at about 4%.
    So I kept fooling with the flash tool trying different erase choices. I got it to flash past boot_comp and then it would fail on initial disk at 5%. Somehow using different erase settings I got it to write past initial disk and then it would fail at 6% writing boot. HOWEVER at that point it would boot into flash mode without the special SDcard. Basically it flashed u-boot by that point. When I then used the flash tool to flash, it worked 100%.

So I managed to unbrick but again I am not sure how I did it exactly!

Since I now know it can be done, I am going to figure it out so I can tell you all how to ubrick from a hard brick.

Stay tuned.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Ynt: UNBRICKING! Don't flash the M8 ROM on your S89

As i know there are many guys hard bricked when installing rom on onda v975m using m802 AML chipset these tips may be helpfull for them also.

GT-N7000...

Comment

Gotta love Bob for even attempting this and providing possible soloutions, its been said a million times how grateful we all are for the various devs spending there valuable time getting us all out of shit creek and making our experiences with each and every device more satisfying. How you guys know the stuff you do is beyond me, I used to think I knew my stuff and im the go to guy with friends and familys tech problems but I cant begin to wonder where you guys learnt your shit from! Anyway, just a general thank you to all of you, I was dubious about getting a s802 device let alone another Tronsmart product after my experience with the Tronsmart CX-919 vs the OEM I replaced it with, but as soon as I saw Finless had bought one, amongst others, my order was placed. Now ive just gotta wait for those tossers over @ geekbuying to get there asses in gear and send it my way, seen as there was no presell notice when I placed my order on the 13/4 then I am informed its is out of stock as of the 14th and no new stock till at least the end of the month... hmmm... not a patient kond of guy when it comes to my gadgets

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

"... I tried flashing the M8 ROM on my S89..."
        Sorry for that question, but way do you do/try it? Inspired by this to try the rooted and added Google Apps version http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/...-amlogic-s802/ ?

Does 'SDcard making tool' mean 'burnBootCard.rar'?

BTW:
        Because at tronsmart.com there isn't any tool:

(But I think, it is the same way as at http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ogic-device%85)
        It seems so, they will name/call the standard as 'Elite Pro' in Europe?...

@Smokez: Eric wrote something about new stock next week...I have to wait too... I've ordered two day ago (fifo (first in / first out)
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
          "... I tried flashing the M8 ROM on my S89..."
          Sorry for that question, but way do you do/try it? Inspired by this to try the rooted and added Google Apps version http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/...-amlogic-s802/ ?

Does 'SDcard making tool' mean 'burnBootCard.rar'?

BTW:
          Because at tronsmart.com there isn't any tool:

(But I think, it is the same way as at http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ogic-device%85)
          It seems so, they will name/call the standard as 'Elite Pro' in Europe?...

@Smokez: Eric wrote something about new stock next week...I have to wait too... I've ordered two day ago (fifo (first in / first out)

Did you try it too and you are bricked?

If so, I will work hard to tell you how to unbrick.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            Did you try it too and you are bricked?

If so, I will work hard to tell you how to unbrick.

Bob
            No, sorry, a little misunderstanding...
            I asked only of curiosity...
            I have to wait some weeks till my box will arrive
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Maybe it is interesting for you:
              At the past, I have analysed a little bit the solution by BenniBenassi to unbrick the MX

If you download the MIDNIGHT-RECOVERY-SD-CARD or the package by BenniBenassi and have a look at it at binary mode (maybe with WinHEX; but I think first you have to flash it to SD or USBdev, because it is a compressed img) you will find out, if I remember correctly, that the MBR/Partition doesn't start at 0x00.
              I think, there maybe exist the U-boot at starting at 0x00 and behind it, the MBR/Partition or something like this...
              (Long time ago I have a look at it)
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Hello everyone ... I think I've bricked my Beelink M8-B (the round on, black and red)

What happened? I tried updating with the tool "Amlogic "USB Burning Tool" via microUSB / OTG and the cable unplugged (I think) while updating.
                I now have red fixed light, No other sign of life.

The device is still view by pc, and I tried again with the tool Amlogic "USB Burning Tool" and I have always the same error [0x32010101] at 5%

What can I do.

I understand tha Finless have unbricked... how?!!?!?!
                Please Help me!

Comment

Read this thread

Bob

Comment

Find this file " usb刷机工具说明.wps "

BRICKED!

So I tried to unbrick using the SDcard trick. WOW what a PAIN.... I finally got it but it took like 3 hours! I am not sure exactly how I did it either.

Use the SDcard making tool and the u-boot.bin that came with the AMLogic_tools.rar. Not the one in the SDcard maker RAR but the one in the root of the tool RAR. The u-boot.bin that is in the sdcard maker rar doesn't work.

Since I dumped recovery from the stock ROM I had a good recovery.img. I will post that for you all later.

Then because the M8 bootloader was not right, recovery WOULD NOT mount any of the partitions so no way to flash a ROM using a ZIP file. It just fails every time. So that was out.

I kept wondering why I could not flash using the flash tool from recovery. USB just would not come up. I figured since Tronsmart supplied the u-boot.bin in the tools RAR there must be a way.
                    When I put this on the SDcard with u-boot.bin BAM! When booting from SDcard, now the USB port came up and the AML flash tool would see it.

Now the flash tool would not flash. It would fail every time writing BOOT_COMP at about 4%.
                    So I kept fooling with the flash tool trying different erase choices. I got it to flash past boot_comp and then it would fail on initial disk at 5%. Somehow using different erase settings I got it to write past initial disk and then it would fail at 6% writing boot. HOWEVER at that point it would boot into flash mode without the special SDcard. Basically it flashed u-boot by that point. When I then used the flash tool to flash, it worked 100%.

Since I now know it can be done, I am going to figure it out so I can tell you all how to ubrick from a hard brick.

Stay tuned.

Bob

Hi, i am trying to find this file usb刷机工具说明.wps but i don't were to find it. Could you please help me ?
                    I have briked my device too in the same way xD , now i trying to fix the device.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Tiago View Post
                      Hi, i am trying to find this file usb刷机工具说明.wps but i don't were to find it. Could you please help me ?
                      I have briked my device too in the same way xD , now i trying to fix the device.

Thank you
                      Sorry guy, you don't have to dubble post !

usb刷机工具说明.wps
                      => USB Burning Tool v2.0.0.140306 Alpha x86
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

BRICKED!

Stay tuned.

Bob
                        Hey Finless, you got stuck with this?
                        [ROM] Beelink M8-S82 Round TV Box. Leolas V1.0.0 ?!
                        Sorry for my bad english

Tronsmart Vega S89 Elite | Finless Rom 1.7 | Searching for a good air mouse.

Comment

How can I make this "special sd card" to enter the flash (recovery) mod?

Comment

Re: UNBRICKING! Don't flash the M8 ROM on your S89

Originally posted by cherokee View Post
                            ?????
                            REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                            My devices:
                            Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                            MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                            Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                            Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                            Gearbest.com)
                            MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                            Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                            Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee View Post
                              NO, with square one FW at round one....
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                              X